Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

I know I get sued for this....

... but today Wim (Ishpuini) and me did a head to head. We have new toys (Wim the K20 and me the DA 21 and 70 limited - LBA is striking hard lately ) so we took the time to play with it.

Anyway: Wim took some informal shots with my 70 ltd and his 77 ltd (I was forgotten how BIG it is compared to the DA 70 ) and there was clearly an advantage for the 70 ltd resolution wise. Shots were taken at f/5,6 (so both should have there optimal performance there) and you could clearly see that the 70 outresolved the 77 (maybe I'm putting it too hard, but it was definitely there...) Wim found the bokeh to be more creamy on the 77, but I found the advantage for the 70, which justs shows it's a matter of taste and both were good... Mind you: it was informal testing, not pixel peeping or anything, and I know the 77 limited is an optical beast. Maybe the difference is just because the DA 70 was designed with a digital sensor in mind. Dunow...

Made me glad I bought the 70, because the size is more convenient and it has focus override (sth which the 77 lacks...)

As to the K20: it's a beast (but not for me anyway, I hold strong on my ist D .)

@Wim: txs for everything. I had a nice time... Anne willing, we should do that more often!

03-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
TKH
Veteran Member

Thats exactly the way how I see the two lenses. So I kicked my FA77 in the bay last January.

Rainer
03-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I read the reviews on photozone, then I would have come to a different conclusion...
03-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #4

I'm sure the DA70 is very sharp; was the FA77 still sharp or actually soft? I've only used it (a friend's) on lower-res bodies (K100, K10), but at its peak and strictly resolutionwise, I don't think it was at all worse than the FA50 macro or A85/1.4, which are usually my benchmarks.

03-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was still sharp. I have to agree on you: I think the FA 50 macro (my all time favourate) and the 77 would come pretty close...
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had and used both DA70 and FA77, my opinion is if you don't need fast speed (faster than F2.8, the DA70 is probably a F2.8 lens instead of F2.4 as reported), you'd be happier w/ the DA70. I do use wide aperture alot when taking kids photos indoor, that's why I prefer the 77 over the 70
03-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The 70 may well win on sharpness, for me just by looking at, the beautiful piece of shiny front glass on the 77 beats the tiny weeny wannabe on the 70 anytime

On a more silly note, the 77 wins because we repeatedly see WTB notices for the 77 but hardly any for the 70 ... haha
03-09-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

With Fa 77 ltd, my favorite aperture is usually f2.2. It is not that f1.8 being not usable. It is just that autofocus is quite tedious at this aperture. With protrait shots, f2.2 allow me some depth of field at 2.5 metre distance with reasonable bokeh. f1.8 is really for some static shots on floral objects or any casual stuff.

Da 70 is a compact nice little pancake that I would love to own as well. Since my friend Joel has it, I get to play with it a lot. If it is necessary to separate da 70 apart from fa 77 ltd, weight and size would win da 70 a great favour. Personally I think fa 77 ltd is compact and small enough

However, the image quality of these two lenses are not that different at aperture f2.8 and I think it is unfair to say one is better than the other. The recent mood from the forum about fa 77 having the same optical performance as jupitor lens is a great example. Most of the lenses produce same image quality regardless whether it is third party lens or a fa or da. (The difference is obvious to my biased eyes but not to the majority of people). After all, the best way to know the quality of these limited lenses are from the actual print outs. If you go and get a shot at focal length of 70mm with Da* 50-135mm f2.8 - there will be no difference between the two optically with pixel peeping. This does not negate the value of da 70mm f2.4 simply because the lens works similarly to the zoom.

Fa 77 ltd has a dodgy autofocus and often backfocuses at f1.8; sometimes it is better to use manual focus if you want to do an objective resolution test. Seriously, f1.8 is not that wide comparing f1 with canon 50mm or 85mm f1.2. Buying a prime usually tells me a fast aperture at below f2, which is often not appreciated by users that prefered to see every corner of the images sharp. Hence the value of these primes are under appreciated.

To me, Da 70 is about its small build, fast autofocus speed and cute for collection. Fa 77 ltd is about its metallic finish, relatively low weight and low light capability.

Otherwise I would just buy a sigma 50-150 f2.8 which is really a bargain for its optical excellence.

03-09-2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Otherwise I would just buy a sigma 50-150 f2.8 which is really a bargain for its optical excellence.
What is your opinion on Sigma 70-200 f2.8, the new one for Pentax & Sony?
03-11-2008, 03:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
What is your opinion on Sigma 70-200 f2.8, the new one for Pentax & Sony?
I do not have the new version of sigma 70-200 f2.8 but the older version is already top notch quality in which I found it little difference comparing to Fa* 80-200 f2.8 ... In fact, Fa* 80-200 f2.8 might not even be that sharp comparing to the sigma counterpart with a lot heavier weight of course.

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 shall be a good lens, lighter weight and well built. I had not heard much concern about quality control issue at all.

I had seen my friend using sigma 50-150 f2.8 with pleasure; image quality is just as stunning as any other brands (perhaps weaker on the contrast and bokeh department as usual).