Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

Does this lens has Haze?

I live in Thailand and I bought Takumar 85mm F/1.8 (M42) from a 100% positive feedback Ebay seller in Canada. Unfortunately, I found the lens had haze. So I showed the picture of haze to seller and he agreed to have it returned and will make refund. But when he received it back, he claimed the lens was clear and asked me to make arrangements to collect it. In the alternative, he will dispose of it after 30 days. This is impossible request to me because the total shipping cost (including the shipping cost I had already paid to send it back to him) and import tax if I accept his offer would be high enough to buy another good Takumar lens without haze. I don't want to pay twice for the same lens and still got the haze.

I need the expert eyes of members this forum to help confirm if the lens has haze. My understanding is when we look straight through lens, we may not find the haze but with correct angle of light the haze will show. So I have attached the photos I took from this camera before sending back to seller for you review.

Thank you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 

Last edited by Chidlom; 05-04-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Spell check
05-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #2

Original Poster
Haze is shown in the second picture. First picture is to show it looks clear at direct angle. The last picture is to show scratch

Last edited by Chidlom; 05-04-2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Clarify picture
05-04-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the seller refuses to refund your purchase, file a SNAD (significantly not as described) claim with PayPal. With the documentation you show here, you'll have no problem. With something like this, PayPal is always strongly inclined to side with the buyer. The buyer agreed to a refund--he can't just change his mind like that. If he wants to maintain his 100% rating I'm sure he'll see the light.
05-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He should give a refund if he accepted a return. He may be ignoring the haze if it is difficult to spot. In old lenses, a little bit of haze is to be expected, and will have little effect on the image. Still, he should have been mare careful. Personally I would not have sent the lens back unless the haze was very obvious, but I would have asked for a partial refund, if he didn't want a negative report. If he promised a refund on eBay, you may be able to appeal via PayPal.

05-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks johnyates and arnold for your comments. The problems is more complicated because the shipping took 66 days to reach me and by that time it was too late to open a case with Ebay. It is new knowledge to me that you must open a case with Ebay within 45 days since transaction date and you can open a case though you are not so sure if the problem really exists. The seller informed me the shipping time is upto 60 days (I paid $50 for shipping and don't expect sea freight, unfortunately it was), so I did not want to open the case prematurely to ruin his 100% positive feedback reputation. Unfortunately, 45 days Ebay limit may have some reason and I cannot get refund through Ebay and Paypal. I have to make my case that the lens has haze and hope he will keep his reputation by refunding me. Meanwhile, I also report to Ebay about this case and let's see how Ebay will handle this case.
05-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Another picture of haze
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo 
05-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Woah.... That indeed IS hazing! Tell you what, just file or call up PayPal and explain.
Worse case scenario, accept the fact that you've got shortchanged.
Leave the seller a super negative review and feedback.
Then, if you feel REALLY vengeful, like me, look out for any cheap items that he listing, e.g. BIN $1.99 items, keep buying and leaving him the lowest negative feedback/review to sabotage his business.

That's what i do often...

05-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Woah.... That indeed IS hazing! Tell you what, just file or call up PayPal and explain.
Worse case scenario, accept the fact that you've got shortchanged.
Leave the seller a super negative review and feedback.
Then, if you feel REALLY vengeful, like me, look out for any cheap items that he listing, e.g. BIN $1.99 items, keep buying and leaving him the lowest negative feedback/review to sabotage his business.

That's what i do often...
Good idea. Hope I don't have to go that far.
05-05-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That's tough.
If it was me I would still do my damndest to kick up a fuss with PayPal/Ebay. He agreed to a return/refund, and is now reneging--he has put you into an impossible situation.
You may have a recourse if you paid through a credit card -- you could ask your bank for a chargeback.
I wish you luck.
05-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 4th picture shows very clear it is a sign of haze.

I think you can leave feedback in 60 or 90days.
Leave him a negative feedback if you can now.
Call ebay/paypal and file a claim.

Show proof to ebay/paypal that you already shipped the item back. (like tracking number)
hopefully you get your money back.
05-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
The 4th picture shows very clear it is a sign of haze.

I think you can leave feedback in 60 or 90days.
Leave him a negative feedback if you can now.
Call ebay/paypal and file a claim.

Show proof to ebay/paypal that you already shipped the item back. (like tracking number)
hopefully you get your money back.
Thank you for your confirmation and advice.