Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 10-20 EX DC

Hi!

I have a chance to buy used Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6. How much would you guys pay for it? Is there any danger of buying it via e-bay? I mean in terms of image quality. Are there any faulty lenses on the market?

Thanks!

03-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The prices on ebay are sometimes too high! You should check Adorama.com and BHPhotoVideo.com to compare the going retail prices first. Amazon.com can have some pretty good prices sometimes too.

If you buy a new lens, and you get a bad copy - you can send it back to the store that you bought it from or have it serviced by Sigma under warranty. If you buy used through ebay and you do get one of the very few bad copies, you have a problem.

Just my 41 cents worth...
03-09-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm also looking at buying the 10-20, having spoken to a couple of owners recently though they mentioned that the 10-20 at its widest didn't achieve focus too well, normally "backward focusing" slightly - anyone else had this issue ?

thanks

simon
03-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
The prices on ebay are sometimes too high! You should check Adorama.com and BHPhotoVideo.com to compare the going retail prices first. Amazon.com can have some pretty good prices sometimes too.

If you buy a new lens, and you get a bad copy - you can send it back to the store that you bought it from or have it serviced by Sigma under warranty. If you buy used through ebay and you do get one of the very few bad copies, you have a problem.

Just my 41 cents worth...
Thanks Tom! I'm aware of that risk. This is the reason I asked, if there are any bad copies on the market, like with Pentax DA 16-50....
Anyone got some info?

03-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi pentagor

If you are lucky enough to lay your hands on a sharp example of this superb lens, then I am pretty confident that you won't feel disappointed, but I would hate for you to be let down by a dodgy one. Personally I would tend to err on the side of caution when considering second-hand variants of this particular Sigma. Regrettably there have been many well documented accounts concerning focusing anomalies (misaligned or decentred lens elements) in early examples of this lens, so if I were you I'd be somewhat careful, unless you are fully prepared to get your fingers burned. Simply remember, forewarned is fore-armed !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-09-2008 at 03:29 PM.
03-09-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi pentagor

If you are lucky enough to lay your hands on a sharp example of this superb lens, then I am pretty confident that you won't feel disappointed, but I would hate for you to be let down by a dodgy one. Personally I would tend to err on the side of caution when considering second-hand variants of this particular Sigma. Regrettably there have been many well documented accounts concerning focusing anomalies (misaligned lens elements) in early examples of this lens, so if I were you I'd be somewhat careful, unless you are fully prepared to get your fingers burned. Simply remember, forewarned is fore-armed !

Best regards
Richard
Thank you Richard! This is very helpful. I think it really is an early example of the lense, so I will give it up.
03-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

One other piece of advice if you want to buy used from an individual...ask to see sample images taken with lens in question. I admit, it's not foolproof, but with an honest seller, it could be very helpful. I picked up a Sigma 17-70 gently used recently and the seller directed me to his pbase site where he had pics taken with the lens in question and it really eased my fears about getting a dud copy. Once I got the lens and played with it myself, I knew that I had a good one.

HTH,
Heather
03-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by simonkit Quote
I'm also looking at buying the 10-20, having spoken to a couple of owners recently though they mentioned that the 10-20 at its widest didn't achieve focus too well, normally "backward focusing" slightly - anyone else had this issue ?
I have not noticed any BF or FF issues with my copy, which I bought as new lens from ebay.co.uk. ( I paid ca. €380 for it btw). It is amazingly sharp from 10 to 12. Of course you have some vignetting and slight softness in the edges when 10mm and f4.0, but you would not tell in "normal pictures".

To see a how it handles difficult situations see this one: ISO800, 10mm, f4.0, hand held

I think it did a decent job, considering...

03-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had the 10-20mm with my Pentax system; no problems!
I now have it with my Canon setup; no problems!

Awesome lens!
03-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
Forum Member

I have this lens and I really like it. Not the best for indoor people shots but great for architecture, large spaces. The perspectives are great and the optics surprisingly excellent.

here are few examples from a recent trip, all shots taken with the 10-20 and a 50/1.4 :

roma e firenze - a photoset on Flickr
03-10-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

I asked seller a question about focusing at 10mm of perticular lense and the answer was:

"To be honest I don't know of any camera that can focus a lens at 10mm."

So, I think it is one of those problematic lenses....
03-10-2008, 12:46 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
"To be honest I don't know of any camera that can focus a lens at 10mm."
hmmm... i don't think i get this... care to explain?

I love my 10-20, and I almost always use it at 10mm.

I use it at 20mm if i'm using the built-in flash though (i don't have a hotshoe flash yet) because i've discovered that when you use it an any lesser focal length with the built-in flash, a shadow is cast at the bottom of the pic. A shadow of what, you may ask? A shadow of the lens itself. LOL.
03-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lastdodobird Quote
hmmm... i don't think i get this... care to explain?

I love my 10-20, and I almost always use it at 10mm.

I use it at 20mm if i'm using the built-in flash though (i don't have a hotshoe flash yet) because i've discovered that when you use it an any lesser focal length with the built-in flash, a shadow is cast at the bottom of the pic. A shadow of what, you may ask? A shadow of the lens itself. LOL.
Well, I wanted to make sure it is a good copy of the lense, because I got info, that some of those lenses had issues with back/front focus at 10mm. So I asked the seller if this specimen focuses well at 10mm. Than the answer of the seller was like mentioned earlyer...
03-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
Well, I wanted to make sure it is a good copy of the lense, because I got info, that some of those lenses had issues with back/front focus at 10mm. So I asked the seller if this specimen focuses well at 10mm. Than the answer of the seller was like mentioned earlyer...
Well I suppose that means that you will be able to get it cheap! After all if it is a problematic lens, then the price will be much lower! (Just kidding!)

I would stay away, far away from this lens! It sounds like the seller is admitting the lens has problems.
03-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes Tom, I agree. In my opinion, he admitted it is a problematic lens. The price is is 510 US$, but he has "make an offer" possibility.
I allready forgote this one.
Thanks everyone for help!