Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FA20-35 bummer

I've been trying to find a good FA20-35 and finally found one NIB at a camera store in the midwest! I knew there was a good chance of it being defective as it was not snatched up long ago but I took a chance (they have a fair return policy).
It sure was fun to unbox this pristine new/old lens and it looked perfect.....but.....you guessed it....it has a big problem-it won't focus to infinity. I remember reading here about being able to adjust the infinity focus point on lenses pretty easily. I would like to hear comments about this: How easy is this to do? What do you think the chances are of this being so easily curable? Who is recommended to do this adjustment if we come to an agreement to send it out?
Thanks for the help!

05-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you bought it new, it should come with warranty. You could get Pentax to look at it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it physically not focus to infinity? Or only on autofocus?
05-12-2013, 11:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Adam-"If you bought it new, it should come with warranty. You could get Pentax to look at it!"
I never thought of that! Being an old, discontinued lens, I wonder if they would have parts? Guess it can't hurt to ask?

After more careful testing, it seems there are two problems: Manually, The lens will "focus" a little past infinity but it never gets sharp on the right side so it appears to be badly decentered. Also, it is greatly front focusing on AF so it would not focus-lock. I think it might be past the range that the camera can correct for-I will try that next

I have heard that decentering is something that is typically not fixable. Is this true? If it is not fixable would they give me another one? do you think they have a stash of 20-35's laying around to do this?! Or would they give me the current equivalent? what would that be? I already have the 17-70! I should find this out-just for fun!

05-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by seadog Quote
Being an old, discontinued lens, I wonder if they would have parts?
Contrary to a widespread opinion, the FA 20-35 is not discontinued: Interchangeable Lenses : Digital Cameras : Products | PENTAX RICOH IMAGING. In fact, there are quite a few full frame lenses still listed as current models on the official Ricoh-Pentax website:

smc PENTAX-FA 20mm-35mm F4 AL

smc PENTAX-FA J 28mm-80mm F3.5-5.6AL

smc PENTAX-FA 28mm-105mm F3.2-F4.5 AL [IF]

smc PENTAX-FA J 75mm-300mm F4.5-F5.8AL

smc PENTAX-FA35mmF2AL

smc PENTAX-FA50mmF1.4

These lenses are available on the Japanese market but any local Pentax distributor should be able to order them for you (at a price !). All these lenses are fully covered by the Pentax warranty.

Cheers!

Abbazz