Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member
iht's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 482
Vintage Takumar 83/1.9 Repair?

Hi there, I've got an ancient Takumar 83/1.9 that looks great on the outside, but turning the aperture ring doesn't stop down the aperture.

I'm hoping it's just a lot of oil, but probably the spring came loose or broke.

Any recommendations for repairs? I contacted Eric Hendrickson already - he wouldn't touch it (it seems Eric doesn't touch a lot of stuff these days). Essex Camera Service in NJ just went out of business, so yeah, any recommendation would be appreciated. I'm happy to send the lens to anywhere in the world, but would prefer either US (where I have contact) or Australia (where I am).

Thanks in advance.

05-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
You can always send it to me. But as all things apply, there's always a slight risk involve.
Otherwise, i don't mind doing it for you free..
05-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
iht
Veteran Member
iht's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 482
Original Poster
Thanks SyncGuy Well, maybe if I'm REALLY desperate and no one else can recommend another tried and tested service Not doubting your ability or anything
05-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
LoL! No problem on that.... The only thing i am lazy to do is separation repair. And i've no experience in opening up DA lenses with QSF features, and zooms too. Otherwise, all's well.. Haha!

05-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,992
Try contacting Eric Hendrickson, Home
05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
iht
Veteran Member
iht's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 482
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Try contacting Eric Hendrickson, Home
Thanks Swift1 for your suggestion, but as I have already stated in my post, Eric doesn't want to touch it.
05-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,992
QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Thanks Swift1 for your suggestion, but as I have already stated in my post, Eric doesn't want to touch it.
Doh!
Sorry, I missed that.
05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NORNALUP W.A.
Posts: 15
Try Max Dellaway,he is in Perth W.A.0419917620.He`s fixing 2 of my cameras at the moment.Graeme.

05-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian
jeffshaddix's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 1,371
I just had great luck with KEH repairs. I think they'd do a good job on your Takumar. You can call them beforehand to confirm that they will work on your lens.
05-06-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,858
I hate to insult your intelligence, but it is a preset lens, so the aperture ring with the click-stops can be overridden by the ring that turns smoothly.

On my 135/3.5 preset, the front barrel unscrews rather easily and the blades are right there, but I don't know anything about the preset mechanism. With the value/rarity of the 83/1.9, I wouldn't want to learn on it.
05-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 818
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I hate to insult your intelligence, but it is a preset lens, so the aperture ring with the click-stops can be overridden by the ring that turns smoothly.

On my 135/3.5 preset, the front barrel unscrews rather easily and the blades are right there, but I don't know anything about the preset mechanism. With the value/rarity of the 83/1.9, I wouldn't want to learn on it.
Ah.... Now that you've state that it's a preset, guess i'm out coz i've never had a hand on opening up a preset lens. ;P

But yea, TS, a preset lens has 2 aperture ring:

First one acts as a limiter to your intended aperture.
Second one allows you to open or stop down the aperture as wide as your first aperture ring allows, or set to.

I might be wrong but i sure did try to play with my friends'..

Say, for sure it is rare, but if it is stuck wide open, what else can you do? It'll still be stuck wide open anyway.. LoL!

Nevertheless, just do a quick check that you are not "limiting" the aperture using the preset ring.. Not sure which one.. Haha!
05-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #12
iht
Veteran Member
iht's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 482
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Ah.... Now that you've state that it's a preset, guess i'm out coz i've never had a hand on opening up a preset lens. ;P

But yea, TS, a preset lens has 2 aperture ring:

First one acts as a limiter to your intended aperture.
Second one allows you to open or stop down the aperture as wide as your first aperture ring allows, or set to.

I might be wrong but i sure did try to play with my friends'..

Say, for sure it is rare, but if it is stuck wide open, what else can you do? It'll still be stuck wide open anyway.. LoL!

Nevertheless, just do a quick check that you are not "limiting" the aperture using the preset ring.. Not sure which one.. Haha!
QuoteQuote:
I hate to insult your intelligence, but it is a preset lens, so the aperture ring with the click-stops can be overridden by the ring that turns smoothly.
Maybe I should have used clearer terminology, but perhaps I should have said turning the ring does not stop down the lens - aperture blades are wide open. And yes, I own multiple preset lenses and I do know how to use them. This particular 83/1.9 is definitely not stopping down as it should.
05-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #13
iht
Veteran Member
iht's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 482
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
I just had great luck with KEH repairs. I think they'd do a good job on your Takumar. You can call them beforehand to confirm that they will work on your lens.
Thanks for the recommendations for keh and Max. I'll contact them.

It's just that this is such an old and rare lens. Hopefully they won't run out of parts.
05-07-2013, 02:49 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
gordon_l34's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 507
QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Thanks for the recommendations for keh and Max. I'll contact them.

It's just that this is such an old and rare lens. Hopefully they won't run out of parts.
Hi,
Try Alan Robertson at f16 on 07328 41588. He is here in Brisbane and I can definitely reccomend him.
Regards.
PM Sent.
05-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #15
Pentaxian
hoanpham's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Strand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,366
Try to contact Attila on forum.mflenses.com
I send my lenses there. No problem with old lenses. Great service.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, eric, k-mount, lot, pentax lens, slr lens, takumar, touch
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Takumar 1:1.9 F=83mm lense bobrapp Sold Items 3 12-04-2012 01:55 PM
K-5 + DA* 55/1.4 SDM compared to 5D + 83/1.9 Takumar Asahiflex Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 02-28-2011 08:50 AM
Takumar 83 f1.9 on eBay! Zav Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 01-26-2011 12:47 PM
have you ever compared the Takumar 85mm 1,9 with the SMC Takumar 1,8??? 1,8 & 1,4? beegee Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 02-14-2009 07:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top