Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also use this forum to view the FA 43 results in the Limited lens club as well as the FA 43 lens samples archive. Both have a good collection of fine images showing attributes you may be looking for.

05-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #17
Site Supporter

I would agree with “alamo5000” and guess it’s the lighting. Also you may want to try an external light meter to verify that your camera is giving you the proper EV settings for this lens.

If you have an old Pentax film camera, try your FA43 on it and see if the results are better. (It could also be your copy of the FA43)
You also will get to see the FA43 in its proper FF glory.

Phil.
05-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Perhaps it was my expectation. Could someone post a photo with basic PP that shows off FA43's capabilities?
05-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I think several really great examples have been posted, and many more are in the FA Limited lens club. Maybe you should post one you are disappointed in, so we can see if it expectations, lighting, subject or whatever?

05-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I have had FA43 for over a year now but have not been able to muster a single shot that I am satisifed with. I have been looking through some of the FA43 photos posted and I do see from time to time a photo that I think has that 3D/FA limited look. I haven't been able to get any of my FA43 photos to look 3D or "FA limited", despite various attempts. I also know that when I process FA43 shots, I usually need to dial up the vibrancy setting in lightroom much more so than FA31 and FA77.

I have tested my lens at wide open and it's sharp and the corners behave much like the Photozone test of the FA43, which means the corner is soft at wide open and accetable sharp by F4 and onwards. I think there is a slightly higher CA in one of the corners. Overall I don't think my lens is defective, but I am certainly frustrated at the lack of quality photos.

All I want is to point FA43 at some random crap and get art - hope that's not too much to ask for
That's a great shot taken when all parameters were covered.
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I think several really great examples have been posted, and many more are in the FA Limited lens club. Maybe you should post one you are disappointed in, so we can see if it expectations, lighting, subject or whatever?
Probably represent the typical quality with my copy. Do these look "FA43"? The photos were taken at f4.0, f1.9 and f6.3, respectively.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by chesebert; 05-22-2013 at 09:51 AM.
05-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert:
All I want is to point FA43 at some random crap and get art - hope that's not too much to ask for
Well, yes, it is too much. i don't go along entirely with people who say, 'It's the photographer, not the lens'. The lens makes some difference. But the greatest lens in the world won't make random crap into art (unless it's on a 'street' forum, and in monochrome, in which case all random crap is regarded as art, and any lens can do it ... ).

You have to learn the essence of photography, which is a combination of your own eye and the technical resources at your disposal. I haven't got an FA43 - can't afford it. But I do know that, however good it is, it might make a good photograph somewhat better, but it will be no substitute for your own skill and imagination.

It sounds to me as if you are expecting the equipment to do your own work for you.
05-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The first one is OK, but the light is a little harsh. The second one the light is terrible, the highlights are all washed out, but the background is metered a little dark. No lens would fix that second shot, but the 43 probably hates it more than most lenses would.

I don't have the 43, but one thing I have observed is that it tends to favor softer light in a pretty pronounced way. Most of the shots with it that really pop are lit very favorably. Harsher light seems even more harsh with it. Sort of like a f-1 car that will go very fast, but can not be driven slow at all without crashing.

05-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The first one is OK, but the light is a little harsh. The second one the light is terrible, the highlights are all washed out, but the background is metered a little dark. No lens would fix that second shot, but the 43 probably hates it more than most lenses would.

I don't have the 43, but one thing I have observed is that it tends to favor softer light in a pretty pronounced way. Most of the shots with it that really pop are lit very favorably. Harsher light seems even more harsh with it. Sort of like a f-1 car that will go very fast, but can not be driven slow at all without crashing.
That's a good tip, along with getting closer or use wide open if doing environmental portraits. My other lens are not like this though.
05-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #25

The FA-43 is the only lens I really use right now and it has strengths and weaknesses. When shoot outside I have had my most stunning results from f 2.8 - f 12 depend on how bright it is out and what I am trying to isolate for clarity.

