Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Looking to buy macro lens for under £50...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all! I was wondering if you could help me out a little bit

About 5 months ago I purchased a Pentax K-5, 18-55mm WR AF, 50-200mm WR AF, and a 50mm lens (Pentax-A 1:1.7) and have really been enjoying it so far!

Anyway, getting to my question, although I find the 50mm is usually acceptable when trying to take macro pictures, I'd really appreciate having an actual macro lens or maybe those little filters to adapt the 50mm? So, I was wondering, what is the best product for under £50 that will settle my thirst for macro?

Extra info: This will be mainly for shooting insects, flowers, leaves etcetc (you get the idea )

05-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might want to post in the Wanted section of the Marketplace. I'm not aware of any new lenses available in the price range you are looking at.
05-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
You might want to post in the Wanted section of the Marketplace. I'm not aware of any new lenses available in the price range you are looking at.
Oh many thanks! Forgot to say, I'm not bothered about having to purchase a second hand one.
05-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #4

I would look at getting some used extention tubes and use your 50 mm. Very easy to use and you will get great results. You can pickup a set on ebay for between £5 & £20, depending on quality.

05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I found a SMC Pentax-M Macro 1:4 50mm on Ebay two months ago for £45 - $70.00 CAD. I'm sure you could find one in this price range.
05-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by older not wiser Quote
I would look at getting some used extention tubes and use your 50 mm. Very easy to use and you will get great results. You can pickup a set on ebay for between £5 & £20, depending on quality.
Do you have much knowledge on them?
These seem to be the only ones available for a 49mm thread lens:
Macro Close Up Lenses for Pentax smc DFA 100 mm / 2.8 Macro 49mm Ø | eBay
Macro Close Up Lenses for Pentax smc DFA 50mm / 2.8 Macro 49mm Ø | eBay

Would you be able to advise me on which is better for photographing insects like in this photo:
http://photosbyinfo.tumblr.com/image/48530532336
05-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
I found a SMC Pentax-M Macro 1:4 50mm on Ebay two months ago for £45 - $70.00 CAD. I'm sure you could find one in this price range.
Okay thanks, i'll keep an eye out.

05-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KingInfo Quote
When searching for close-up lenses, don't include "pentax" in your search. The manufacturer of your camera or lens has nothing to do with how it fits. The 49mm diameter is all you need to know. When I got a rubber hood (which screws into the filter threads), the one I bought said it was for "Nikon Canon Sony." Whatever, it works.
05-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The extension tubes mentioned above are likely the most economical way to go. There's also the Raynox DCR-150 or DCR-250 closeup lenses.
05-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #10

Search for Raynox DCR-250 (or 150) its a snap-on universal mount and should fit most lenses.

Here is a video to help see how close you can get useing extension tubes.
05-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by KingInfo Quote

Would you be able to advise me on which is better for photographing insects like in this photo:
http://photosbyinfo.tumblr.com/image/48530532336
Just to clarify, these are not extension tubes, but close-up filters.

See here: pentax extension tube | eBay
05-14-2013, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Hi KingInfo,

A relatively low cost alternative that you might consider is finding a used Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing TC to use with your A 50 f1.7. This would effectively give you a 100mm f3.4 1:1 macro. This TC is essentially a 2x TC combined with a helicoid that acts as a variable length extension tube, allowing the lens to continuously focus closer until you reach its Minimum Focusing Distance which will give you a 1:1 magnification, just like a modern dedicated macro. It can also act as a straight 2x TC giving you 100mm out to infinity.

The advantage of the 2x part at the macro end is that this gives you a longer working (Minimum Focusing) distance which helps with live critters since it's less intimidating for them. The advantage of the variable length extension tube is that this gives you the ability to vary the MFD from the lens' native spec down to where you get 1:1 with the lens set at MFD and the TC set to its max magnification, and every combination in between. You do lose a little bit of IQ with the added glass, but it's really pretty minimal with this particular item, especially for macro use, and the 2x TC will make the effective max aperture f3.4 since the FL is doubled, but this is not too relevant because you will want to shoot at smaller apertures for macro to gain some DOF.

This TC was offered in two versions, one without the "A" contacts and a newer version that is fully "A" compatible, so if you want to be able to set the aperture through the camera and focus wide open then have the lens stop down for the exposure only, then you need to look for the one with the contacts -- with the small apertures normally used for macro shooting this is a really big advantage. I bought my A version about 8 years ago for @ $75 USD, and I don't think the average market price for these used has risen much from what I've seen. IMO, this is the most versatile low cost alternative if you already have a fast 50 in your stable of lenses, and I've seen them offered with reasonable frequency despite the fact that they were discontinued quite a long time ago.

Scott
05-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi KingInfo,

A relatively low cost alternative that you might consider is finding a used Vivitar 2x Macro Focusing TC to use with your A 50 f1.7.

Scott
Excellent advice, I was thinking the same thing.
05-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/152336-cheap-macro-b...lose-work.html
05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a Pentax M100/4 and a close up lens that screws in like a filter.
The M100 is a good lens if you can find one and might be within your budget with the close up lens.

Original and cropped images.