Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

IS MY K100D MESSED uP ?

hi all,
need another expert advise. i was playing with my K100D and set it to Manual mode. changed Aperture and Sensitivity viewfinder says focused and had my flash on. when i looked at my viewfinder it looks ok and i can see the flowers but when i took the shot here's what happened.

this first shot has my flash on:

this has no flash. but fiewfinder looks ok and the focus beeped and has the focus icon.

01-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
i had more pics of this and some are really pitch dark. as in i can't see anything but the viewfinder looks ok. and isn't this camera suppose to be able to take night shot. be easy on me as i am really a newbie in DSLR. my experience with SLR was year 1979...

thanks again,
cruiserlan2000
01-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

what were ur settings?...seems like shutter was too fast, or the aperture was too closed...

not a matter of just focusing..there are other variables....please post exif data....(no exif on the ones u posted)
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cruiserlan2000 Quote
i had more pics of this and some are really pitch dark. as in i can't see anything but the viewfinder looks ok. and isn't this camera suppose to be able to take night shot. be easy on me as i am really a newbie in DSLR. my experience with SLR was year 1979...

thanks again,
cruiserlan2000

technology aside...what u know w/ that slr you used some 27 years ago....will still apply to the k100....

01-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You should know that in manual mode what you set the aperture and shutter speed to is what you get. The camera will tell you buy flashing what is to low. (I do not have a K100 so not sure what it will do) It will take the picture I believe wether it is right or not. Manual is that you take control.
01-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
exif for pic 1:
40mm focal lenght, F/4.5, exposure 1/60 sec, ISO 200 exposure compensation -2, portrait mode

pic 2
40mm, F/4.5, 1/250 sec, iso 200, shutter priority, -2 step

thanks..
01-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
oh by the way on the first pic i had my flash on. so it's so strange not to get a bright pic. i guess it's gettin in my head and out of my head now. HELP......
01-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The viewfinder doesn't show what you get. This is opposed to compact digital cameras where the screen on the back will show what you get (more or less).

The viewfinder just lets you look out through the lens...

I'd suggest that you keep your camera on Autopict, set the sensitivity to ISO 400, and don't worry about the rest for now. That will let you enjoy your camera; you then can experiment with the other settings when you feel comfortable with Autopict.

01-10-2007, 06:47 PM   #9
Site Supporter

exif for pic 1:
40mm focal lenght, F/4.5, exposure 1/60 sec, ISO 200 exposure compensation -2, portrait mode

pic 2

thanks..
The "-2" exposure compensation means they are 2 stops underexposed (dark)per the meter.

The small square button on top near the shutter is the one you use to switch from changing the shutter speed to changing the aperture when in M or Av mode (and using the wheel). It is also the one that sets the exposure compensation. You hold the button down while moving the wheel. It is easy to goof it up :-)

Hold down the button and rotate the wheel until you get back to "0.0", and try a flash shot again.
01-10-2007, 07:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

exif for pic 1:

pic 2

thanks..
yep....settings completely off

it's not the camera....im just sorry to say..user error....
01-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
43mm, F/4.5, 1/60sec., ISO 200, -2 step, portrait mode, with flash on.

50mm, F5/6, 1/60sec., ISO 200,-2 step, AutoPict, with flash on

why am i getting different exposure with almost the same setting on my K100D? is there a connection with the battery meter? i am using eneloop with about half on the meter. please let me know or do i need to RMA this one. so much to learn.

on my SLR experience, since i have a Pentax MX (manual) all i need to do is turn the iso speed and check the lens opening. once the focusing meter is ok i will shoot and will have a nice pic. on my K100D, i will always get this focus icon and make sure that the ligthing is ok then will shoot but i will get a different pic exposures. GRRRRRRR.......need help so badly.....

thanks,
01-10-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Differences in aperture have a huge effect on the flash outcome, and you really should get rid of the -2 EV. Those things are to be blamed for underexposure, not the camera

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-10-2007, 08:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

your problem is the -2 u have set in the E/V

with flash on it turns the flash power down..

its a combination of aperture and flash power that governs flash exposure..

if u want to play with manual settings.. set camera in tv mode.. set shutter speed to 1/125 pop the flash up put the E/V at 00 and take your picture.. the one u are showing is 2 f-stops under exposed.. the flash has powered down by 2 f-stops..

otherwise put the camera in P mode and simply let the camera take the picture.. it will make a far better job than u are..

when the camera does take a good picture as it mostly will.. look at the exif info learn from it then work from there..

trog

Last edited by trog100; 01-10-2007 at 08:30 PM.
01-10-2007, 10:20 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Cruiserlan2000,

Feel free to print this if you wish.

