Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help me decide?

So, I have had a month where photography was quite secondary to me-between work and family, I just was not able to take a good amount of photos, and this presents a bit of an issue...

I purchased an 18-250 and a 10-20 before my trip to Brazil-which was cut short before I could play tourist. The little experimenting I did, was not enough to really have me sure of my decision. I have a week before the 10-20 can't be returned anymore, and 2 weeks on the 18-250. So, here are my dilemmas.....

Currently, I have the 16-45 and 50-135 as what I considered my main two lenses. I wanted to try the 18-250 to potentially replace them, for a couple of reasons.
1-All major focal lengths in one package. Clumsy old me never has to worry about missing a shot because I am fumbling with the lens (spare me the two cameras suggestion, I think I'd choke myself with the second strap
2-For travel at least, it allows me to bring one lens to do the work of two-plus, it provides longer reach (yes, i could use a TC here, but still on the fence).

For the 10-20, I am just as torn because I have a 10-17 which I love, but they produce two very different images.

So, for those of you who have handled at least some of the lenses in question....what would you do? Keep the two? Sell the two and keep the all in one?
I am more likely to keep the sigma 10-20 I think, but not sure.

And since it may help....I got the 16-45 when I felt I wanted better glass than the 18-55, and the 50-135 because I wanted better than the 50-200, plus the allure as a great portrait lens. I want to take portraits, at least of my kids if not others for fun, but it hasn't worked out thus far. Otherwise, the majority of my work is likely to be scenery, family events, snapshots and the like.

What would be a good test I could set up, using the lenses, that would be really able to show me the differences? Just pick anything, or are there specific "test" shots that really show the capabilities? Reason I ask, is if I can put all three through a fair test, I can decide which IQ i am happiest with, and move on from there.

It's like...I really like the 50-135, but part of me is wondering, if the 18-250 had been available when I got the * lens, if I would have just gone that route instead, just for the versatility. Plus me thinks my skills aren't worthy of the star line yet. Just because I can afford it, doesn't mean I need it, I suppose

Sorry for the long post...just really torn on which direction to head in, in terms of if I am replacing 2 lenses with 1, or keeping things as is.

03-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If you can afford it I'd keep them all. All of those are great lens and will hold their value, giving you more time to play around and decide. See what you end up using over time. Think of your purchase more as a long term lease that you can buy out of very easily. If it ends up that you don't use the lenses in question just sell them. You will lose some money, but be more secure with your decision.

As for testing, I'm no expert, but I've been seeing which lens give me the results I like for the types of shots I like to play around with. In a few short months I've come up with 3-4 lens kits for different types of shooting sessions. A light travel kit is the next one, so I was interested to see what you had to say about eh 18-250mm.

Last edited by tybeck; 03-11-2008 at 01:34 PM.
03-11-2008, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It all comes back to the $$$. If you can afford it, keep them. If not, back they go.

For what its worth I think your kit is in pretty good shape with the 16-45 & 50-135, they are two of the better lenses in the modern Pentax line up.
I understand your point with the 18-250 as a travel lens, but even then I would imagine there will be times when you want to get 'that shot ' and reach for one of the other two.

I haven't got the 50-135, but from the images I have seen it is the next purchase.
Good luck.
03-11-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I could certainly deal with keeping them...but i think it's better for my photography to sell off a few and focus on a specific group for a while.

Granted, I don't shoot near enough..damn job....but I have way too many lenses that get used far too little. So that I think is part of it too.

Damned LBA.....because even as I contemplate selling a few.....I also contemplate what to get next (60-250....drool)

if this were new year's i'd make a resolution. buy less, shoot more

03-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
I could certainly deal with keeping them...but i think it's better for my photography to sell off a few and focus on a specific group for a while.

Granted, I don't shoot near enough..damn job....but I have way too many lenses that get used far too little. So that I think is part of it too.

Damned LBA.....because even as I contemplate selling a few.....I also contemplate what to get next (60-250....drool)

I guess you also need to examine your own photography patterns, do you use wide, long, landscape, people, animals, artistic flair, low light etc etc etc.

There would be a tempatation to leave the 18-250 on the camera all the time, which may not be the best thing. Example: I have the 18-125, a great travel lens, but it gets deliberatley taken off and replaced withe either the Sig 24mm f1.8 or DFA 100mm f2.8. I find doing that makes me think more about the shot, composition etc. So while the ultra zooms have a place, don't overlook the other very good glass in your kit.
03-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote

If you're already excited about the 60-250 you should return the 18-250 while you still can, you've already got the quite good 50-200, that's pretty close to the same reach.

Also let's take a look at your other lenses (at least the ones in your sig):

LBA in full effect Kit lenses 18-55mm 50-200mm DA 10-17MM Fisheye
DA 16-45MM F4 DA 40MM Limited m 50mm 1.7 Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro
DA* 50-135

Now the Sigma 10-20 as well.

Our kits are similar, I have a low light 50 and the sigma 50 macro, both keepers. Your DA40 doesn't take up any room anyway, so that's a given. It seems to me a lot of people with the fisheye love it, so that may be an argument to send back the Sigma 10-20 as well. Me, I would keep both. Lastly, the 50-135. I think if you are concentrating on 'shooting more' and 'buying less' this year, you should shoot with the nicest lenses you have in order to stave off the desire to buy a sharper/nicer lens. Pack the 16-45 and the 50-135 and the fisheye. You've got plenty of options between the 3 lenses and not 'too many' choices. Shure you'll wish you had a longer lens, but you'll get excellent images and you don't have to spend another dime, in fact you may get a 'few' back.

To be honest after shooting with these 3 lenses and really getting a feel for your kit, I'd bet the new 60-250 won't even seem that appealing anymore and you'll look to the other DA*s for long glass (DA* 200/2.8 paired with a 1.4x and 2.0x).

Long winded as usual. I just got the 50-135 and rearranged my bag to keep it on all the time after I saw what it was capable of (in my semi-capable hands).

Cheers, Matt
03-11-2008, 03:32 PM   #7

On the other hand, I'd give you a couple hundred bucks for your 16-45.

What do you say?

No really, you should keep it.
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
some good points--and at least partially how i was leaning.

the 250 is nice....but im not in love with it. honestly, the zoom creep and just how it looks when out at 250....its a turn off if you know what i mean.

im more inclined to keep the 10-20. starting a love affair with the super wides......

03-11-2008, 08:27 PM   #9

I'd give you a couple hundred bucks for that one as well.

Be honest, the only way you're not going to buy something soon is if you're happy with your kit.

Cheers, Matt
03-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ill get the full price on the 18-250 by returning it, so no worries there.

the only thing in my kit im really unhappy about? honestly? the bag
ive tried a lowepro slingshot 200, and it was only OK, then with the 50-135 it sucked wind.
I went huge and got the tamrac cyber 6, and while it holds everything, it's too huge...never left the house
My latest is a lowepro backpack whose name escapes me. i like it because it fits th 50-135 and doesnt kill alot of space in doing so, and it has a tripod strap and is small....but it carries awkward

domke here i come