Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

is this lens worth buying?

i'm into a small budget in finding good or repairable lenses here in the philippines...

i stumbled upon this VIVITAR SERIES 1 35-85 f/2.8 lens but im pretty curious about the markings inside the lens... is this fungus? is this a bad sign? its on sale for 30 dollars

HEEEELLPP!!!

Attached Images

05-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have that lens.

In its day it was quite remarkable. It was a constant f:2.8 throughout the range. It is sharp at f:4.0 and above. It was, as named by Robert Monaghan, the original "Vivitar Cult Lens".

Today it is not so outstanding as it was back then. The world has caught up. It is heavy. The extra speed of f:2.8 is only usable for brightness in focusing or when that extra speed is the only way to catch the image. It is vaifocal, needing to be refocused after zooming.

As for fungus, some can easily be cleaned, some not. If the fungus is between cemented lenses or if it requires complex disassembly. It is not worth it. You can't know that until you take it apart.

Fungus eats the lens coating. Even if cleaned, some coating will be missing. Coating is VERY expensive to replace.

It is a roll of the dice, $30, and several hours of your time.
05-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That doesn't look like fungus to me, but it doesn't look good either. Hard to say from that shot. I would probably buy it for $30, if the light path through the center is clear.