Good to see that you are still playing with your camera! Sad to see that you are still frustrated as ever, but we'll get you through this.

Here's the fixes to your original pictures.

You were in portrait mode in the first picture. What you did incorrectly was pressed and held the Av button while turning the thumbdial left to get -2.0. Do the same thing but get that number on the far right in your viewfinder to read "0.0" turning the dial to the right.

In your second picture, your shutter was way too fast (1/250). Turn that dial to the left until you see the number on the far right of your viewfinder reading "0.0". Watch your hands though - slower shutter catches more "shaky hands"!If your subject is too dark after the shot, you may have some lighting behind the subject - turn on your flash.

For your third picture - I think you did a fine job. If you want the background lit up, do the same thing as the first tip above.

For your last picture - Autopict mode but Exposure value is still -2.0. Do the same as the first tip above.

Knowing the camera you are coming from, if you want to see what the camera is seeing using your viewfinder, do this:

Menu > Custom Setting > Checkmark the custom setting > Preview Method > Optical Preview.
Now go back to your shooting. When you want to check what the camera is seeing, twist the On dial to the shutter icon and hold it. You will hear the aperture adjust and if you look through the viewfinder - voila! You will have to release the on/off dial to make adjustments.

Now I know that the guys here will correct me with the Aperture Value (Av) thing if I'm wrong (I always get high and low mixed up) but I hope you get where I am going with this.

Since you are playing with Manual mode a bit more here's a LOT more tips (using 18-55 kit lens as example):

Low ISO (eg. 200) + Low/Small(?) Av Value (eg. 5.6 or greater) = Slower Shutter (Tv) or more flash power compensation to get proper looking picture.

High ISO (eg 1600) + High/Big(?) Av Value (eg. 3.5 or lower) = Faster Shutter (Tv) and less or no flash requirement to get a proper looking picture.

Now knowing this tip, here's what you will see through your viewfinder, from left to right, in "M" Mode, depending on how your picture will be exposed and the basic steps to "fix" it. I can't really show a pic so hope you understand. In all cases you may or may not see a hand icon depending if SR is on or off.

"Perfect" (or what the camera's meter thinks is perfect) exposure:
(focus lock icon), Shutter Speed, Aperture Value (F), Exposure value = 0.

"Perfect" but subject is too dark - You may have to turn on your flash to fill in shadows - watch your White Balance.

"Perfect" but background is too dark - Turn off your flash, slow down the shutter and/or use a faster ISO. You may have to check your metering mode and set it for evaluative/matrix mode (Menu > AE Metering > top option).

"Underexposure" (picture is dark):
focus lock icon, Shutter Speed, Aperture Value (F), Exposure value is negative
OR
"Severe Underexposure" (very dark):
EVERYTHING IS FLASHING: FLASH, Shutter, Aperture, Exposure = -3.0

Fix: slower shutter (turn thumb dial left)
and/or
bigger Aperture value (press and hold Av while turning dial left)
and/or
higher ISO
and/or
turn on flash and try to get exposure = 0.0 (or as close to it as possible) before shooting
and/or
get more lighting

"Overexposure" (picture is bright):
focus lock icon, Shutter, Aperture, Exposure value is a positive.
OR
Severe Overexposure (very bright, blown out or white):
ONLY THE EXPOSURE VALUE IS FLASHING 3.0

Fix: faster shutter (turn thumb dial right)
and/or
smaller Aperture value (press and hold Av while turning dial right)
and/or
lower ISO
and/or
move subject somewhere else
and/or
try a different angle (shoot away from the bright light source)

Now I know that optical preview should help you a ton. Not quite like your MX, but hey not many entry level (who said entry level?! lol) cameras have this feature.

Didn't realize I just wrote a text book. Sorry everyone!

Last edited by Alvin; 01-10-2007 at 10:33 PM.
01-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
alvin and all,

appreciate all your responses and thanks alvin for your long text. trust me this will come in handy not only for me but for the other newbies here. wow amazing how much knowledge you have and how much patience you have to teach us the very fundamentals of DSLR. i will try to recapture the pics and follow your advise step by step and i will let you all know the outcome. i have to do it the same hour i took those pics so that i will have a comparison and see if it is user error or my k100d (knock on wood)...

thanks guys.
cruiserlan2000

PS - so it's not my eneloop battery with half meter???