Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Vivitar 1.4x Teleconverter for Pentax k30?

Hi,

I heard that this TC is not compatible with the K30 but work on the older pentax bodies like Kr,k5,Kx even..

Would like to double confirm before buying it as i am located in singapore,looking for a copy of Sigma APO Teleconverter 1.4x EX DG for Pentax AF but seemed difficult to find one..Found this vivitar 1.4x TC instead but read that there are some issues with using it with k30,the screen will keep flashing and also does not allow auto focus at all as well..

05-04-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Be careful when buying the Sigma 1.4x convertor. It is only specified to work with a few Sigma lenses. It is not a general 1.4x convertor that will work with any lens.
05-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sigma 100-300 F4

QuoteOriginally posted by Chuckie Quote
Be careful when buying the Sigma 1.4x convertor. It is only specified to work with a few Sigma lenses. It is not a general 1.4x convertor that will work with any lens.
Hi,thanks but i do know that the sigma 1.4x can be use on the sigma 100-300 f4 but it is quite difficult to find one in singapore itself..if anyone can sell and ship over to singapore for a good price,i am willing to pay
05-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you have a Sigma 100-300 then by all means get Sigma's TC. Images taken with this combo are very good (I think there is a comparison of some teleconverters on this lens somewhere) .

05-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
But too bad it is difficult to find one in Singapore locally,if anyone were to sell me the sigma 1.4 apo dg teleconverter and willing to ship to Singapore,i will get one as it is what i am looking for..but now i am looking for alternative if i cannot manage to find one set.
05-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Sigma Singapore

Sigma Singapore

http://sigma-photo.com.sg/uploads/ACCESSORIES.pdf

Tele Converter List - SIGMA CORPORATION

Better ask them if the TC actually exists...
10-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I'm reviving this question, since I can't see that anyone answered it. I saw the one post somewhere (I forget where) from someone saying the Vivitar Series 1 1.4x teleconverter did not work with the K30, which makes no sense if it works with the K5 and other Pentax models. I emailed Vivitar to ask but haven't received any response. Does anyone have experience using this teleconverter on a K30? If so, can you comment, if it works at all, how it does with screw-drive lenses? (I have a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO tele macro and it would be really nice if autofocus would still work, even if a bit grudgingly.

Adorama and B&H seem to have just gotten these back in stock, and if they work well and have the optical quality of the Tamron, it would be a good deal.

Thanks!
11-04-2013, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by entropy1 Quote
I'm reviving this question, since I can't see that anyone answered it. I saw the one post somewhere (I forget where) from someone saying the Vivitar Series 1 1.4x teleconverter did not work with the K30, which makes no sense if it works with the K5 and other Pentax models. I emailed Vivitar to ask but haven't received any response. Does anyone have experience using this teleconverter on a K30? If so, can you comment, if it works at all, how it does with screw-drive lenses? (I have a Sigma 400mm f5.6 APO tele macro and it would be really nice if autofocus would still work, even if a bit grudgingly.

Adorama and B&H seem to have just gotten these back in stock, and if they work well and have the optical quality of the Tamron, it would be a good deal.

Thanks!

I have one and works fine with my k30. Use it with a FA 100-300, autofocus works well with good light. Did not know they were not supposed to work with the k30?

11-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
I have one and works fine with my k30. Use it with a FA 100-300, autofocus works well with good light. Did not know they were not supposed to work with the k30?
Very interesting - thank you! In the interim, I received the follow reply from Vivitar/Sakar:
Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry regarding compatibility of the 1.4X-P Teleconverter with the Pentax K30 Camera.

We are sorry to inform that this Teleconverter is not compatible with the Pentax K30 Camera.
I sent back a reply asking if this was not at all, only manual focus, or just not SDM/HSM/USM, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'll post if I get one.

If this will work at least with manual focus, and maybe screw-drive in good light, I will go for it.

Any other reports/experiences out there with the Vivitar 1.4x TC and the K30? Anybody with a Sigma 400mm f5.6?
11-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #10

Very interesting - thank you! In the interim, I received the follow reply from Vivitar/Sakar:
Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry regarding compatibility of the 1.4X-P Teleconverter with the Pentax K30 Camera.

We are sorry to inform that this Teleconverter is not compatible with the Pentax K30 Camera.
I sent back a reply asking if this was not at all, only manual focus, or just not SDM/HSM/USM, but haven't gotten a reply yet. I'll post if I get one.

If this will work at least with manual focus, and maybe screw-drive in good light, I will go for it.

Any other reports/experiences out there with the Vivitar 1.4x TC and the K30? Anybody with a Sigma 400mm f5.6?
After seeing your response from Vivitar I had to take mine out and try it again. I had not used it for awhile, but I tried 3 different lenses, all screw drive AF, and they all AF and meter fine on my K30. Again like any tc they like a lot of light, but I was AF indoors with a 70-200mm no problem.
11-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
After seeing your response from Vivitar I had to take mine out and try it again. I had not used it for awhile, but I tried 3 different lenses, all screw drive AF, and they all AF and meter fine on my K30. Again like any tc they like a lot of light, but I was AF indoors with a 70-200mm no problem.
I just received a reply to my follow-up question. The Vivitar/Sakar folks said:
Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry regarding the 1.4X-P Teleconverter.

We are sorry to inform that this Teleconverter is completely incompatible with the Pentax K30 Camera.
That seems very different from your experience. I have to say, I cannot imagine why this should not be compatible. There is the one review on Amazon (I found it again) claiming their K30 just blinked lights and wouldn't work with this TC, but I tend to suspect they did something wrong and your experience should reflect how this TC works with the K30.

Anyone else have any positive or negative experience to report? Another positive report would be very reassuring before I order one.

Thanks!
11-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thanks!
Be careful. A 1.4x on the 400/5.6 gives you an F8 max aperture which likely will not AF at all. You really need the aperture below F6.9 or F6.3 preferably to get reliable AF

But the post I saw about the TC not working was a l,title vague to lens combos and whether thenposter was trying to use a pn HSM lens with a TC that did not have power contacts etc
11-08-2013, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

I just got the Sigma APO 1.4 TC to see if it would work with my Tokina ATX 5.6 / 400mm and K-30. The combination works perfectly with no problem in A/F.
11-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not certain but I believe the same TC is sold under different brands, including Pro-Optic, which I have reviewed: Pro-Optic Multi-Coated 1.4x Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database. Notes on compatibility included in the review. Not with the K-30, but I don't know why the K-30 would behave differently than any other recent Pentax body.
12-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #15

I just got the Vivitar 1.4x and can report it autofocuses and meters fine on a K30 with a Sigma f5.6/400mm APO tele-macro. I haven't had a chance to play with it in dim light or examine effects on IQ (to answer the key question - for small, distant things like birds, does it yield better photos than just cropping?), but it definitely works (with a screw-drive lens, that is).