Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Tilt shift lenses for K-mount (and m42) do exist. Schneider-Kreuznach makes them (expensive, high quality), as does Arsat (not as expensive, Soviet quality).
Rofl. Saved for future reference.

OP: Get the Canon kit you wanted. There are no options that suit you in the Pentax System.

People, get real. He needs a 24mm tilt-shift lens. Don't recommend a 90mm and tell him he'll manage.

05-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #17

Original Poster
So basically the IQ ranking is
24II, Samyang, 24I
I may wait for the samyang to be in stock in the uk. It isn't as sharp as the 24ii but it should have better corners than the mki
05-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
So basically the IQ ranking is
24II, Samyang, 24I
I may wait for the samyang to be in stock in the uk. It isn't as sharp as the 24ii but it should have better corners than the mki
I know others have mentioned large format...if you are serious about landscape why not go that route?
05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are crazy.

Adam has a good suggestion. Another possibility might be to buy a EOS film camera (they are cheap) and rent a T/S lens to match to see if the combo works up to your expectations. Or rent a both the 5Dii and lens. If you like the T/S, film might be the most cost-effective way to go (or not).

Or...you can do as I did and buy a 4x5 view camera and shoot 120 roll film with a 6x7 holder. That should give you the full T/S experience.

Steve

(...the hidden cost of film work is the gear to digitize $$...)
Just curious, why not shoot 4x5? Is the film that much more expensive? I have no experience with MF or LF so my question is one from ignorance.

05-19-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
The ts 24mm sells for about 500-600 (canon 24 mm ts | eBay)
Do you think the samyang would give better iq?
I read a recent test that showed the Canon better at wide apertures, and the Samyang better at small aperture. You should be able to find it by search terms.
05-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I read a recent test that showed the Canon better at wide apertures, and the Samyang better at small aperture. You should be able to find it by search terms.
This link?

LensRentals.com - First Look: Rokinon 24mm f/3.5 Tilt-Shift Lens Part 1
05-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Just curious, why not shoot 4x5? Is the film that much more expensive? I have no experience with MF or LF so my question is one from ignorance.
I shoot both 4x5 and 120 (6x7 negative) on my view camera. The sheet film is more money* and making the shot is a bit more effort due to the extreme shallow DOF that comes with the larger format negative. For many shots the camera's movements are not just an option, they are often essential. The catch for 120 roll film comes in regards to wide angle work. 60mm and shorter view camera lenses with adequate image circle are not cheap and there is also the issue of having a camera that can both mount and use its movements with the shorter lenses. I make do with 90mm at the short end and so far am pretty happy.

Steve

* A single sheet of Ektar 100 color negative film is $3.50 USD + another $3.00 USD for processing. B&W is somewhat less with film starting at $1.80 USD per sheet and processing done by me for the cost of chemicals.

05-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #24

If you're crazy, I'm crazy as well, I've just bought a D800 just for TS photography.

By the way, the Samyang is unlikely to be released on K-mount, since the lens doesn't physically fit on the K-30.
05-20-2013, 05:41 AM   #25
Pentaxian

I posted somewhere a response I got from Samyang from their French facebook page. They are not making a K-mount version. I pointed out that people like myself who own a K-01 have probably the best APS-c camera available to mount a tilt shift lens on, but to no avail. They just didn't want to listen to me. I guess missing out on my purchase wasn't a big concern. I'd love to be important... but I'm just not. Getting a D800 would seem a little extreme if it wasn't for the extra resolution. That should be an awesome set up. And for once, you can't really postulate a 645D might be better. Where do you get a lens with enough coverage to make T/S possible on a sensor that big? It could be done I guess, but it would probably be out of this world expensive, as if the 645D isn't out of this world expensive enough already.
05-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Don't really want to buy film at 2 quid per frame. When shooting landscapes I take a heck load of pictures from different angles. Also PP is important to me and finally I can use the 5dii/6d anywhere and for other uses should I decide to expand
05-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'd love to see the Samyang released for us, but I think it's just not a viable option, what with the DSLRs being unable to mount/use it and the 5 K-01 owners who would want to buy it.
05-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I'd love to see the Samyang released for us, but I think it's just not a viable option, what with the DSLRs being unable to mount/use it and the 5 K-01 owners who would want to buy it.
Same, but I guess they would loose money over it
05-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And for once, you can't really postulate a 645D might be better. Where do you get a lens with enough coverage to make T/S possible on a sensor that big? It could be done I guess, but it would probably be out of this world expensive, as if the 645D isn't out of this world expensive enough already.
@RioRico would have told us how to do it with a cheap enlarger lens!
05-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
@RioRico would have told us how to do it with a cheap enlarger lens!
Where has he been?? I havent seen him post for a long time
He is definitely the cheap macro king.