Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 09:22 AM   #1

Vivitar Series 1 90MM Macro

I know the love for the 105 Macro, what's the deal with the 90? Is it as well loved?

--thrice

03-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
Igilligan

I got a M42 version of it...

QuoteOriginally posted by thrice Quote
I know the love for the 105 Macro, what's the deal with the 90? Is it as well loved?

--thrice
I have the old screwmount 90mm series 1 It has a matching Macro adaptor w/tripod mount... A total work of art... beautiful...

If there is a problem it is that to do true 1:1 macro you need to have the adaptor on. But the lens without the adaptor is a very sharp 90mm prime lens. Beautiful OOF areas and fast at
f2.5

Here is my original thread with a picture of the lens and some of my first shots with it are down farther in the thread.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/16196-old-vivi...-question.html

hope this helps
03-11-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is basically the same as the Tokina 90 macro, which is known for its beautiful bokeh. Photodo rating of this lens is 4.6, one of the highest ever tested on that site. I did a recent comparison between this lens and the Vivitar S 105 and the Voigtlander 125. It performs pretty well, though with the bluish cast signature.
03-12-2008, 06:50 AM   #4

Original Poster
It was actually your thread that got me looking at the Vivitar macro lenses, then I found one of the 90MMs for a decent deal and was wondering if it was worth pulling the trigger. Thanks for the response.

--thrice

03-12-2008, 06:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
IGilligan, I think the one I was looking at didn't have the macro collar, would this be hard to obtain? Being as I'm wanting to use it for some macro fun I think it would be important, yes?

--thrice
03-12-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have one of the Panagor 90/2.8s which is very, very good. Anyone know if this is similar to the Vivitar/Tokina? Mine is bayonet mount..............
03-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Igilligan

No adaptor? How much?

QuoteOriginally posted by thrice Quote
IGilligan, I think the one I was looking at didn't have the macro collar, would this be hard to obtain? Being as I'm wanting to use it for some macro fun I think it would be important, yes?

--thrice
I think it might be hard to find the original adaptor... The one I have is made of the same beautiful shiny black metal and has the built-in tripod mount. The tripod mount is very handy for some tricky macro work. It is possible that some of the later versions of the lens may not have needed the macro adaptor (like the Series 1 105) but I am not sure of that. Mine is definately a M42 screwmount version.

I think that post I linked to above, has mostly adaptor-less shots except for the coin and the corn... those were with the adaptor. But the blue berries and the leaf shot is without adaptor and you can see how close it focuses...

How much are they asking for the lens without the adaptor?

03-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Kovarik Quote
I have one of the Panagor 90/2.8s which is very, very good. Anyone know if this is similar to the Vivitar/Tokina? Mine is bayonet mount..............
The Panagor was made by Kiron, not by Tokina. It does have good reputation like some of the Kiron-made primes. In macro world, you can hardly find a "bad" dedicated macro prime. They might have different characteristics, wide open performance, but when you stop them down, they're all very sharp.