Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lens hood help needed

Recently I changed from the standard strap to a sling-type. It's the LensLoop and my neck couldn't be happier. I'm not so sure about my mind, as tonight I brought my K5 up to my eye only to find that the filter window on the DA 18-135 was missing! I retraced my steps all the way back, but couldn't find that little plastic piece.

Amazingly, I couldn't find this hood (PH-RBC 62mm) for sale anywhere (at least in the U.S.). Since I have a DA 18-250 which is also 62mm I tried it's hood, but it does not fit. So, I'm weighing my options and asking the PF community for some input. I thought about some black duct tape, but I'm worried about accumulating dust near the lens. Should I not even be concerned? The open area ends up being at the bottom of the hood so the only stray light to worry about would be from that direction which is admittedly rare.

05-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
The open area ends up being at the bottom of the hood so the only stray light to worry about would be from that direction which is admittedly rare.
Shooting into the sun on snowy days could be a problem.
05-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Put a piece of gaffers tape on each side.
05-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know if this will work, however (if you are referring to the little plastic piece that you would remove to use the lens hood with a polarizer) you might be able to 'borrow' that piece from a different hood, I.e one from something like say a DA18-55. Again, I have no idea if this will work or not... In none else, you could just tape it, cut a piece of wood/plastic to fit and glue/tape it in, worst case scenario, you could get a 62mm screw on hood..

05-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
Forum Member

I used velcro wide enough to cover the hole and of course longer. I used marine goop to hold to pieces (small) on the lense hood on either side of the hole and stuck the longer piece to these.It"s not pretty but works good. I just pull one side back (which I left long so I had a bit of a tab to grab) and adjust away on my CPL. Works good for me.
05-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I don't know if this will work, however (if you are referring to the little plastic piece that you would remove to use the lens hood with a polarizer) you might be able to 'borrow' that piece from a different hood, I.e one from something like say a DA18-55. Again, I have no idea if this will work or not... In none else, you could just tape it, cut a piece of wood/plastic to fit and glue/tape it in, worst case scenario, you could get a 62mm screw on hood..
I lost the one from my 18-135WR too.

Annoyingly the one from the 18-55WR is exactly the same width, and is the same curvature (even though its 52 vs 62) but the cover is 1mm "less deep" so does not click into place. It wont stay in.

DIY solution looks the way to go where it's absolutely necessary.
05-03-2013, 11:22 PM   #7

eBay is usually a good cheap source for lens hoods from China. If you're lucky, the plastic 'window' cover will fit your original Pentax hood, otherwise you will have another complete hood available. But for myself I wouldn't be too concerned about it, as the amount of 'stray light' entering from the bottom of the lens is not likely to cause too many problems. More of an issue if you fit the hood with the window at the top!

05-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
black duct tape
You already given your own answer, duct repairs all.
05-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
You already given your own answer, duct repairs all.
Duct tape and WD40 is all you ever need.

If it's supposed to move but it's stuck use WD40

If it's loose or came off use the Duct Tape

A big hammer and lots of shouting is sometimes useful too.
05-04-2013, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Duct tape and WD40 is all you ever need.

If it's supposed to move but it's stuck use WD40

If it's loose or came off use the Duct Tape

A big hammer and lots of shouting is sometimes useful too.
You left out the RV owner's favourite: If it leaks use GOOP.
05-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
I lost the one from my 18-135WR too.

Annoyingly the one from the 18-55WR is exactly the same width, and is the same curvature (even though its 52 vs 62) but the cover is 1mm "less deep" so does not click into place. It wont stay in.

DIY solution looks the way to go where it's absolutely necessary.
Yeah, I tried that and found the same. I understand that different engineering teams at Pentax, as well as every other manufacturer, work on independent projects, so there's bound to be differences in the way accessories work. I just wish there would be more cross communication. It would make life so much easier for we consumers.

QuoteOriginally posted by percy Quote
More of an issue if you fit the hood with the window at the top!
I hadn't even realized the window could be at the top until I started investigating a solution. I've only had the lens for a few days and hadn't swapped lenses yet.

I may wind up getting a screw-on collapsable hood. I saw a few that also have female threads inside to use a filter. In the meantime I've cut a rectangular piece of thin foam rubber insulation and secured it over the window with one of those elastic wrist bands that Lance (formerly well-respected) Armstrong made popular. Seems to do the job and I can lift up the edge so I might still be able to use a polarizer.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, even the tongue-in-cheek ones
02-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Found this post when looking to see if there was one - I lost my filter window too! :O (yes I know no one has posted here for almost a year)

Pentax doesn't seem to sell the filter windows, and the new hoods cost $50+ - and I'm still paying off the cost of my K-30!!

I bought a cheap, non-pentax hood off ebay, but when it arrived it only screwed in to where the filter goes, so that's no good. I guess I'll just have to try one of the DIY techniques here. Thanks for giving some tips.
02-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
Inactive Account

We need to 3d scan all these hoods to 3d print replacements, $50 for a $.02 piece of plastic is ridiculous
02-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
We need to 3d scan all these hoods to 3d print replacements, $50 for a $.02 piece of plastic is ridiculous
A 3D print would be nice! Although I don't have a 3D printer...
02-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Even if you don't have the printer yourself, it is about putting the companies that sell overpriced pieces of simple plastic on their toes. There is probably a place in Sydney where you can use a 3d printer but at this point you need to kind of look around and ask some questions to find someone or a business with one. Eventually I would expect them to be common at copy shops like kinkos in the US or possibly at hardware or auto stores where you will be able to order a part for your appliance or car and pick it up a few hours later.