Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 02:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Will I lose your respect....

if I use the 58mm UV filter I bought today on my 31 Limited?
I know many claim to lose some IQ when using these filters but I'm scared of messing up the front glass which would be a catastrophe.
On a side note, I also bought a 58mm Hoya CPL for it because I can't step down my 67mm CPL due to the hood. I can mount it over the UV filter with no vignetting. I know I don't want to do this in actual use but I tried to see.
I took the camera with lens attached into the camera store. They sell Pentax there but don't have much and I thought the guy might like to see the lens. He said oh, a 49mm filter, I said no, it's a 58mm. He said I'll take your word for it and got a 58mm filter. Son-of-gun, it screwed right on! I thought it was a bit funny when he tried to screw the hood off. I guess he's never bothered to find out much info on Pentax lenses. He didn't have a clue what he was looking at. I was glad I'd put the body into manual focus mode before going in after he started reefing on the hood. No, I said, it's built in!
Another customer at the counter looked over and asked me if that was the 77mm or 31mm Limited. He has a K10D and a Spotmatic:-). Two customers in the know and a clueless salesman. It was cool to run into another Pentaxian in the wild.
Another gray crappy day in the Pacific Northwest but tomorrow is supposed to be better.

03-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What I dp know is that UV filters save the front element of my lenses so many times. Without these filters, I don't know how many of my lenses will fall victims to food contamination, sticky mud, unexpected fall and trauma.

Most people who claimed compromised image quality from the UV filters usually cannot provide evidence that this is the case.

However, I would usually buy the thinest filter available just to satisfy my own ego
03-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With a lens that expensive and used that frequently (if you're anything like me, it's the first one you grab), I would hope you have a UV filter for it!

I always pass right by the cheap uncoated ones and buy a good multicoated filter. The Hoya HMC ones are a terrific value.
03-09-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I liken it to condom use personally. Provides good peace of mind in unknown environments but I'd rather do without than wondering if it could have been better. I have seen the difference a cheapy filter can do (mutes sharpness) but I run a good CPL most of the time outside and don't see any loss of IQ, so - if you're willing to spend for the glass, I'd recommend to purchase an equivalent quality filter to ensure you're not dummying down the initial investment at all. As mentioned, the Hoyas (I can vouch for the Pro-1s) or B+W. I'm sure others are good, but I have these to say.

03-09-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Finn Quote
I always pass right by the cheap uncoated ones and buy a good multicoated filter. The Hoya HMC ones are a terrific value.
Would a good multicoated filter also help with an uncoated lens in terms of flare-ups and such (I am thinking some of the older non-coated lenses)?
03-09-2008, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

all my lenses have it, as James said, if not for it, i would've dinged up my da* already, as well as my sigma.....lens hood does provide protection too, but not always....
03-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Handheld, FA 31mm f1.8 AL Limited, AV priority, f1.8, 1/4 sec, SR on, UV filter:-), iso1600, manually focused with Katz Eye screen. Straight default conversion from PEF to JPG in Lightroom. The only thing I've done is adjust the WB.
I think I have a keeper.

Looking at the exif I see I forgot to change my keywords when importing to Lightroom, this was not taken with the Super Program(fixed).
The flare control on this lens is truly amazing, same as the bokeh. I can force some purple fringing though but I will live with it. I'm not perfect either.

Last edited by Eaglerapids; 03-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.
03-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Love the dog pic.

I consider myself a filter freak. I am very hesitant to take a lens outside without one. As a matter of fact, I keep extra UV filters on hand--most of these have come off of lenses that I've since gotten rid of . With my LBA, I never know what size filter I'm going to need, so I want to be ready once my latest purchase arrives. I've got in a bid on a Sears 70-210/4 on Fleabay that I'm hoping to pick up for around $20 or so, shipping included, assuming that nobody else bids on it between now and later on this afternoon when it ends. I know it takes either a 55 or 58 mm filter and I already have both.

Heather
03-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Filters in most scenarios are fine, but in backlit situations or ones where there are strong point sources of light, even good filters will generate weird inverted reflections and the like.

