Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Macro with a reverse kit lens?

I've been surfing around eekbay and noticed a mount that allows one to put the lens on backwards on their camera? I've also read in a magazine (don't remember which one) that this is a "poor man's" way of doing macro but is highly effective.

Anyone know about this, have any recommendations or opinions about this and have any sample shots?

Much appreciated.

01-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
roy
Inactive Account

you really need a lens with an aperture ring. i have some fantastic!! shots with a reversed 50mm.. time presses so i can't go into it right now but it's simple to make your own reversing adapter.
01-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

i just actually bought a k mount reverse macro adapter (i had to buy a screwmount to K adapter, and the seller had that also) for 10 dollars from ebay...
i've seen some really good shots from it....not a bad investment really if all you have to buy is the reverse mount..(or if you can make out for that fact)

now i Have a use for my old zx-50 kit lens...
01-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pentax reverse adapter is for 49mm filter threads, so it won't work with the kit lens, but I'm sure you can find one that fits on ebay

Macro this way isn't half bad, but primes are naturally better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-11-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL - Jon's now got 2 lenses that I'm considering (ZX-50 kit and the 135 mm he picked or is picking up from Mo - btw Jon, if and when you're ready to give it up, make me first in line!)

So now I'd like to know what lens is best with the 49 mm adapter you talked about since I don't know these lens specs too well yet. While waiting, I'll quickly browse the newly created lens database - THANKS MO!!

Note to self - Gotta get myself a paypal account...
01-11-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gives a huge magnification factor and a really small depth of field and very small working distance. Some excellent images possible however. When I had a Canon A70 I used my M50 in reverse and got some good results. This one is my favourite.

Haven't tried it on SLR yet. Perhaps this is one of the reasons the price of second hand manual 50s is increasing. Cheaper than the true macro lenses.
Here is a web site for someone who has perfected the technique.

Fine Art Photography - M. Plonsky

Note that he does use lots of canon equipment but does use the pentax M50 reversed
01-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The Pentax reverse adapter is for 49mm filter threads, so it won't work with the kit lens, but I'm sure you can find one that fits on ebay

Macro this way isn't half bad, but primes are naturally better.
not the kit lens from the k10 d...kit lens that came w/ my zx-50 if im not mistake, that had a 49 mm thread...

that thing is so beat up, it's not even funny...i should take some photos of both my zx-50 and the kit lens...

(speaking of which..it's not in the database mo...)

QuoteOriginally posted by alvin:
LOL - Jon's now got 2 lenses that I'm considering (ZX-50 kit and the 135 mm he picked or is picking up from Mo - btw Jon, if and when you're ready to give it up, make me first in line!)

So now I'd like to know what lens is best with the 49 mm adapter you talked about since I don't know these lens specs too well yet. While waiting, I'll quickly browse the newly created lens database - THANKS MO!!

Note to self - Gotta get myself a paypal account...
Mo sent it out already. LoL..thats why i went to ebay to pick up the screw to k adapter. i'll let you know how the lens works out w/ the adapter.
btw, it's a pentax SMC F 35-80 mm 1:4.5-5.6
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

shots of the zx-50 kit lens.

I dropped this thing a while back...well..a few times a while back..notice the chip on the lip, and the missing bezel that usually has filter size, and other numbers

SMC Pentax F 35-80mm

another angle

the a ring is so loose on that and the zoom ring is so tight....(after the drop(s)...still takes decent shots tho)

01-12-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

remeber that the smaller the MM the lens is, the greater the magnification..
also all you have to do to change the MM thread of the adapter is use a step up/down ring to the MM of the lens you want to use. here's a couple shots done with my DIY ring.

Last edited by roy; 06-02-2007 at 09:22 AM.
01-12-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
Forum Member

Reverse ring.

I have several 49mm thread lenses I use on my reverse adapter and the istD and have had very good results. With 28mm lens reversed the DOF was only a few mm and difficult to focus.
01-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

ully,
for me i found the 28mm just way too much mag and way too short of focusing distance. altho i have gotten good results with it. i prefer a 50mm. also, i idon't use the set up much anymore. a 1:1 is great and i'll add ex tubes if i want more magnification.
01-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Jon, was that the lens that you shot the transformer with? I'm surprised that despite the drop, the glass was still intact.

ArJay and Roy, really nice shots you got there. I continue to be amazed by the talent in this forum. Going on a tangent here, Roy - what sort of bug (spider?) is that?
01-13-2007, 02:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Jon, was that the lens that you shot the transformer with? I'm surprised that despite the drop, the glass was still intact.

the transformer was shot w/ sigma lenses. I had that lens in my desk drawer at work for some time. havnt really shot w/ it much, but it still produces decent results...

yeah.....surprised myself....wasnt a high drop, but a drop nonetheless
01-13-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
the transformer was shot w/ sigma lenses. I had that lens in my desk drawer at work for some time. havnt really shot w/ it much, but it still produces decent results...

yeah.....surprised myself....wasnt a high drop, but a drop nonetheless
it's a common ''jumping spider''... they get up to a little over 1/2'', 12mm, in size.. both shots taken with a DIY off camera flash rig w/diffusser..
01-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Arjay, I thought I had replied to you but it looks like I did not hit submit. Here is what I was going to say.

The link you posted to M. Plonsky's site is simply amazing. Your shot is a fine one as well. Thank you for sharing this with me and the other people of this forum!