Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #16

How do you focus with the lens backwards? By moving the camera and lens back and forward until you have focus?

01-25-2007, 01:23 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I also tried to find somethings for poor-man's macro and many ppl suggested for Canon 250D closeup lens, should be around 70~100$ and the results are amazing, maybe you can take a look at that...
01-25-2007, 06:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oskar Quote
How do you focus with the lens backwards? By moving the camera and lens back and forward until you have focus?

it's really tricky, depends on your focal length
that pretty much determines how close you can be to the subject, then you have to either move the camera or the subject little by little, and or turning the lens to focus. really tough the first time, but after a while it gets a little easier once you know the ranges. tripod helps a lot. to be honest, i dont know how some are able to photograph live insects. i guess if you do it enough, you can just go right a head...
01-25-2007, 07:15 PM   #19
roy
Inactive Account

forget the focus ring. in the time it takes to move it you've gone out of focus again. it's easiest with off camera flash. if enough light for available light then use your burst mode.
to make a reverse ring yourself all you do is drill a hole in a twist on body cap and glue an adapter ring to it.

01-25-2007, 07:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
forget the focus ring. in the time it takes to move it you've gone out of focus again. it's easiest with off camera flash. if enough light for available light then use your burst mode.
to make a reverse ring yourself all you do is drill a hole in a twist on body cap and glue an adapter ring to it.
gonna have to try that, the burst mode thing...
01-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #21
roy
Inactive Account

jon, it works well. especially with hi ratio macros. DOF with a reversed 50 at f16 is about 3/8'' so leaning in and out to focus is a must.
01-25-2007, 08:43 PM   #22

There's a better reason to move the camera in and out to focus - with most prime lenses on a reverse mount, turning the focus ring does nothing. If you watch the rear (now in front) element, it doesn't move away from the camera body - only the outer shell of the lens moves. This is true with all four of my prime lenses.
However, with internal focusing lenses, all bets are off.
01-25-2007, 09:53 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
could someone please take a photo of a camera with the reverse ring and lens mounted so I can see what it looks like?

never seen one before in my life. wondering if the image in my head will match the photo that someone diplayed

thanks

radny

01-26-2007, 12:14 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
could someone please take a photo of a camera with the reverse ring and lens mounted so I can see what it looks like?
Check this link, I found it through Google.

I have a M50/1,7 that changes legth as I focus, I might buy an adapter to try this. It's fairly cheap, so it's no big deal if it doesn't work.

I actually tried with a 200 mm on the camera and the 50 mm reversed in front of that. I got something like 5 times magnification and practically no DOF at all. Might have been better if I stepped down a bit. But it didn't feel very practical.
01-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
- to be honest, i dont know how some are able to photograph live insects. i guess if you do it enough, you can just go right a head...
Insects slow down in reduced temperatures; so chill, or even freeze them first.
For the chilled ones you need to have your set-up fully prepared before bringing them out from the cold as they very quickly re-animate.

Last edited by Rolly; 01-26-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Typo (a.p.u!)