Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Telescope with K Mount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Here's something I found on eBay - 300x Telescope with Pentax PK mount
Astronomical Telescope 300x Can Connected The Camera with Tripod | eBay

Last edited by RockvilleBob; 05-20-2013 at 07:02 AM.
05-20-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks interesting. Would love to see some sample photos taken with that
05-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I wouldn't expect much from that scope but at the current $109 you might consider it an experiment. Don't trust any telescope marketed primarily by magnification. Any telescope can theoretically reach 300x but you'll get a shaky, fuzzy image, with a lot of chromatic aberration. 100x is a more reasonable maximum practical magnification for a scope of that aperture.

The k-mount isn't a permanent part of that telescope. The k-mount is an adapter ring that goes between the scope and telescope. To learn more about how your camera can connect to a scope google terms like "prime focus telescope" and "eyepiece projection telescope".

Prime focus is done without an eyepiece; the scope become a simple manual lens. For prime focus photo work the advertised scope works like a 600mm long, f12 lens. My guess is it only has 2 elements.

Eyepiece projection couples the camera to an eyepiece. It extends the focal length and as all the extra finicky-ness expected as you increase focal length.
05-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I wouldn't expect much from that scope but at the current $109 you might consider it an experiment. Don't trust any telescope marketed primarily by magnification. Any telescope can theoretically reach 300x but you'll get a shaky, fuzzy image, with a lot of chromatic aberration. 100x is a more reasonable maximum practical magnification for a scope of that aperture.

The k-mount isn't a permanent part of that telescope. The k-mount is an adapter ring that goes between the scope and telescope. To learn more about how your camera can connect to a scope google terms like "prime focus telescope" and "eyepiece projection telescope".

Prime focus is done without an eyepiece; the scope become a simple manual lens. For prime focus photo work the advertised scope works like a 600mm long, f12 lens. My guess is it only has 2 elements.

Eyepiece projection couples the camera to an eyepiece. It extends the focal length and as all the extra finicky-ness expected as you increase focal length.
Thanks for the clarification. I asked them to post some photographs