Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why is my lens info missing in EXIF data

I have a K5 and some of my lenses report either incorrect lens like my Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 ver 1 will be reported as a Sigman 10-20mm lens and my DAL 55-300 will not even report what lens I shot a picture with. Anyone know why that will happen. My other lenses report the correct data just these two don't???

05-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Whatever SW you are using to read the EXIF is does not have an up to date EXIF library. Third party lenses are always hit or miss anyway as they tend to reuse the lens codes. Try ExifTool...

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

If you are a Window$ user there is a GUI version. If you are a Mac user it is built into GraphicConverter.
05-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'l give it a try
05-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Lightroom the DAL 55-300 did not report correctly on older versions. It does report correctly on LRv4. As noted it is a software issue, not a camera or lens issue. Try updating your software. And as Boriscleto noted third party lens do not always report correctly. It is supposed to be because they use the same ID code on multiple lenses but I don't know for certain that is the issue.

05-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

1+ to boriscleto's comment. Improper identification of non-Pentax lenses in exif is a continuing problem. If the lens code is missing from the importing software's library, nothing is displayed. If the lens code is the same as another lens, it may be identified as the other lens. This is a particular problem with Sigma.

You can manually edit the exif using ExifTool. It is a command-line utility, but a graphical user interface (GUI) is available as a separate download. I use ExifTool for my scanned film images to properly assign camera and lens.

Steve
05-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the open source LensFun library I use with UFRaw identifies my Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 (non-HSM) as a 70-300. Luckily it was quite simple to patch the code and recompile the package so now it gets identified correctly. Then the Sigma 8-16mm which seems to have an issue with focal lengths 10mm and lower which report out as 0. Found a cure for that on this very forum with a short script that uses exiftool to pull the info from somewhere else in the file and rewrites it correctly to the exif.

Remember: it's almost never the camera or the lens, it's usually the editing software although with the 8-16 it is at the very least a shared issue between camera and software.
05-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
It tends to be a Sigma thing, as long as your getting great images I would nae worry.

05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
It tends to be a Sigma thing, as long as your getting great images I would nae worry.
Usually: yes but the 17-70 has some noticeable distortions at 17-20mm that can get in the way of a good image so I can imagine the wish to have that corrected.