Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Hi lastdodobird

Re your observation:
QuoteQuote:
I use it (the Sigma) at 20mm.......I've discovered that when you use it an any lesser focal length with the built-in flash, a shadow is cast at the bottom of the pic.
I own both the Sigma 10-20mm & Tamron 18-250mm superzoom and have observed that if you attempt to use the in-built flashgun on the Pentax K10D whilst leaving the respective lens-shade on either of these lenses at their widest settings, the
close proximity of the flashgun to the lens-shade virtually guarantees that an inevitable shadow will be cast at the bottom of each image. The solution to this problem is simply to remove the lens-shade if using these lenses at their widest setting, when using the built-in flashgun......it's a minor inconvenience but gets the job done !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-10-2008 at 01:50 PM.
03-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #17
Not Registered

If you can buy from Cameta in e-bay they are honest to the extent of my knowledge. I was thinking that the seller might be referring to the extreme depth of view of the lens at 10mm when he referred to the focusing at that focal length. Otherwise I cannot imagine about any other explanation to his answer. In a lens like that I would be more worried about a decentering issue than to BF-FF.
03-10-2008, 03:35 PM   #18

[QUOTE=Gruoso;193128 I was thinking that the seller might be referring to the extreme depth of view of the lens at 10mm when he referred to the focusing at that focal length. Otherwise I cannot imagine about any other explanation to his answer. In a lens like that I would be more worried about a decentering issue than to BF-FF.[/QUOTE]

Hello, new here so please be gentle. Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to explain - very difficult for a camera to focus a lens accurately at 10mm given the extreme width and depth of view.

How have I done for my first ever post
03-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #19
Veteran Member

You mentioned that the price for this lens is $510US; B&H is selling it for $499US new. Don't know how the total cost would work out for you (shipping, customs, etc), but I would be inclined to get a new one.

03-11-2008, 08:45 AM   #20
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxlady Quote
Hello, new here so please be gentle. Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to explain - very difficult for a camera to focus a lens accurately at 10mm given the extreme width and depth of view.

How have I done for my first ever post
No problem, I will be gentle (actually I thought that I was being gentle). What I think that he was trying to say is that at 10mm and small apertures is almost impossible to not have the things on focus so it will always focus correctly. The exceptions to this comes when the subject is very close to the lens and the aperture of the lens is wide open
03-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
No problem, I will be gentle (actually I thought that I was being gentle). What I think that he was trying to say is that at 10mm and small apertures is almost impossible to not have the things on focus so it will always focus correctly. The exceptions to this comes when the subject is very close to the lens and the aperture of the lens is wide open
Hi, the lens in question is mine - maybe I shouldn't have mentioned this. I agree with you - couldn't have put it better myself.

Buying new from the States looks to be the better option - new and cheaper.

Thanks for being gentle
03-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon has it NEW for less than that Amazon.com: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM Lens for Pentax and Samsung SLR Cameras: Electronics