Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #1

Recommended Adapter for Hasselblad Lenses + Focusing Screen

I received an early inheritance from an uncle of mine. He was an extremely advanced photographer with over 50 years of experience and shot with a Nikon S2 Rangefinder and a Hasselblad 500C. As a matter of fact, the Hassy was what he used to capture my parents' wedding back in 1972, which makes this gear even more special to me.

At any rate, I have the Zeiss Sonnar 150mm f/4 and Planar 80mm f/2.8 lenses just waiting to be mounted on my K10Ds. What is your opinion and experience with the Fotodiox adapter for use with the Hassy lenses? Would you recommend the Fotodiox adapter or is there something better out there that I should look into?

My second inquiry is related to an excellent focusing screen for manual focus use. I have read quite a few posts on another forum regarding the Katz Eye Optics screens, but would be interested in reading more from Pentax enthusiasts.

Any input is truly appreciated.

Cheers!

03-12-2008, 02:19 AM   #2

Hi there,

Can't help with the Hassy lenses, but we'd love to see some examples once you've got them to work on camera.

There's been lots of entries on the Katzeye screen, I don't know if this link is going to work (if not, type Katzeye under 'search':

Go Back PentaxForums.com > Pentax Photography > Pentax DSLR Discussion
Reload this Page which new focusing screen?

Good luck, most of the comments on the katzeye screen relate to metering (and the effect of the light/dark parts of the split focus circle)
Am considering getting one myself because I use a lot of older lenses (and prefer manual focussing anyway)
03-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Personally, I would go with the Fotodiox 1st since it's the cheapest option. Zoerk does offer similar adapter, but it costs you $300. This adapter would be definitely better than the Fotodiox one (at least construction wise).

On the side note, don't expect too much from these Hassy glasses. Though they might perform wonderfully on the Hassy, they might not perform that well on your Pentax K10D. They definitely have less resolving power and less than ideal coating for digital.
03-13-2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Zeiss glass always has the magic in them. Do share your images when you get the adapter.

Son from FM is a very knowledgable man with adapting cross-brand lens on Canon system. Personally, I would ask him about the Fotodiox adapter. After all, the guy designed an adapter to eliminate CA issue on the Distagon 21 and the Planar 85 Jahre.

11-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #5

Hi there,

I'm now in exactly the same situation as the original poster: I inherited a truckload of Hasselblad V-series gear (two 500 EL/M bodies and six lenses, ranging from wide-angle to 500 f/8 Tele-Tessar); and since I don't have the moolah for a digiback yet (sorry, complete film idiot here), but believe that those fantastic lenses need to be worked out regularly, I ordered a Zörkendörfer adapter for my K10D. It's bound to arrive next week, and I can't wait!

Of course, now I'm eager for any kind of information on what I'll be dealing with. So, desame.one, did you buy that adapter after all? Care to share your experience so far?

And what would I need to know about operating the Pentax/HB rig? I've found that you're supposed to shoot in aperture priority mode and use DOF preview to decide on how far to stop down the lens manually. Anything else? Will all three metering settings still be working and accurate? What's the "workflow" for taking a shot?

Thanks very much in advance for your answers!

Hans, still a total n00b after six months

Last edited by TwoTon; 11-28-2008 at 08:22 AM.