Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Shooting products

Hi,

Part of what I need to do is take pictures of product for my website.

My "real" gig is making car parts and I often need to take pictures of them to put up on our website.

I have a light box and am in the process of creating a permanents "shooting area" for taking these shots.

I am currently using a Sigma f2.8 18-50 lens to shoot the products.

I tend to use Aperature Priority and an F-Stop of 5 on the camera.

The shots are good but not spectacular.....

Should I be using a different lens for doing this sort of work?

D.

03-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi D,
If thats the Sigma EX DG 18-50 f2.8, that is a highly regarded and very good lens.
Post a couple of your shots with the exif intact and we may be able to help.
Cheers.
03-10-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, that lens is good but not stellar, the macro version of that lens I hear is the cats meow. Even though you have a light box, lighting could still be an issue. How about you post some of your images you think can be better and why so we can get an idea and offer some suggestions.
03-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Car parts come in different sizes and you don't mention whether these have a reflective surface.

That size lense should be fine, come on, these images are for the web NOT a catalogue but, I agree, post some shots - of the setup if possible.

03-11-2008, 05:50 AM   #5
Not Registered

I dont know how did you dispose the lights but that might be the main reason.
03-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the interest in my post. (I am a newbie to this forum and it is very nice to see people willing to help)

All my product shots can be seen at: /// Welcome To Group A Performance ///

I am getting better as I learn the camera more and you can certainly see that in the photos. It becomes apparent which are older and which are newer.

The lens I have is: Sigma DC 18-50 1:2.8 EX Macro

I feel that the issue may be lighting as well.... I take everything using a tripod and try and get the F stop to a 5.6 for depth of field. I was just hoping to get stellar sharp pictures like I see you guys taking.

I just picked up a flash to use with the camera (AF-540FGZ) to use as a fill and hopefully this will help.

The light box is by no means anything pro. It is a very small light box with two "daylight" flourecent bulbs. Perhaps I need to go a bit more "pro" with my lighting.

D.
03-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

From what i have seen, your lighting def needs some help. I built my lightbox out of cardboard and florescent light covers you find in a kitchen. Very MacGyver like, but efficient enough until my light kit comes in.

My setup...

End result...
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

that's really cool buddha, i gotta try that when i have time

03-11-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi D.

I looked at the short shifters and they seem out-of-focus as do some of the I end links.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with the lighting at ALL. Sugt a suggestion, close-down the aperture to minimise the DoF.

There ARE better p'graphers here and they might give you better suggestions.

BTW, the scroll bar is black on black and can't be seen. Nice site, nice work too.
03-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The end links are some of my first shots and they are horrible..... the short shifter is new.....

I want to re-shoot everything from scratch but I really want to make sure I have things as good as I can get.

What I was having problems with is the depth of field on the short shifters.... I was getting either the front or back of the shifter in focus. I had a lot of problems with them.

I think I figured that part out by setting the Aperature to 5.6 (Is this what you meant?)

What do you suggest for a shutter speed?

I really appreciate the help.

D.
03-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

home made light boxes work so well and are so easy to make, but I would say get a macro lens, even if your products are large.

The Tammy 90mm or sigma 70/105mms fit the bill.

also don't forget black backgrounds as well.
Attached Images

03-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #12

Depending on what you're after, an off camera flash works well too. This is a single flash shot through a plain 8.5x11 paper, with another piece of paper used for fill on the left. If you haven't already, check out strobist.com.

03-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Getting a dedicated macro lens would also be a good choice, I love mine.

Here is one shot with the VIV S1 105mm on a piece or marble to get a nice reflection with a black background. I have constant light on the left and a piece of white paper on the right to get a little light reflection.

03-12-2008, 07:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Jay, not everything is in-focus and in the type of work D is doing everything NEEDS to be in focus.

With this much light and the final size of the required image, I really don't see why s/he has to get a macro.

D. Look at the beginers thread (do a search here) and look at the Depth of Field info - you don't need to get ANY other equipment. You got the t-pod, lense and plenty of light.

Others may disagree, but that's my opinion.
jc
03-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks JC.

I think I am understanding things a lot more as I use the camera.

I have also been playing around with going +1 on the exposure that seems to really be helping.

I guess it is one of those things that I just have to play and learn.... which I am happy to do so.

Sometimes the back of my mind just questions if I am doing things the right way.

Much appreciate..... stay tuned for some new product shots as we have some new stuff to put on line. I will share when I do this.

Derek