Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*50-135mm needs to "warm up" on first focus

When ever I first turn on my K5IIS with the *50-135mm it takes about a minute to focus for the first time then it is fine until it isn't used for a while (need to have the shutter half way down) Pending doom?
Does Pentax cover the motor even if it is out of warranty

Thanks

Randy

05-11-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
Pending doom?
Possibly, though I hope it's not a motor-related issue,

Does Pentax cover the motor even if it is out of warranty
and no.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-11-2013, 04:36 PM   #3

Hey,
Just had the same problem. I would have to depress the shutter/af button (on K-5) numerous times when first turned on before lens autofocus would work. Just sent it to CRKennedy Australia they replaced the sdm motor and now its working perfect again! $209.00 AUD total cost for postage and repair. Warranty will only cover *if it is inside the warranty period otherwise its your own $$. Mine was covered by a Sagemax protection plan (BHphotovideo).

Cheers,
D.Vaughan
05-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had a DA* 16-50 with the exact same thing happening. At first it would take about 30 seconds of working with it to focus, then was fine for that session like you say. Was like this for a while, but gradually got worse and worse to the point it wouldn't even try.

05-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter

When ever I first turn on my K5IIS with the *50-135mm it takes about a minute to focus for the first time then it is fine until it isn't used for a while (need to have the shutter half way down) Pending doom?
This sounds just like my DA* 16-50mm the second time the SDM motor went. The first time the lens would stop trying to focus well short of where it was supposed to, sort of like a front focus issue, although it was seemingly random. The lens went off to CRIS and came back working as expected. Five months later the lens started doing what you're describing; if the lens hasn't been used in a while it's as if the motor needs to warm up.

Triggering the auto focus resulted in either no effort by the lens to focus or a very sluggish movement towards focusing. After some experimenting I found I could help things along by rotating the focus ring back and forth a few times equivalent to 100% minimum and maximum focus range. This was sort of like roll starting a car. After that things would work well for the rest of my shooting. Nevertheless, I was keen to get the lens back to CRIS before their six month parts warranty ran out from the first repair.
05-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

My early version 50-135 did this. Twice repaired under warranty. The third time it was out of warranty. I don't have it any more. Optically superb, but it was driving me bananas and cost me less than having it repaired yet again.
05-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My early version 50-135 did this. Twice repaired under warranty. The third time it was out of warranty. I don't have it any more. Optically superb, but it was driving me bananas and cost me less than having it repaired yet again.
Darn!
How long before you had it repaired the first time?
The owner said it was already fixed.
I see why used copies are dropping in price.
This really shakes the foundation of the pentax brand for me

Randy
05-12-2013, 10:08 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

It went 2 years before the first failure, then another 7 months then another 8 months, if I remember correctly. Every now and then I regret swapping it out for the 55-300, but then I remember the extreme frustration I felt. After I get myself a K5 IIs (long time coming!) the DA* 60-250 is on the list. My 16-50 has zero problems. It seems as if the 50-135 is the worst for failure.

You should check the lens rental places for lens failures before giving up on Pentax. They are not the only ones with big troubles with their products.

05-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My 50-135 kicked the bucket the other day. It took several focus attempts to wake up and then was focussing just fine, hunting around just fine on AF-C.

The next day it was working fine when I turned on the camera so it probably has to be sitting for a while to seize up. It's still under warranty so I hope they take my word for it and replace the motor even if it works the first time for them.

Has the motor been upgraded yet or are they still putting the same shoddy motors in them when doing warranty replacements?
05-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #10

you may try this ?
How to deactivate SDM and allow for screw drive autofocus with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 - Le site des amateurs de PENTAX
05-12-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Will only work with a K10d with firmware 1.30 or lower, unfortunately. Mine was updated to 1.31.
05-13-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Can't the firmware be downgraded? It seems I either passed the 1.31 upgrade up or downgraded years ago to keep the debug option for focus adjustment.

Last edited by GeneV; 05-13-2013 at 06:33 AM.
05-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Firmware 1.31 won't downgrade. I tried everything I could find, and the K10 is still on 1.31. 1.30 will downgrade. I wish I had not upgraded, now, but that's what happens to those of us who are computer geeks, and need to keep to the latest and greatest all the time.
05-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Have you tried this suggestion? RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: How to Get Back to an Older Version of the Firmware?

I hope I never have to deactivate SDM, but it is nice to know it is possible. With firmware 1.30, getting the lens eeprom to download is a snap. Does PKTether work?
05-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter

Original Poster
here is there response to my concerns

Dear Randy,

Thank you, for contacting Pentax Ricoh Canada Inc.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for you past, present and future support.

We regret to hear that you are experiencing a problem with your Pentax lens. My best suggestion would be that you send your camera directly to our Mississauga Service Center for inspection by one of our qualified technicians.

Pentax Ricoh Canada

Attn Service Dept

1770 Argentia Rd

Mississauga, Ontario

L5N 3S7

If purchased from an authorized Canadian Pentax Dealer, or Air Miles. Pentax Digital SLR cameras and Lenses have a Two Year Limited Canadian Warranty.

Please include a copy of your cameras proof of purchase or Air Miles Purchase Confirmation, a brief note describing the problem as well as a list of what you are returning to Pentax for inspection. We recommend that you keep a record of your camera's serial #, as we use it to track your camera repair through the system. Please include your email address and daytime telephone number at which you can be reached.

Cameras purchased outside Canada are subject to a $50.00 warranty surcharge and must be accompanied by a valid International Warranty Card. If purchased from an authorized US dealer, the International Warranty Card can be obtained from Pentax USA at 1-800-877-0155. Items will not be considered for warranty work without the appropriate documentation.

If the problem is not covered by manufacturing warranty, we will generate an estimate and email it to you. No work will begin until we receive your permission to proceed. If it is uneconomical to repair, then the service department will offer an exchange at a special price. If you decline the estimate there will be a $25.00 (plus applicable taxes) charge to return unit to you.

If you decline the estimate and do not wish to have the unit returned, we will recycle or dispose of that unit at our end and all charges will be waived.

Please note, we only service cameras that have a Canadian return address, we do not ship outside the Canadian border.

Best Regards,

The Pentax Ricoh Imaging CSR Team,

sounds like a standard response to me?

thanks

randy