Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2008, 10:02 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Pardon my tardiness, but I haven't checked this thread in a while, though--I don't want to tempt myself too much.
Yes, I am the one and only "book-junkie" on Fleabay--I do love to read and I'm also a librarian to boot. Yes, I'm still waiting on that darn macro teleconverter--that's what happens when the seller is in California and you're in Florida and he chooses UPS ground service to ship it, so I have to wait and wait and wait...

I have recently added a M28/2.8 to my collection and am waiting on a M50/1.4 to come, as well as the macro TC that I've been waiting on for almost 4 weeks now.

Despite not looking at this thread, I'm now trying to decide between the 77 Ltd, the M85, and the M100/2.8. All could be used on both digital and film bodies and with the macro TC. I wish that 77 weren't quite so expensive, otherwise I'd order it and get it over with. Is the IQ on the 77 so good that it would be a no-brainer to forgo the other choices and save and save until I could afford one, or would I be just as or almost as satisfied with one of the other 2 choices? Any help you could give me would be much appreciated.

Yesterday, I was out playing with the K10 and 28 and found myself at an azelea bush chasing a large bee with a short lens. When I came to my senses, I knew it was time call it a day.

BTW, I've got a very popular manual 70-210/2.8-4 lens in pristine condition listed on Fleabay right now, which I hope will give me a nice start towards whichever lens I buy next.

Heather--who wishes she was made of money right now--I'd like a round of 77s for everybody in the house, please!
I'm in Boston, so still waiting for that damn macro TC too! Grr.... At least it's coming Let's be patient!

I have the exact same problem as you regarding Ltd 77 vs 85mm vs 100mm macro. I just received a Jupiter 85mm f/2 as a gift, so maybe I shouldn't worry about it any longer, but I really want a fast + sharp-wide-open 85mm for candid portraits indoors. Should I save up for the 77mm? Should I save up for an A* 85mm? Should I just get a macro f/2.8 in the 90-105mm range to cover both macro and short telephoto? So difficult to decide! Oh the horror!

And I also need a fast 24mm... I think this is my plan (anyone feel free to critique it):
  1. I'll bid my time using the Jupiter 85mm for now
  2. Use the Vivitar macro TC for now
  3. Save up to buy a Sigma 24mm f/1.8
  4. Save up to buy a Ltd 77mm or an A* 85mm
  5. Save up to buy a 1:1 macro lens in the 100mm region

At this point I'd have my core prime system in place:

24mm f/1.8 |------| 50mm f/1.4 |------| 77mm f/1.8 or 85mm f/1.4 |------| 90-105mm f/2.8 macro

This will likely take a couple of years, but you need a plan, right? Yeah, I'm talking about organised LBA; who would've thunk such a thing existed!?

03-31-2008, 11:51 AM   #92
Pentaxian

For the price, it's not a bad lens at all. Here are some samples I took with it over the weekend...

IMGP1762.JPG photo - Heather photos at pbase.com
IMGP1768.JPG photo - Heather photos at pbase.com
IMGP1737.JPG photo - Heather photos at pbase.com
IMGP1753.JPG photo - Heather photos at pbase.com

For a while, I was down on the M-series because they were so hard to use with the DS I had, but I'm glad that I've given them a second chance with the K10D.

HTH,
Heather
Very nice, thanks.
Maybe mine will show up tomorrow, maybe. Oh why is waiting so hard?
03-31-2008, 02:51 PM   #93

Well, it's the last day of March, and the only lens I got this month was a used Lensbaby from Adorama for $69. Well they said it was used, but it was still in a sealed box; the box had been smooshed slightly, but the lens looks like it's never been touched. So I guess I'm not addicted. But I do want a 200 prime one of these days.
03-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #94
Veteran Member

I actually manged to get "done" with my "short list" today! Heck, I even had money left over for the mortgage to boot!

03-31-2008, 04:51 PM   #95
Inactive Account

Last one of the month, for me; A 28mm f/2.8

Mint, I've really been lucky with the 2 M's and 1 A lens I have bought.

Here it is on the K100D Super;

...and the first shot through a dirty window...