In doors I shoot wide open or f 2.0. Indoors I like to shoot, close ups of faces, and pseudo - macro shots of food and sculpture work. (I use the lens for work)

All that being said I also shoot with an A 50mm 1.7 and get results just a good with a lens that cost 1/4 of the 43mm but it doesn't have autofocus and it is narrower and the 43mm has a bit better colour and contrast but only under some conditions. The 43mm is more flexible than the a 50mm but under optimal conditions I can get the exact same image quality out of both lenses.

I would say just keep at it and experiment under lots of different conditions, if you produce an image you really love go out and try and replicate it, sooner or later you will get a feel for the lenses strong points. Or if you feel you don't use it enough sell it and try something new.

ps. Kozlok's tip is a good one. I try to avoid harsh light. Or if you do have harsh lighting condition shoot at your lowest possible iso, bump your shutter speed up and adjust your aperture so you don't wash out. It's totally doable just takes time and some trial and error.

Last edited by 1r0nh31d3; 05-22-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: addition.
05-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I'm still learning to use my FA 43, but so far I've been impressed with the photo's it has given me. It is true.... harsh light is not a friend of the FA 43 so I tend to stay away from that. Also I find on my K5 that it's sharpness is best at 2.4 or above, with 5.6 being optimal. So I know its limitations if you can call it that and work around them.

(ISO 80 , F3.5)

F1.9

Last edited by Driline; 05-22-2013 at 11:25 AM.
05-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #27
Forum Member

I'm also learning to use the FA43. It's quite an expensive lens. However I used to think that if I didn't buy this lens I would buy a FA35 plus another FA50 due to my LBA. So the total cost could be the same.

This photo is straight from my K200D (jpeg) without any processing:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8132/8802075322_78dc3257a0_b.jpg

This photo was modified to decrease the exposure using Lightroom :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/images/15476/large/1_8696193612_76461d0c62_b.jpg

I always take the picture using jpeg only.

Last edited by kswong_00; 05-23-2013 at 07:04 AM.
05-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Well, it was the cheapest FA LIMITED lens when I purchased it. And that's why I bought it first.
05-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #29
Pentaxian

I also have difficulty with the FA43. I think it's my composition (in)ability not a fault of the lens. My photography has evolved to landscapes, architecture, wildlife rather than portraits so I'm usually shooting wider than 24mm or longer than 100mm. 43mm is an uncomfortable focal length for me.

I continue to practice, though, and find that my FA43 keepers tend to be closeups of objects. My wife's favorite is an old door with cracked glass and rusting frame. My favorite is a katana. When I get the composition correct the 43 produces good results.

Sharpness, color, and the intangible "rendering" are excellent. I'm not a bokeh aficionado - as long as I can get things outside the focal point reasonably blurred I am content - so even at f2.8 the FA43 meets my needs.
05-26-2013, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

I have to call it like it is... it's the photographer. The lens is capable of the very best you can wring from it, but the rest is down to you. Learning that art can take a long time or... forever.

Looking briefly at the three shots you posted, the first is not quite in focus, or perhaps has subject blur -- I am not sure which. So no way will it "pop", no matter how cute the subject is! (She's a darling.) The background is quite distracting, especially the bit of the bike that peaks out to the left of her coat. In real life with candid shots, that's what we have to work with. But then again you shouldn't be expecting grab shots to stun anyone.

The second shot is over-exposed, is too contrasty, is not in focus, and has no real subject.

The third shot is very busy. Our eyes go to the couple who are out of focus. The part that is in focus includes the blossoms at the right edge of the frame. Again, decide what you do want to shoot and work the shot so that is where the eye goes. You could have focused on the couple and framed them with part of the tree. This would have meant moving your position. Or you could have got a good shot of the blossoms in the tree. I'm not saying it's impossible to do both, but obviously more difficult.

Your post-processing also seems harsh. There are lots of deep blacks with no detail. It appears you are pushing the colours too much as well. Both these things could be fine for other subjects, but not here.

Subject, light, composition, and development make a photo. The lens plays its part, but comes in at number five in the list.