Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time for another kick at the super zoom can

The Sigma 18-250 has come to Tess' attention as a possible "one lens per canoe trip" option. This prompted by the fact that on our last trip, we carried a whole pack for lenses that taken individually didn't get used very much. We'd like fewer lenses for backpacking etc.

My lenses of choice are the Pentax 18-135 and A400, so the 18-135 is out of play. One of each lens is enough.

So this is where we are starting

SIGMA NON-OS 18-250 3.5-6.3 PENTAX HSM
16 oz./ 470 g.

The OS version is 630g /22.2 oz.
(SIGMA OS 18-250MM DC PENTAX AF HSM)

At the moment she caries the Tamron 90 for macro work, The tamron 17-50 and her F 70-210. This would replace all 3 and give her more reach, and give her the option of having the lens available in a single waterproof case, that could be opened without concern for spilling the other lenses.

The lens seems to be very highly rated although one site says it controls lens distortion and CA at the cost of resolution, but that could be a positive...
Other nice things is using their testing the @ F11 this lens recieves an excellent rating from one site at 250 mm. If there is another superzoom that does (achieves an excellent rating based on MTF numbers at over 200mm) I'm not aware of it. My 18-135 does, but the sigma has much better edge sharpness.

The Pentax 18-270 at anything over 100mm is pretty much a write off, please don't go there.

I just wonder if there are any opinions out there OS vs non -OS

Or are there any better options? Has anyone else done research on super zooms?

05-27-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know what lenses you're talking about - there is only 1 "new" Sigma Macro 18-250mm for Pentax, and it doesn't have OS in Pentax mount. I tested this lens but sent it back. It's not a bad lens, and by most accounts if you want only one lens it's the best choice out there. But it's slow, and by that I mean the maximum f-stop drops very fast as you zoom toward the long end. It seems to be well constructed and at least my copy seemed to have consistent performance across the frame. It would be my choice if I wanted just one lens to cover those ranges, but in the end I decided to go with two lenses to cover the same range - the 17-50 Tamron and 55-300mm Pentax. I'm not thrilled with the Pentax (any of the 4 copies I've tried so far) but overall the combination does provide better performance than the single lens covering both ranges. Plus you get f2.8 up to 50mm.

I'm not aware that there's a consensus that the 18-270 Tamron/Pentax is a "write-off" over 100mm, but if you feel that way, you probably won't be happy with the Sigma either.

Paul
05-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

You may consider the older DA18-250mm/Tamron18-250mm. It is not OS and does not have HSM. It is discontinued but you find it regularly on the PF marketplace and Keh.com listing for $350-$450.The Tamron tends to go slightly cheaper, but the two lenses are absolutely identical.

The lens is very sturdy. Definitely. And it was tested by many Pentaxians here and elsewhere. The iQ is regarded among the best among all brands' superzoom lenses, but it not on par with a prime lens.

The lens weights 45g, it is pretty compact when at 18mm. There are many worthwhile user's reviews at SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.

My wife and myself share the DA18-135mm and DA18-250mm. My wife likes the DA18-135mm and I prefer the DA18-250mm, but the IQ is very similar between the two lenses IMHO.

I shoot mostly outdoor in all-weather conditions, incl. storms, rain, sandy/windy conditions. The DA18-250mm is perfect for my needs, as long as you take care of the zoom (to avoid pumping droplet in).

I hope that the advice may help.
05-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, but there is an OS version, from the Henry's on-line catalogue...

05-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You may consider the older DA18-250mm/Tamron18-250mm. It is not OS and does not have HSM. It is discontinued but you find it regularly on the PF marketplace and Keh.com listing for $350-$450. The lens is very sturdy. The iQ is regarded among the best among all brands' superzoom lenses, but it not on par with a prime lens.

The lens weights 45g, it is pretty compact when at 18mm. There are many worthwhile user's reviews at SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database.

My wife and myself share the DA18-135mm and DA18-250mm. My wife likes the DA18-135mm and I prefer the DA18-250mm, but the IQ is very similar between the two lenses IMHO.

I shoot mostly outdoor in all-weather conditions, incl. storms, rain, sandy/windy conditions. The DA18-250mm is perfect for my needs, as long as you take care of the zoom (to avoid pumping droplet in).

I hope that the advice may help.
Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to stay away from non HSM.SDM lenses, the noise from screw drive sends my little dog Kenzie into conniptions.