Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where's the Ricoh pin?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I won the following lens off of Fleabay and I've been told that there's the dreaded Ricoh pin on it that would cause it to get stuck to my body if I don't remove it. I took a look at the pic on the site (I'm still waiting on it to arrive) and I'm not sure what to look for.

ZOOM-MACRO *70-210 * " PENTEX / RECOH " **LOOK** - eBay (item 170198664436 end time Mar-09-08 16:19:58 PDT)

Any help would be appreciated.

Heather

03-11-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There was another thread regarding Ricoh pin not so long ago. You can search for it.

The pin is the one at 2pm on your picture (or if you point the red alignment dot at 12pm, then it is at about 6pm). The other pin together with the three other contacts is the A pin.

I have removed the Ricoh pin from my Sigma lens so if you have any questions let me know. There is also a nice guide with pictures here but my lens did have a different mount underneath.

Oh, and one more thing, do not loose the small ball that makes the nice click when you change the aperture ring.
03-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #3

It is really easy to take the pin out. I did the same thing to a lens I bought to use on my DL and it takes all of 2-3 minutes. In fact, took longer to find the screwdrivers than it did to use them. This reminds me, I need to go get my lens back after my dad borrowed it...
03-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have that same sears lens and did the modification, and like the others have said it's easy. I remember having to use one of the small flat-tip screwdriver out of my precision set because none of my phillips would fit, the screws are very small and easy to lose.

After the modification I was testing the lens and noticed that my pics were overexposed. I checked the lems and found that the aperture blades were sticking in the fully open position making the lens only usable at f4 in the auto modes or manually setting the aperture in manual. Check your new lens to make sure the aperture blades don't stick. I have another sears prime lens (135mm) that sticks. I haven't tried to fix either lens.

03-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #5
Forum Member

My previous camera (& I still have it) was a Ricoh XR-M & all my lens that I used on it, I use on my K10D without modification, including the Rikkenon kit 35- 70 zoom, a Tamron teleconverter & Tokina 70-210 (now deceased). Maybe some pins extend just that little bit further on some lenses to cause a problem. Measuring with a vernier, the pin on the kit lens extend about 0.76mm above the slightly raised edge of the interface on the lens. As it the pin depresses, it's a bit hard to judge exactly. But it's probably best to not take the risk, I guess.
03-12-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have mounted my Sigma Ricoh mount lens on my istDL with no problems even with the pin still in place. But I guess I got scared seeing pictures of people using hacksaw to get their lenses off. So I have removed the pin just to be safe.
03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens surgery successful :)

I got the lens today and managed to get the pin out and it works fine on my K10. I went out and took some shots with it, which I'll be putting in another post.

Heather

03-12-2008, 05:23 PM   #8

I had the stuck lens with a Sears 300MM and a metal tape measure was perfect to free it up.