Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #1

Will this lens work with my K5?

I am new to venturing into trying older lenses and need information. Is this a Pentax mount? I'm still learning and was not sure. (see photo) This lens is a Tokina RMC 1:4.5 80-200mm. Will it be compatible with my K5? I realize the older lenses must be used in manual mode. I would appreciate your thoughts on this lens. Thank you!

Attached Images

05-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like it will!
05-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look like K mount. And the "P/K" stamp makes it a sure thing.

Is this yours: Tokina 80-200mm f3.5-4.5 RMC Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
05-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

That lens will work like any Pentax K or M-series lens. Manual focus, manual ("Green button") exposure.

Remember to set the custom function 27 "Using aperture ring" to "Permitted". You can just leave it at that setting.

The in M exposure mode, set the aperture on the aperture ring, push the green button to have the camera set the matching shutter speed, shoot!

05-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Look like K mount. And the "P/K" stamp makes it a sure thing.

Is this yours: Tokina 80-200mm f3.5-4.5 RMC Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
It is this one: Tokina 80-200mm f/4.5 RMC Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database. Well, $20 at the Goodwill. Looks to be in excellent shape. We'll see.... so using these lenses will not harm my DSLR in anyway....right?
05-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
That lens will work like any Pentax K or M-series lens. Manual focus, manual ("Green button") exposure.

Remember to set the custom function 27 "Using aperture ring" to "Permitted". You can just leave it at that setting.

The in M exposure mode, set the aperture on the aperture ring, push the green button to have the camera set the matching shutter speed, shoot!
Thanks, I was getting a flashing "F". I will try this.
05-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mcook Quote
so using these lenses will not harm my DSLR in anyway....right?
No. K-mount is k-mount (mostly) as long as you understand the limitations of the older lenses. 'M' mode and manual focus, set exposure using the green button.

If you are going to be shopping for older lenses though you should be aware that some have an extra pin called a "Ricoh Pin" that can cause the lens to get stuck on your camera. It takes work to get it back off though it is not impossible but it is something to be avoided. Here is some more info on this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/158541-stuck-lens-kx.html Just watch out for lenses with "K/R" or "K/P R" or anything similar. Many work fine anyway but be cautious.

There are also a number of third party lenses that have a large flange protecting the aperture lever. They work fine on older Pentax cameras but interfere with the SDM contacts on newer ones. The flange can usually be removed and then they work fine. Just another thing to look for.

Here is an article on buying at thrift shops: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

05-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks, I was getting a flashing "F". I will try this.
Silly question I suppose...but on my top LCD screen the it only displays the shutter speed and this "F-- " The F is not flashing, it just doesnt diplay anything. Does that sound right?
05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
No. K-mount is k-mount (mostly) as long as you understand the limitations of the older lenses. 'M' mode and manual focus, set exposure using the green button.

If you are going to be shopping for older lenses though you should be aware that some have an extra pin called a "Ricoh Pin" that can cause the lens to get stuck on your camera. It takes work to get it back off though it is not impossible but it is something to be avoided. Here is some more info on this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/maintenance-repair-articles/158541-stuck-lens-kx.html Just watch out for lenses with "K/R" or "K/P R" or anything similar. Many work fine anyway but be cautious.

There are also a number of third party lenses that have a large flange protecting the aperture lever. They work fine on older Pentax cameras but interfere with the SDM contacts on newer ones. The flange can usually be removed and then they work fine. Just another thing to look for.

Here is an article on buying at thrift shops: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html
Thanks for that great link about buying used lenses! Very useful. I will read it. Is it only the Ricoh lenses that have his pin? Did the one I just purchased have that?
05-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Silly question I suppose...but on my top LCD screen the it only displays the shutter speed and this "F-- " The F is not flashing, it just doesnt diplay anything. Does that sound right?
Yes. Because the lens does not have the A contact, and the camera does not have an aperture linkage, the camera has no way of knowing what aperture is set on the lens. This is why you have to use stop down metering.
05-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for that great link about buying used lenses! Very useful. I will read it. Is it only the Ricoh lenses that have his pin? Did the one I just purchased have that?
Not all 'Ricoh' pins are dangerous. Most later third party lenses have the 'Ricoh' nub which isn't dangerous at all. If the lens is third party and has the A setting it will likely have the 'Ricoh' pin. Most were marked A (P) on the aperture ring.

05-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Initially the F was flashing because you did not have the aperture ring enabled via the rear menu. Since you enabled it, the "F--" is just an indication that the camera body is unable to read the aperture (f stop) setting from the ring, since it is a manual lens (it does not have the electrical contacts on the mount to communicate with the camera body). This is normal for M42, K, and M lenses. A, FA, FAJ, DA, DFA and DAL lenses all have the electrical connections to communicate the aperture to the body from the lens.

After you take a picture, you can go take a look at the EXIF data on the image and you will see that the aperture is defaulted to f2.4 (if I remember correctly). You might have taken the picture at f8 but the body does not know it, and it needs to put something in the field.

This is again why you need to use the green button. You can open the lens up all the way to get the light to focus accurately, then stop down (by turning the aperture ring to say f5.6 if that is the aperture you want to use), then push the green button so that the camera will meter with the light that is coming through the lens. If you are in AV mode the camera body will adjust the shutter speed to the detected amount of light and then you can take the picture. If you are in manual mode, you need to take a look at the image and then adjust either the ISO, aperture or shutter speed accordingly.

05-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it only the Ricoh lenses that have his pin? Did the one I just purchased have that?
No, many brands made lenses for Ricoh in that time period. Ricoh used the K-mount same as Pentax and on early film bodies it was not an issue. It only became a problem after Pentax added the power zoom contacts (now used for SDM).

The lens you have does not have the pin. And as Boriscleto already noted even if a lens has the pin in many cases it is still OK as it is a 'nub' rather than a 'pin', on some lenses it is just a bit too long and it gets stuck in the screwdrive slot. Just something to look out for.
05-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It only became a problem after Pentax added the power zoom contacts (now used for SDM).
Ummmm...I think it is the AF drive pawl that causes the problem. The pin drops into the well for the drive and jams the lens to the camera. The issue exists on all Pentax AF bodies (film and digital) regardless of whether they support power zoom. Pentax released the new AF bodies (back in the day) knowing full well that there was a compatibility issue for many lenses that were commonly available in the "wild".

Steve
05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummmm...I think it is the AF drive pawl that causes the problem. The pin drops into the well for the drive and jams the lens to the camera. The issue exists on all Pentax AF bodies (film and digital) regardless of whether they support power zoom. Pentax released the new AF bodies (back in the day) knowing full well that there was a compatibility issue for many lenses that were commonly available in the "wild".
Quite correct, I was thinking about the aperture lever flange and and typed that info into a post about the pin. I really must stop trying to multi-task.