Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #31

Original Poster
What do you guys think about 5D vs 5Dii? 5Ds with shutter counts around 10k run about half as much, and the comparometer shows that there is not much difference between the two...

05-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
What do you guys think about 5D vs 5Dii?
Erm, this is a Pentax forum.
05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #33

Original Poster
I've spent so much money on Pentax gear, I think I'm allowed to ask for some impartial advice, and Pentax doesn't make any camera in that class anyway
05-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I think I'm allowed to ask for some impartial advice
Of course,
but the fraction of 5D Mk I and Mk II users
scanning a site about Pentax DSLR lenses
is likely to be miniscule.

05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey everyone

I have been interested in Tilt Shift photography ever since I started shooting landscapes, however, there are no tilt AND shift lenses for Pentax. The new Samyang may solve this but it would be too narrow (35mm equiv) on my K5iis. This is why I'm thinking about buying a used 5Dmkii and a Mark ONE 24mm TS-E lens. I could pair a new Pentax FF w/ the Samyang, but the ff will be out of my price range and the samyang is twice the price of a used 24L1. Is this the easiest way for a Pentaxian to get into FF T/S?
No you're not crazy, silly yada yada

I just picked up a 1Dx just for sports
05-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi,
I just bought a pristine 6x7 Pentax tilt and shift lens at the weekend, so they are out there. You jjust have to be in the right place at the right time! I am going to try it on 35mm when my adapter for same arrives from Canada as well as the 6x7.
05-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've spent so much money on Pentax gear, I think I'm allowed to ask for some impartial advice, and Pentax doesn't make any camera in that class anyway
There is a non-Pentax forum on this site. You are more likely to get a helpful answer there. In fact, I am surprised the mods have not moved this thread to that section already.

Steve

05-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,
I just bought a pristine 6x7 Pentax tilt and shift lens at the weekend, so they are out there.
Good score. What brand of T/S lens?
05-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #39
Veteran Member

What do you guys think about 5D vs 5Dii? 5Ds with shutter counts around 10k run about half as much, and the comparometer shows that there is not much difference between the two...
You place your question in the wrong place, but I may have the answer you looking for...

5D vs 5Dm2? get 5Dm2.
beware that 5dm2 feels cheap when yoou compare with k5.
(shutter noise: clunk clunk clunk )

Tilt option 1: get a sony nex with pk tilt adapter.
Tilt option 2: get a tilt adapter that accept pentacon six lenses and mount on pentax slr/dslr.
Shift option 1: get a pentax shift lens, K 28/3.5 shift.
Shift option 2: get a shift adapter that accept pentacon six lenses and mount on pentax slr/dslr.
Tilt Shift option 1: get a sony nex with pk tilt adapter and use it with a shift lens.

Tilt Shift last option: get a complete canikon system for TS - i.e. 5dm2 and use canon's TS lenses as you suggested.

Best focal for tilt: Any focal, I prefer 50mm to 135mm.
Best focal for shift: Wide, no fish eye.
Best focal for tilt and shift: what ever focal you can affort.

Best sensor size for shift: FF of course, digital canikon, or pentax film.
Best sensor size for tilt: Any size.

You asking if you are crazy?
no, i don't think so
All options do have pro/cons and affect your wallet, but allow you to explore a new level.

Hope that helps..
05-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I think you're in the wrong place if you want people to tell you NOT to spend money on gear
But getting another interchangeable lens system is a slippery slope. Now it is only a T/S lens...but we all know it never stops with one lens :P Especially when you have such a vast array of goodies available to the Canon system.
05-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
But getting another interchangeable lens system is a slippery slope.
Not to mention, the thin edge of the wedge.
05-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #42
Pentaxian

What do you guys think about 5D vs 5Dii?
@gooseta,
FWIW, I just came across the following comment
in the discussion of an M42 lens:

"the full-frame Canon 5D mirror hits it on downswing.
I do not know about 5D2, which apparently has a slightly smaller mirror,
or perhaps a different swing arc -- the jury is still out,
and Canon is mum about the actual dimensions."
05-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
You place your question in the wrong place, but I may have the answer you looking for...
Great suggestions, hoanpham. I (still) use this setup with a medium format Zeiss 50mm, and it does the "shift" part of the job admirably. (That Zeiss may be too long for you on APS-C, but it is ungodly sharp!)

NEX is probably your best option, if only for the excellent focus peaking and form factor. Here's why:

Shift lenses correct for perspective distortion (by using the less-sharp edges of a too-large image circle), and if you shoot digital, almost all basic software can do the same thing equally well, even non-destructively during raw processing. Yes, they also allow for expanded field of views when stitching images in post, but just rotating the camera can do that these days. Tilt lenses, in landscape photography (not that "lensbaby" stuff), are used for getting nearly endless depth-of-field (thanks Capt. Scheimpflug!), which no software can do as well as tilting a lens (except focus-stacking, which requires lots of shots, and is a no-go if leaves are blowing, clouds moving, etc.). You probably know all this, of course, so my point is only that Tilt is more important than Shift these days.

However, from my experience, I can tell you that SLR viewfinders, even full-frame ones, are too small to accurately assess the focal plane tilt. So, most pros use live-view, unless they are really seasoned tilters, where they can calculate it based on experience. NEX systems shine here because their focus-peaking is much easier to see than Pentax, and allows you to easily see the tilt of the focal plane while you compose. (Sony also makes some of the best articulated LCD screens out there!) Canon has no focus-peaking in full-frame (unless I've missed it).

So, I'd strongly suggest going with hoanpham's earlier suggestion of an NEX body, tilt lens adapter, very good wide angle full-frame lens, or shift lens if you must have it. The tilt is where your money is at, the shift can be accomplished in software. Full frame advantages diminish when looking at these requirements.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-22-2013 at 09:27 AM.
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Great suggestions, hoanpham. I (still) use this setup with a medium format Zeiss 50mm, and it does the "shift" part of the job admirably. (That Zeiss may be too long for you on APS-C, but it is ungodly sharp!)
You might want to suggest which Zeiss 50mm. There are several but the CF/CFi FLE is the better but you have to set the focus range with it.

QuoteQuote:

... which no software can do as well as tilting a lens (except focus-stacking, which requires lots of shots,
Look at the DOF scale on 50mm lens and wider. You can focus stack a landscape in two shots at f11 more often than not.
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
You might want to suggest which Zeiss 50mm. There are several but the CF/CFi FLE is the better but you have to set the focus range with it.

Look at the DOF scale on 50mm lens and wider. You can focus stack a landscape in two shots at f11 more often than not.
Sorry for the thread hi-kack, but quick question.
When focus stacking for a landscape, do you move the entire camera on a rail like you would do for a macro focus stack?