Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Serial Number of Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 Early - 8 Elements

Hello,
Some sources say that the highest Serial Number for a Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 Early - 8 Elements version is about 1549846. However, a number of lenses with Serial Number above that mark are listed in database of this site which claim to be of 8 element version. I could not understand which is right.
Subhajit

05-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by paulsubhajit Quote
Hello,
Some sources say that the highest Serial Number for a Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 Early - 8 Elements version is about 1549846. However, a number of lenses with Serial Number above that mark are listed in database of this site which claim to be of 8 element version. I could not understand which is right.
Subhajit
How much higher? It is about that. Some people confuse elements (the number of which is not visible by just looking at the lens) with aperture blades, but there are only 6 blades on the 8-element version. There is also serial number overlap at those higher numbers with the 7-element version, and of course the faceplate from a broken 8-element could easily be swapped onto another lens, so the serial# should only be taken as a signal to check out the other tell-tale indicators of the 8-element version: the IR mark being on the right rather than the left of the "4" on the distance scale, and the protruding rear element (the glass sticks out farther than the surrounding ring just a tad -- hard to see in pictures unless the angle is right). Also the 8-element is physically taller than the 7 (at least compared to the SMCs, but probably the plain Supers also), but even harder to tell that from pics.
06-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
How much higher? It is about that. Some people confuse elements (the number of which is not visible by just looking at the lens) with aperture blades, but there are only 6 blades on the 8-element version. There is also serial number overlap at those higher numbers with the 7-element version, and of course the faceplate from a broken 8-element could easily be swapped onto another lens, so the serial# should only be taken as a signal to check out the other tell-tale indicators of the 8-element version: the IR mark being on the right rather than the left of the "4" on the distance scale, and the protruding rear element (the glass sticks out farther than the surrounding ring just a tad -- hard to see in pictures unless the angle is right). Also the 8-element is physically taller than the 7 (at least compared to the SMCs, but probably the plain Supers also), but even harder to tell that from pics.
A person in Kolkata (Calcutta) wants to sell me a Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 with serial number 1160728. Is it an early 8 element version? Someone please help me decide because I already have a 7 element Super Tak.
Subhajit
06-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by paulsubhajit Quote
A person in Kolkata (Calcutta) wants to sell me a Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 with serial number 1160728. Is it an early 8 element version? Someone please help me decide because I already have a 7 element Super Tak.
Subhajit
Yes, that serial # would be the early version (not even close to later overlapping numbers), but check out the whole thing if you can -- faceplates (with serial#s) can be easily swapped between lenses...

07-12-2013, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Yes, that serial # would be the early version (not even close to later overlapping numbers), but check out the whole thing if you can -- faceplates (with serial#s) can be easily swapped between lenses...
Finally the Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 Early - 8 Elements is in my hand. Simply it is superb. The attached photo proves it is original. Thanks vonBaloney
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D3100  Photo 
07-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Original Poster
What a luck!!!!!!!! got a MIR 1B 37mm f2.8 for only $18 from the same person, while buying the Super-Tak 8 Elements.
07-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Original Poster
Is there any review for MIR 1B 37mm f2.8?
07-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
Mir 1 37mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Russian and Zenitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

07-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Original Poster
The one I got is Mir 1B and physically different from this one.
07-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,869
Mir-1B 37mm F2.8 M42 Lens Review
07-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 18
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Thanks boriscleto
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, elements, f1.4, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens, super-takumar, super-takumar 50mm f1.4, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goodwill - Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (Early 8-Element Variant) - I think RockvilleBob Pentax Price Watch 15 03-28-2013 04:32 AM
Review: Pentax 50mm f/1,4 Super-Takumar 8-elements vs 7-elements vs Pentax Macro fotoreporter1975 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 12-08-2012 04:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 alanjoke Sold Items 12 07-26-2012 06:04 AM
Super-Takumar 50mm F1.4 (Early 8-Element Variant)? zantaphia Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 04-06-2012 02:06 AM
For Sale - Sold: Super Takumar 50mm f1.4 (8 element version) buzzvic Sold Items 4 10-19-2010 07:54 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top