Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Making a pano with 8mm FE- anyone done it?

If so, any tips? I'm traveling next week and want to give it a try.
Is the basic technique 4 photos across and 1 up and 1 down in the middle?
I won't get a second chance at any of the places we go.

05-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I have done this hundreds of times with a circular fisheye, but now use a 10-17, which is diagonal fisheye. With any fisheye, use a tripod and a pano head if you want to capture the "sphere" around you... and for a circular fisheye, you are right with the 4-around, one up, and one down if the ground is interesting. My 10-17@10mm requires 6-around...

Of course, where you are traveling you might not get a chance to use a tripod, either. In that case, with a little practice and a good pano stitching program, you can use a piece of string and a weight, like this (called a "philopod"). The important part is that you rotate everything around the lens, not the camera body or your head.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-24-2013 at 09:40 AM.
05-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
It depends how good is your stitching program. Four shots plus zenith and nadir are usually enough. If shooting handheld use the philopod technique. Try to avoid any near objects, especially thin ones such as railings, as the inevitable parallax will make good stitching harder.
05-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It depends how good is your stitching program. Four shots plus zenith and nadir are usually enough. If shooting handheld use the philopod technique. Try to avoid any near objects, especially thin ones such as railings, as the inevitable parallax will make good stitching harder.
Thanks, i'll prob try with hugin. I'll have a travel tripod