Hoya HMCs are good, but B+W MRCs are even better, particularly because they are brass (easier to screw on/off) and clean (Hoyas are really difficult to clean).

I use Pentax SMC and B+W MRCs on most of my lenses and they're all very good.
03-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use filters on all my lenses except macro ones, actually it's the first thing I'd do when I buy a lens, new or used. I've tested many times w or w/o filter, can't see much difference at all. Of course I only use good quality filters like Pentax SMC ones (on all my FA LEs and FA* lenses ) or B+W MRC ones. The only lenses I don't put filters on are Pentax macro lenses, mostly due to the distance between the filter and front element which might cause flare ...
03-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
What I dp know is that UV filters save the front element of my lenses so many times. Without these filters, I don't know how many of my lenses will fall victims to food contamination, sticky mud, unexpected fall and trauma.

Most people who claimed compromised image quality from the UV filters usually cannot provide evidence that this is the case.

However, I would usually buy the thinest filter available just to satisfy my own ego
I used UV filters for years, then stopped. A metal lens hood covers trauma and fall even better than the filter. On the other hand, and there is always another hand, when on a beach in wind or other places where grit is flying around, on goes the filter. I also use them near salt water.
03-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax SMC Cloudy filter on the front of every lens. Obviously, I'm a warmth nut, but I live at 4000ft elevation with a big blue sky reflector cooling all my shots (most of my travels involve altitude as well. Light is bluer at altitude and is very blue under the reflection of a blue sky. The cloudy filter is also wonderful for shade or drab cloudy days as well as shots lit with flash. White balance setting does not remove the warm cast as I thought it might. Cloudy white balance setting is a bit more pronounced--warmer--than the mild filter. Also note that there is variation between Pentax cloudy filters--most batches are mild. Possibly the last batch before Pentax stopped making filters is way too warm--close to 81C or KR3).

Side note: Pentax 112mm and 150mm Protective Front Filters came standard on Pentax superteles--both F* or FA*. So the most expensive optics Pentax has made for 35mm come with factory supplied front filters. Also note that these filters do have a skylight--slightly pink--cast.
03-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I used UV filters for years, then stopped. A metal lens hood covers trauma and fall even better than the filter. On the other hand, and there is always another hand, when on a beach in wind or other places where grit is flying around, on goes the filter. I also use them near salt water.
I use metal lens hoods in place of protective filters, too. I try to find that absolute deepest hood I can get that won't vignette. Now that I'm shooting digital, that means I can use a hood that was designed to go on a 135mm lens on my 85mm. And I can use the hood originaly designed for the 85mm on my 50mm lens. I suppose it would be possible to touch the front element, but you'd almost have to do it intentionally. The main reason I don't like using a protective filter is because I like backlit scenes and I often include the light source in my pics. As someone pointed out earlier, even the best filter will often cause unwanted reflections under those conditions. So, I leave the filter off...use the deepest hood I can get away with...and I keep my grubby fingers off the front of the lens! lol
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Pentax SMC Cloudy filter on the front of every lens. Obviously, I'm a warmth nut, but I live at 4000ft elevation with a big blue sky reflector cooling all my shots (most of my travels involve altitude as well. Light is bluer at altitude and is very blue under the reflection of a blue sky. The cloudy filter is also wonderful for shade or drab cloudy days as well as shots lit with flash. White balance setting does not remove the warm cast as I thought it might. Cloudy white balance setting is a bit more pronounced--warmer--than the mild filter. Also note that there is variation between Pentax cloudy filters--most batches are mild. Possibly the last batch before Pentax stopped making filters is way too warm--close to 81C or KR3).

Side note: Pentax 112mm and 150mm Protective Front Filters came standard on Pentax superteles--both F* or FA*. So the most expensive optics Pentax has made for 35mm come with factory supplied front filters. Also note that these filters do have a skylight--slightly pink--cast.
I did buy a "Moose" Hoya CPL - it has 81a glass. This offsets the tendency of polarizers to "blue" things a bit. Have not taken enough with it to find out the difference.