Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Up to 10 years ago Pentax had a history of releasing outstanding lenses, but since then not even close What we have to look to in the past 10 years is pathetic compared to Leica, Canon and Nikon as those companies lenses designs have gone from strength to strength while we get plastic versions of 10 and 20 year old designs and SDM. OK Maybe that's a bit unfair but it's a struggle to think of many decent lens releases lately.
You indeed are risking an avalanche. You may be angry about Pentax camera bodies, their 'marketing', flash, etc. but don't touch the lenses. Even orcs from Middle earth show due reverence to them.

05-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
You indeed are risking an avalanche. You may be angry about Pentax camera bodies, their 'marketing', flash, etc. but don't touch the lenses. Even orcs from Middle earth show due reverence to them.
LOL, yes true, but in the past few years which new Pentax lens released has been even remotely worthy of their heritage as "one of the great lens makers". I'm really struggling to think of any at all in the recent past.... maybe the DA15 from 2008/9 ?

Last edited by twitch; 05-09-2013 at 09:03 PM.
05-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
#4 and right behind Leica, actually...

The Online Photographer: The World's Great Lens Makers

Discuss....
Mike (the blogger) is a well-known fan of Pentax glass.

Steve
05-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
USA:

CoastalOpt® Lenses for Multispectral and Wide Field Applications

05-09-2013, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I've used Pentax glass since 1968...Leitz glass since 1981, Zeiss since ' 82, Mamiya-Sekor medium format glass since '84, Canon glass since 2011.

I'm not surprised Pentax and Takumar glass is rated that high. Pentax is an old, well respected optical company. Optical quality and performance. That's one of the main factors why I've stayed with Pentax for around 45 years.
05-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mike (the blogger) is a well-known fan of Pentax glass.

Steve
I'm a long time fan of Pentax/Takumar lenses....too....because of my long experience with these lenses. Being a fan and why...sort of what came first question....the chicken or the egg.

I'm a fan...because of the quality.
05-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
lol, yes true, but in the past few years which new pentax lens released has been even remotely worthy of their heritage as "one of the great lens makers". I'm really struggling to think of any at all in the recent past.... Maybe the da15 from 2008/9 ?

da*55

05-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LOL, yes true, but in the past few years which new Pentax lens released has been even remotely worthy of their heritage as "one of the great lens makers". I'm really struggling to think of any at all in the recent past.... maybe the DA15 from 2008/9 ?
Well, understanding that most lens designs are pretty old and that even "current" lenses are just updates of those formulas, most lens makers are using fairly ancient lenses. The four thirds market probably has the newest designs because they have had to work with a newer sensor size.

The whole DA limited line is less than 10 years old, as are the DA * primes and zooms. Not all of those lenses are stellar, but there are pretty intriguing lenses there. Certainly a company the size of Pentax isn't going to release 5 or 6 lenses in a year, but they have good quality lenses that have a very different feel from the competition. As to whether or not they are better than the competition, I would leave that for others to decide. They are good enough for me and I like the way Pentax gear feels when I use it.
05-10-2013, 04:17 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
da*55
a fine lens, but that was announced 2008
05-10-2013, 05:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Already? Ouch.. getting old
IMO 50-135 and 55 are excellent lenses but not that recent indeed.
05-10-2013, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

Up to 10 years ago Pentax had a history of releasing outstanding lenses, but since then not even close What we have to look to in the past 10 years is pathetic compared to Leica, Canon and Nikon...
Is it 2019 already? My, how time flies when you're out shooting photos.
05-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #27
Forum Member

How about the DFA 90mm Macro?

I've read some nice comments about that one, and seen some quite nice web JPEGs.

Cheers,
05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slocant Quote
How about the DFA 90mm Macro?
I think you mean the 100mm Macro. Tamron makes the 90mm Macro. Yes, it's an amazing lens, but the design somewhat old. I have the FA version, which was made before the DFA version, which was made before the current DFA WR version. The optics are the same. Frankly, I don't think any improvement in the optics was necessary, or even possible.
05-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I guess it all comes down to a matter of opinion. I disagree with you.

I'm not one to keep a scorecard of which lens was released when...but one that comes to mind that was released within the past few years and has received very high ratings is the Pentax 100 Macro WR F 2.8. I may not have the exact description....but check the Popular Photography test.

I don't know when the 12-24, 70 Limited, 40 Limited were released....but they are part of my arsenal and I'm impressed with their performance and the photo quality they produce.

I've cranked 1000's of pictures out of that 12-24 and this is a magnificent lens....IMHO.
05-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I think you mean the 100mm Macro. Tamron makes the 90mm Macro. Yes, it's an amazing lens, but the design somewhat old. I have the FA version, which was made before the DFA version, which was made before the current DFA WR version. The optics are the same. Frankly, I don't think any improvement in the optics was necessary, or even possible.
I think he was referring to the DFA 90 macro for the 645D. Not?