Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How to get the best out of FA43 - get a better copy

I have had FA43 for over a year now but have not been able to muster a single shot that I am satisifed with. I have been looking through some of the FA43 photos posted and I do see from time to time a photo that I think has that 3D/FA limited look. I haven't been able to get any of my FA43 photos to look 3D or "FA limited", despite various attempts. I also know that when I process FA43 shots, I usually need to dial up the vibrancy setting in lightroom much more so than FA31 and FA77.

I have tested my lens at wide open and it's sharp and the corners behave much like the Photozone test of the FA43, which means the corner is soft at wide open and accetable sharp by F4 and onwards. I think there is a slightly higher CA in one of the corners. Overall I don't think my lens is defective, but I am certainly frustrated at the lack of quality photos.

All I want is to point FA43 at some random crap and get art - hope that's not too much to ask for

Last edited by chesebert; 07-12-2013 at 05:20 AM.
05-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're not alone.

After getting the FA77, and seeing how it weaves magic, I immediately went out to get an FA43. The FA77 is magical, and one can point to a pile of trash and produce a picture worth framing, but its focal length just wouldn't cut it indoors.

The FA43 disappointed me in the first few weeks. And disappointed me more after a few more weeks. But, by sheer dumb luck I produced a picture of my daughter that far exceeds FA77's rendering and instantly, it became what probably the best picture I have taken. Or maybe, I have not yet seen the best of what the FA77 can do.

Now, I'm still struggling to duplicate that luck, but knowing FA43's capability, I can only blame myself for not being able to consistently bring out what it can do. I doubt if I'll ever give my 43 up.
05-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Get closer!
05-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Two possibilities (in my view)....

1. The lens just doesn't suit you (or the other way round) - I have had this problem with a few lenses over the years, I know their capabilities but I've never been able to get the best out of them. The perfect example of this for me is the A 50mm f1.2 (I've owned 3 over the years) - a very highly regarded and rated lens, but it doesn't suit my style at all

2. The copy of the you have lens isn't quite as good as it could be - I owned 2 FA 43mm's that gave fairly good results (nothing spectacular), but it's only when I got my most recent copy that some photos of pretty ordinary subjects started to "pop" - I've formed the opinion in the last year or so that there are some small differences between copies of lenses that can make a big difference.

These are just my opinions, nothing scientific about them at all!

05-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

You want to be able to point your camera at a pile of trash, and have it take a picture worth framing, and you seek that ability through gear?
05-22-2013, 12:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I have managed to get that 'look' on a few shots...and I don't own an FA lens. I think a lot of it has to do with the lighting more than just the lens. I am sure its a fantastic lens (in fact so fantastic I want to buy all the FA's)...

Having a good sharp lens is critical and I have heard it from A LOT of extremely good photographers that if you do one thing with your money, its to invest in good lenses. Everything else as it relates to equipment is secondary.

But even if you have the best body and the best lens attached to the best body... if you feed it bad light or harsh light or don't know how to obtain or interpret those 'technical' factors... then no matter what lens you have the shots won't be as good as they could be.

Understanding the principles of light and lighting will give you more 3D shots than just buying a new lens or having the top of the line wigit.

What's the old saying about computers? Trash in, trash out? Well bad light in, poor image out. What are you feeding your lens is the question I would ask.
05-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Two possibilities (in my view)....

1. The lens just doesn't suit you (or the other way round) - I have had this problem with a few lenses over the years, I know their capabilities but I've never been able to get the best out of them. The perfect example of this for me is the A 50mm f1.2 (I've owned 3 over the years) - a very highly regarded and rated lens, but it doesn't suit my style at all

2. The copy of the you have lens isn't quite as good as it could be - I owned 2 FA 43mm's that gave fairly good results (nothing spectacular), but it's only when I got my most recent copy that some photos of pretty ordinary subjects started to "pop" - I've formed the opinion in the last year or so that there are some small differences between copies of lenses that can make a big difference.

