Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter

How to clean lens optics?

How do you clean the optics on your lens. I just got a quality lens and the last thing i want to do is mess it up cleaning it.

05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if this is the proper way, but this is what I do:
1) use a rocket blower to knock off anything hard. Blow it off good before touching the glass with anything. It is grains of sand that will hurt the lens when you try to clean it by rubbing them against the glass
2) use a microfiber cloth, the fuzzy looking ones that look like a hand towel, to gently wipe away any dust. Available at most office supply stores. Gently and in a circular pattern.
3) if spots remain then use a spray lens cleaner, on the cloth not the lens, wet the cloth then gently wipe the lens in a circular manner

But I rarely clean a lens, keep the lens cap on as much as possible and always use a hood. Unless you are in salt spray at the beach, then consider a protective filter
05-09-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Recent quality lenses have a special coating, those are hard and also make it easier to clean.
For dust simply blowing them off is the best, when that doesn't work a lens cloth or cloth you use for your glasses works fine.
05-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ALWAYS BLOW THEM FIRST! if not, you risk to scratch them with the little particles (not easy too see or almost invisible to the human eye).
a great one:
Amazon.com: Giottos AA1900 Rocket Air Blaster Large - Black: Camera & Photo

After that, the "lens pen" has given me great results when on the field or travelling:
Amazon.com: LensPen NLP-1: Camera & Photo

I choose to stay away from cloths because you cant be certain they are free of dust or else. I mean, they are hard to keep clean when storaged.