Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #1

Agfa MC 50mm f1.9

Hello fellow pentaxians,

i got a Agfa 50mm f1.9 manual lens. It's a K-mount lens, and there is a trigger (not sure if that's the right word for it) for setting the aperture of the lens.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57656281/IMGP2328.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/57656281/IMGP2327.jpg

The problem is, the camera doesn't detect that 'trigger' and i can't set the aperture value. With this lens attached the camera is working only in M and Av modes, and everything needs to be set manualy - i'm ok with that, as i don't require a fast decisions for making photos, i'm an amateur.

Is there any "cheat" or tweak i can do? I don't see any mechanical damage on the back (on the mount) side.
Oh, and there is not A (as for Auto) on the aperture ring

Sorry if i'm not stating the problem clear enough, hope You'll understand

Last edited by alexmkd; 05-19-2013 at 04:24 PM.
05-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, M and Av modes are the only ones you get with a fully manual lens. Make sure you enable aperture ring in the menu, turn off auto ISO, and use green button for metering when the brightness of the scene changes.
If you shoot in Av mode, it will stay wide open, even if the aperture ring is set to something else.

Just search for one of the many threads on how to meter and take photos with manual lenses.
Also, get a lens hood for it, its probably a good idea for manual lenses because their coatings aren't as advanced as modern lenses

Edit: Oh, and there is some way of hacking the camera/lens to make any lens function like an A lens. Its kind of complicated and will probably void your warranty, but feel free to look for a thread on this
05-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Interesting, I didn't know these f/1.9 Chinons were made with MC as well. Usually you only see (nominally) single-coated versions.

Anyway, that lens is equivalent to an M series lens and is used accordingly, as outlined above. Go to Custom Settings to enable aperture ring usage, then manually set aperture on the lens and use stop-down metering (green button) in M mode.