Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Focus ring missing rubber, DIY suggestions?

Last week I won an ebay bidding war for a Pentax M 50mm F2. I just got it and it's actually a M 50mm F1.7!!
The only downside is that it is missing the rubber around the focusing ring. Because of this finding and turning the focus ring feels awkward and just plain weird.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to remedy this? I'd like some grip and added thickness if possible.

05-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Cut a section of bike inner-tube to length and stretch it over. A standard mountain bike size tube should be about the right diameter. If that isn't thick enough, use 2 pieces.
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally I would return it as 'not as described' unless they happened to mention it was missing parts. It's not like that is a rare lens or anything.

But if you are stuck with it then check your office supply store or dollar store for rubber bands if you can find some that fit snug they will work. I used to have a source for fairly wide (at least 1/2") ones in blue that might have worked. But that was in another job and I don't know where they got them.

You might also check at the grocery store, the bands used to tie up broccoli and asparagus might be a close fit.
05-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Self amalgamating tape

I had this problem a few months ago. I solved it with a slightly rare builders product called "self amalgamating tape". This tape comes with a backing, as you wind it around something you take the backing off. When the tape from each layer touch, after a short time, they fuse together. I also used one of it's properties in that as you stretch it, it 's width narrows. As a single roll is more than enough, practise with it first.

05-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Personally I would return it as 'not as described' unless they happened to mention it was missing parts. It's not like that is a rare lens or anything.
Well, I got it cheap and only after receiving it I noticed it missing in the picture on ebay. Sure I'd like it to be in mint condition, but I'd be satisfied with a DIY solution. Function and feel are higher on my priority list than esthetics.

Those are all good suggestions. Thanks for them. Not sure yet which one I'll do.
05-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #6

does anyone know if Pentax or other repair shops carry these? i have a A 1.2 with the same issue and would like an original part if possible. Works just fine, its just missing the grip.
05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I haven't tried this -- but how about tennis racket or bike handlebar grip tape?

05-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

See also this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/155937-...ip-lenses.html

I kind of like the idea of using camo duct tape...
05-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But if you are stuck with it then check your office supply store or dollar store for rubber bands if you can find some that fit snug they will work. I used to have a source for fairly wide (at least 1/2") ones in blue that might have worked.
So many possibilities! I like Jatrax's idea, but I would take it further. Use a whole bunch of rubber bands and turn your lens into a rubber band ball! You don't have to worry about dropping it. It bounces!
05-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Go to a industrial engineering supplier, or a hydraulic repair place, and buy a handfull of rubber O rings that are are a nice tight fit and put them on side by side to fill the recess. I did this a long time ago and it looked good, just a bit different but not a hack job. And it won't unwrap or get sticky like tape will. I no longer have the lens so I can't post pictures, but it was an old Vivitar zoom with a rubber grip about 3 inches long, so I used about 35 to 40 3/16 inch O rings.
05-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Go to a industrial engineering supplier, or a hydraulic repair place, and buy a handfull of rubber O rings that are are a nice tight fit and put them on side by side to fill the recess. I did this a long time ago and it looked good, just a bit different but not a hack job. And it won't unwrap or get sticky like tape will. I no longer have the lens so I can't post pictures, but it was an old Vivitar zoom with a rubber grip about 3 inches long, so I used about 35 to 40 3/16 inch O rings.
By far my favorite suggestion.
05-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

3-M Rubber splicing tape. Not sticky, self vulcanizing (fuses to itself after a short period of time). Available at any electrical supply or building supply that carries electrical products.

3M Electrical - Product Catalog - US:
05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #13

I once solved the problem by installing a ribbed drive belt as used on upright vacuum machine head. A smooth belt works but the ribbing has an engineered look to it.
You may have to more than one belt to achieve the width. If they are tight enough no adhesive required.
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I have had this issue as well. I had a dead Quantaray lens with 3 or 4 adjustment rings on it (macro, aperture, focus, zoom) which had the same diameter as the barrell with the missing grip so I narrowed one ring in width and slipped three of them on - looks almost spec