Last edited by metalfab; 03-31-2008 at 04:56 PM.
03-31-2008, 07:12 PM   #96
Veteran Member

It finally showed up today! :)

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I'm in Boston, so still waiting for that damn macro TC too! Grr.... At least it's coming Let's be patient!

I have the exact same problem as you regarding Ltd 77 vs 85mm vs 100mm macro.

My Vivitar 2x macro TC finally showed up today. It's too late to go play with it today, but perhaps I'll go play with it tomorrow after work.

I don't know if you've seen my poll thread regarding which lens I should get (77/85/100). At this point, the 77 has the overwhelming lead. One thing I'm concerned about is if I don't get the 77 and Pentax stops producing it, I'm going to be kicking myself in the butt for not getting it while it was still in production, as it wouldn't surprise me if the FA limiteds would start to increase in value once they are out of production.

It'll be hard waiting until I get the cash to pay for one, but I'm hoping the wait will be worth it.

Heather
03-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Seek, and you shall find...

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
I thought I had settled on the DA70mm for its small size, but I'm starting to like the perspective of a longer lens for protraits.

I wonder how the D-FA 100mm f2.8 macro would be as a long portrait lens?

Mike
I guess this is my answer: PENTAX Photo Gallery

Nice.

Mike

03-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #98
Veteran Member

One thing I'm concerned about is if I don't get the 77 and Pentax stops producing it, I'm going to be kicking myself in the butt for not getting it while it was still in production, as it wouldn't surprise me if the FA limiteds would start to increase in value once they are out of production.
Maybe we need to buy two Ltd 77s, so when they stop making them we can sell the 2nd one for twice what we paid and end up keeping the first for free.
04-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Vivitar 2x macro TC finally showed up today. It's too late to go play with it today, but perhaps I'll go play with it tomorrow after work.

I don't know if you've seen my poll thread regarding which lens I should get (77/85/100). At this point, the 77 has the overwhelming lead. One thing I'm concerned about is if I don't get the 77 and Pentax stops producing it, I'm going to be kicking myself in the butt for not getting it while it was still in production, as it wouldn't surprise me if the FA limiteds would start to increase in value once they are out of production.

It'll be hard waiting until I get the cash to pay for one, but I'm hoping the wait will be worth it.

Heather
I boldy predict that when the 77 stops being produced it will fetch the "as new" price or higher. You also have to decide whether you like your finishes in classic black or luxurious silver.
04-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #100
Veteran Member

The "luxurious" silver is already shooting up in price. Time will come when the "classic" follows the foot step.
04-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
The "luxurious" silver is already shooting up in price. Time will come when the "classic" follows the foot step.
Do people prefer the silver one? I much prefer black lenses.
04-03-2008, 03:47 AM   #102
Veteran Member

Me too. I bought the black ones. I now have the 31 and 77, but I am looking for a "deal" on the 43. I did get great prices (relatively) on the other two.

I did some pixel-peeping on some 31 photos, and it looks to me like the 31 resolves higher than the K20D can resolve!! So these lenses will work fine on a future camera body with 50 or 60 MP resolution! Amazing!

I have spent so much money in the last year on Lenses... Ugh! We need to form a LBA Anonymous group... I suppose that it would eventually become a buyers club!
04-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #103

it would be great if someone had an in with a retailer.
would could use our purchasing power to get some decent deals.

i knew of one photo place in the cayman islands that was pretty reasonable but the shipping rate was quite expensive.
04-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #104
Veteran Member

The Silver is more "limited" in number at the moment. Personally, I like the silver look since it makes the lens standing out from the rest (fitting the limited status). However, I couldn't find one so I bought the black version. Ironically, the silver one was first released in the US, while the black one was exclusive in Japan. The situation is now changed.

A buyer club is great. We just need to post a thread asking what lens people are planning to buy. When we have enough people to strike a deal, then we just proceed with the purchase. Hopefully that would reduce the shipping and a couple of % off the tag.
04-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #105
Veteran Member

I found my silver one at Roberts Camera in Canada. Way to go Canada!