Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just won this on ebay. Did I get a good deal?

What do you guys think?

Pentax K1000 35mm SLR Film Camera with 3 Lenses 55mm 85 205mm Solignor 24mm 027075045002 | eBay

05-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Yes.
I'm jealous of your new second hand lenses.

05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

( Get a K-01 to use them on )
05-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K-01 arrived last week

05-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice pair with the Sigma and the 55/2. Here is some info on the Soligor (Kiron) lens:
Soligor 85-205
  • filter ring size: 62
  • focal length: 85-205
  • max/min aperture: 3.8/22
  • this lens is manual focus, and requires step down metering (no A setting)
  • front element rotates when focusing
  • the zooming mechanism is internal
  • has a macro function slider, between 1:10 and 1:3 ratios
  • Move the zoom ring to the front of the lens.
  • There is a ring with Macro written on it in yellow letters (its by the aperture ring) you gotta pull it towards the front of the lens.
  • lens hood is built in, its a metal sliding type hood
05-06-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

The Super-Wide 24mm has some good reviews out there, so for that lens alone you did well.
05-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
The Super-Wide 24mm has some good reviews out there, so for that lens alone you did well.
The 55/2 has some very solid reviews too:
SMC Pentax 55mm F2 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
05-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool, thanks for the info Docrwm. I was looking for a prime that was wider than my Vivitar 28mm and stumbled across that 24mm in the k1000 kit. I bid pretty low considering the buy it now prices on the other sigma 24mm lenses available. Pretty stoked about this one y'all...

Been digging around on PF a little since I won the auction... Apparently this sigma is the bees knees.

05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #9
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The 55/2 has some very solid reviews too:
Well one can never had too many 50/55 mm lenses And there are no "bad" ones, just some that are more creative in the images they give
05-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K1000 & K55/2 are the original kit released in 1976 and the K1000 is made in Japan with the s/n stamped on top. That is the K1000 kit that is most desired.

The filter ring of the K55/2 looks like it may be dented, hope not as it’s a nice little lens.

Phil.
05-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The Sigma is a KA mount too, so it's pretty nice to use. It needs a good external cleaning. I use a toothbrush for that.

The K55/2 is also a nice lens. It may be the original lens for that K1000, which would make the camera the oldest version. The lens has an internal ring to limit it to f2 but the optics are the same as the 1.8 version. The filter ring needs work but should be fixable.

I have a version of that Soligor/Kiron zoom and it's worth giving a try. It's unusual to use; I was always reaching for the wrong ring.

The camera looks like it has the same dust as the Sigma, but should clean up OK. It is a good sign to see an unscratched battery door slot.
05-06-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The Sigma is a KA mount too, so it's pretty nice to use. It needs a good external cleaning. I use a toothbrush for that.

The K55/2 is also a nice lens. It may be the original lens for that K1000, which would make the camera the oldest version. The lens has an internal ring to limit it to f2 but the optics are the same as the 1.8 version. The filter ring needs work but should be fixable.

The camera looks like it has the same dust as the Sigma, but should clean up OK. It is a good sign to see an unscratched battery door slot.
So... How would I go about repairing that filter ring without making it worse? I'm a little worried that under that battery door is an old, leaky battery. Probably should have asked the seller about that one before I bid...
05-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #13

The Sigma 24mm if good made the deal.I use the auto focus version quite a bit.
05-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ap_exclamationpoint Quote
So... How would I go about repairing that filter ring without making it worse? I'm a little worried that under that battery door is an old, leaky battery. Probably should have asked the seller about that one before I bid...
I get some scrap wood, usually 3/4" plywood, trace a part of the filter ring that's in good shape, and cut almost to that line by hand or with a bandsaw. I smooth out the inside curve with a rasp or sandpaper. That's my outer form for the filter ring. Then I find another scrap piece, a stick of maple. It needs to be longer than the diameter of the lens, about a half inch wide, about as thick as the filter threads. I sand one end to an arc similar to the shape of the filter threads. Put that inside the filter threads where the dents are. Then I tap on the other end with a hammer to bend the ring back into shape. I test with a filter to see how close I'm getting. It's one of those tasks where lots of small taps and testing is better than one big whack. There are special tools for the same purpose.

Pentax used corrosion-resistant metal for the battery contacts so there's a chance that they aren't just greenish dust. Sometimes a leaky battery will corrode the single wire leading from the contact, or sort of weld the battery door to the bottom plate. The plate comes off with the three small screws you can see there, so if the door doesn't unscrew easily, just take the plate off and see what's on the other side. Maybe soaking it in some penetrating oil will help.

The auction photos don't show the original hood for the Sigma, but that's not necessary. The original one was meant for film so you want something deeper for APS-C. Mine is about an inch deep but the lens is on loan so I can't check it now. You will probably want to get a hood for it.
05-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The old Soligor is almost certainly a Tokina - especially if it is a CD series lens - and probably a decent zoom. I've got the slightly newer 70-210 / 3.5 which is very sharp. The downside is - they are big and heavy. Surprising, the CA on mine isn't as bad as a lot of other lenses of the period, and it is all one colour so it's easy to get rid off in processing.

Just1MoreDave has suggested the best method I know of removing filter dents, but I disagree with his suggestion of using penetrating oil to clear any corrosion on the battery terminals, oils just soak into the green gunk and stops there. I use vinegar, just a bit on a cotton bud, and dab it on the green corrosion until it dissolves. Then I use a few damp cotton buds to wipe the residue off, the dampness is enough to neutralize the acid of the vinegar. Just don't go mad and soak the camera with vinegar of water. I've cleaned a lot of cameras and flash like this.