Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Just buy the 15mm or a 10-24mm/12-24mm/10-20mm in Tokyo
Atm I find Japan a great place to shop for Pentaxgear.

On this page you will find great tips to go in Japan Camera shopping in Tokyo pt. 1 – Shinjuku | Japan Camera Hunter
Was so happy when I found his guide, saved me a lot of time.

Cheers
Yos
There isn't much, for which Japan isn't a great place to shop, IMO. Tokyo is an extremely fun place, they have everything - and then some - that one may want. I've had the great pleasure to go to Japan a handful of times each year for the past decade, and I just can't get enough.

Photography-wise, for "new" stuff, one must go to Yodobashi - the dedicated camera building, the one that has 6 floors of camera stuff, including a full floor of bags, another full floor of lightening, LF/view cameras, a counter (larger than most Texan pick-up trucks) with Pentax 67 gear, every lens for every (Japanese) camera system currently in production, a petting-zoo with (almost?) every camera body in production.......sorry, I got a bit carried away there....

For "used" stuff, Map Camera (on the same street at Yodobasi) spills through in two buildings, with dedicated floors for each camera brand. Map has the advantage of being easy(ier) for foreigners and the disadvantage of being a notch more expensive.

Map Camera fairly easy to find, getting out of the "front door" of the Yodobashi camera bldg (so that you stand in front of a McD on the first floor of the facing building), turn left, then immediately left again, so you walk away from the train station and towards the metropolitan government office (and you now have a Yodobashi on either side of the street).....keep your head tilted slightly up and to the right, and you'll find neon signs for Map after 2 min or so.

An even better option for shopping for used stuff is to befriend a Japanese photo-geek and go shopping with him in some of the quirky little shops that one needs to know in order to find (and where one needs to speak the language to make a purchase in finite time).

05-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yos Quote
Your welcome!
Enjoy your trip
And dont forget to sample some amazing food for us
If you want to sample some typical food and "younger persons ambiance" on maybe not a dime, but on a quarter, here's a hint: Mo-Mo Paradise / Nabezo serve good, affordable (about 10-14 Eur/person) sukiyaki and shabu-shabu.

There're two branches at Shinjuku, google for them, there'll be maps; one of them is just next to Bic Camera in the Odakyu HALC building.

(That was, in case you missed it, a desperate attempt at being on-topic with this posting)
05-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote
Hey guys what are your thoughts? Going to Hong Kong and Tokyo for a couple of weeks with the K-30. 18-135 is already in the bag but can't decide which other lens to take. I travel light. I'll have the 18-135 on 90% of the time but also like taking indoor shots and street photos at night. Here are my options:

DA 50-135mm 2.8 (really hate to leave it behind but heavy and there's overlap)
DA 40mm 2.8 (pancake yeah!)
Sigma 30mm 1.4 (wider field of view than the 40 but loud as heck....izakaya patrons might not appreciate the noise...lol)
M 50mm 1.4 (perfect for evenings but narrow and manual)

So it comes down to DA 40mm 2.8 vs Sigma 30mm 1.4 unless someone makes a compelling argument for one of the others.......Thank you in advance!!!
Having spent quite some times in the Big Cities of the East, and a lot of time in Tokyo, here's my take on it....note that I'm a "prime guy" and rarely use zooms.

In Tokyo, I generally get along with the 15mm, 31mm and 70mm/77mm; the 31mm is my walkabout lens. I've never wished for anything longer than 70/77mm in Tokyo proper [Although if you go to a fireworks display, you *might* want a longer lens]. I recently tried to see if the 55/1.4 would be useful in Tokyo - it wasn't (although it is a very capable lens elsewhere).

So, I'd exclude the 50/1.4 from the candidate set.

In Hong Kong, I haven't got a single photo taken with anything longer than the 31mm, if that tells you anything.

I do not know the 18-135, so I can't comment on that lens specifically, but I would guess that it would largely suffice, regarding available focal lengths. As you're set on taking that lens with you, then there'll honestly be little reason to bring something else along from among that which you have.

Notice that the Japanese are very used to photography, and unless you're being particularly aggressive/rude/obnoxious you'll get no problem with taking pictures of your food and drinking-buddies in an izakaya....heck, they'll probably offer to take pictures for you of you whilst getting hammered (or touristing, or singing karaoke, or ...).
05-20-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
When I saw the thread title I was going to suggest something wider, like a 10-20 mm or 12-24 mm, but I see that is not in the available choices. Of what you have, I'd go for a "normal" prime. The 30 mm is the right focal length but as noted there are drawbacks so even though it is a bit long for the purpose, I'd say the 40 mm pancake, along with everyone else.

Have you been to either of these two destinations? If not, the best advice I can give is be ready to go wide more than long. The vistas out over Hong Kong harbor are great, as are the cityscapes from high places in Tokyo. And be careful about pulling out a camera inside the neighborhood izakaya without asking first. The neighborhood drinkers might not like it. "Sumimasen. Shashin wa ii desu ka?" works wonders.

Have a great trip.
Typically, they won't mind. Ask - or, take your camera out, smile at them and point at the camera, then yourself, they will either let you know that they won't want you to take pictures (rare) or will offer to take your picture (accept, it's fun!)

Generally, the only Japanese I've met who didn't all like having their pictures taken are the Yakuza.