Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
loose asahi pentax metal cap on 15/3.5?

I have a 15/3.5 that I love, but the original metal cap is dangling very loose theses days. I think it's the lens hood - I tried the cap in another 15/3.5 and it screws on that lens securely.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks in advance :-)

05-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

The metal lens cap is a push fit and your right not very secure, mine just falls off when I look at it.

Not quite sure what you screwing in and to where? as the lens hood is built in as a fixed part of the lens.
05-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
The metal lens cap is a push fit and your right not very secure, mine just falls off when I look at it.

Not quite sure what you screwing in and to where? as the lens hood is built in as a fixed part of the lens.
I guess I meant pushing into the built in hood :-)

But yeah, any ideas on maybe a replacement cap or something to hold the cap together?
05-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Aye, this is what I did with mine, get yourself some of that self adhesive velcro tape. Just use the soft fuzzy side, not the nylon loop side.

Stick a couple of bits in the inside sides of the cap to take up the slack, happy days.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-19-2013 at 09:15 AM.
05-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a historic issue with slip-on lens caps. I have original equipment slip-on caps for my Takumars and and 77 limited as well as various other lenses I own, but these are kept in a drawer for safe keeping. For daily use, I have a collection of pinch-type caps.

Steve
05-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The old push on caps, for Takumar, had a thin felt on the inner side to make the friction contact. This can wear. The solution would be to replace it with a new piece of felt, a bit thicker than the one that comes off, because the one that comes off is worn.
05-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
had a thin felt on the inner side to make the friction contact
That's what I'm kinda suggesting with the velcro route as I couldn't get self adhesive felt at the time.
05-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
That's what I'm kinda suggesting with the velcro route as I couldn't get self adhesive felt at the time.
I had one recently where the original felt came loose, and seemed adequate. I fixed it with a contact adhesive like used in builidng. Therefore I presumed boring original felt with glue.

05-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #9
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies guys.

Hmm...rather than adding an adhesive thingy onto the precious original cap, I'm wondering if anyone has a solution for an alternative cap? Like maybe a DIY solution or an alternative pinch cap?
05-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Your lens has 49mm filter threads so something like this should work. You want the center-pinch type that does not have overhang.

Pentax O-LC49 49mm Front Lens Cap 31526

Steve
05-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your lens has 49mm filter threads so something like this should work. You want the center-pinch type that does not have overhang.

Pentax O-LC49 49mm Front Lens Cap 31526

Steve
Thanks, but I think you are mistaken. The A 15mm 3.5 definitely doesn't have a 49mm thread. Are you thinking of some other lens?
05-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Thanks, but I think you are mistaken. The A 15mm 3.5 definitely doesn't have a 49mm thread. Are you thinking of some other lens?
Indeed it doesn't!!!

I thought you were using the DA 15/4. You may well have to craft something from plastic tubing.

Steve
05-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Indeed it doesn't!!!

I thought you were using the DA 15/4. You may well have to craft something from plastic tubing.

Steve
The most likely would be uPVC pipe fittings from Bunnings. They do sell short lengths of pipe (around a metre - massively more than you need) and every size does have a plain cap available. You will need to measure OD of the front end of lens and find an ID of pipe that is just a bit bigger, and find a suitable felt to pack the gap with.

This should work out cheaper than buying an original s/h over eBay and paying postage on the very rare occasions that an unusual size cap becomes available. (Even common sizes like 49mm and 58mm are quite rare.)
05-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #14
iht
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
The most likely would be uPVC pipe fittings from Bunnings. They do sell short lengths of pipe (around a metre - massively more than you need) and every size does have a plain cap available. You will need to measure OD of the front end of lens and find an ID of pipe that is just a bit bigger, and find a suitable felt to pack the gap with.

This should work out cheaper than buying an original s/h over eBay and paying postage on the very rare occasions that an unusual size cap becomes available. (Even common sizes like 49mm and 58mm are quite rare.)
That sounds like a good idea! I'll give that a go. Thanks!