These are just my opinions, nothing scientific about them at all!
Could you share where your latest copy is made and the serial # range? This information is very bad for my obsessive compulsive nature

Thanks!

Last edited by chesebert; 05-22-2013 at 12:36 AM.
05-22-2013, 01:19 AM - 1 Like   #8

For me it's a magical lens ... maybe the best I've ever had

Last edited by bobo2; 05-22-2013 at 01:30 AM.
05-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I have had FA43 for over a year now but have not been able to muster a single shot that I am satisifed with. I have been looking through some of the FA43 photos posted and I do see from time to time a photo that I think has that 3D/FA limited look. I haven't been able to get any of my FA43 photos to look 3D or "FA limited", despite various attempts. I also know that when I process FA43 shots, I usually need to dial up the vibrancy setting in lightroom much more so than FA31 and FA77.

I have tested my lens at wide open and it's sharp and the corners behave much like the Photozone test of the FA43, which means the corner is soft at wide open and accetable sharp by F4 and onwards. I think there is a slightly higher CA in one of the corners. Overall I don't think my lens is defective, but I am certainly frustrated at the lack of quality photos.

All I want is to point FA43 at some random crap and get art - hope that's not too much to ask for
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
Sorry, but it just ain't gonna happen...

I suggest you play with various kinds of lighting both in terms of geometry (low sun vs high sun vs side sun) and in terms of light itself - soft dispersed through the clouds, harsh on the sunny day, etc...

Having said that, I think that the best 3D lens in my arsenal is A 50/1.2 for K-mount, and Nokton 40/1.4 for my Ricoh GXR, though 50mm Ricoh GXR lensor may be even better. Yet, it has much more to do with the way you compose and control light than with the gear itself.
05-22-2013, 02:18 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA 43 has impressed me as much as the other FA Ltds. It was easy for me to see the difference it made to my results compared to the FA 50/1.4 I replaced it with. Amazing micro contrast, brilliant colours and a fine bokeh creating a pleasant 3D rendition. Nevertheless, I was never under the illusion that having an FA Ltd would create art out of bland subjects or poor framing/lighting. If anything, the lenses prefer less harsh lighting as they exhibit strong purple fringing. But the pros very easily outweigh the cons of these fine pieces of engineering.
05-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thing is, 43mm is a pretty normal focal length, very similar to human vision. So its photos won't be, just by virtue of being taken, as interesting as maybe a tele lens or a wide angle, which are so different from our everyday vision that they are interesting even if the content of the photo isn't. So with a lens like the FA 43, you have to use quite some skill. More than optical quality, it can't deliver. The rest is up to you.
05-22-2013, 02:41 AM   #12

one from yesterday...f 2,0
Attached Images

05-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
The FA 43 has impressed me as much as the other FA Ltds. It was easy for me to see the difference it made to my results compared to the FA 50/1.4 I replaced it with. Amazing micro contrast, brilliant colours and a fine bokeh creating a pleasant 3D rendition. Nevertheless, I was never under the illusion that having an FA Ltd would create art out of bland subjects or poor framing/lighting. If anything, the lenses prefer less harsh lighting as they exhibit strong purple fringing. But the pros very easily outweigh the cons of these fine pieces of engineering.
The problem is I am not sure I see the amazing micro contrast, brilliant colors (needs more of a PP push than 31 and 77) and fine bokeh (often harsh). What do I have to do do get those benefits (I have no problem getting those from the 31 and 77). Please show me an example with all three attributes and kindly explain how it was taken.

Last edited by chesebert; 05-22-2013 at 02:54 AM.
05-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobo2 Quote
one from yesterday...f 2,0
Goods shots and all, but I am not sure any of two shots shows what FA43 can do.

I often go back to the frog photo, but have not be able to replicate anything that's even close.
05-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wasn't sure about the FA43 until I used it every day in a "Single In" last year. Now I am. The advice to get close was spot on.