Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Lens Cleaning

Hello everyone,

I've been shooting photos on an old Pentax KM recently. I had it serviced maybe 6-7 years ago but it's been left largely unused since. I suspect there might be some slight fungal growth on the lens but I am not completely certain -- there is a lot of dust though.

I have purchased some new lenses from eBay and my chief concern is that the interchanging of lenses on the camera body will cause the fungus to spread (to the new lenses). I'm assuming that both the old lens & the camera body has been tainted; I might be wrong. Is this a valid concern? I just want to take all reasonable precautions before I begin using my new lenses.

In any case, I intend to have the camera & its current lens looked at - hopefully, before the new lenses arrive. This brings to my my next question.

Is the disassembly, servicing, cleaning and reassembly of older lenses a straightforward process? I am currently using 1.8/55mm K prime lens and the other lenses I have ordered are from the same series. I am a little worried that the process will do more harm than good and that the lenses will not be restored to its optimum mechanical condition. I mean -- if it's just dust and not fungus, I guess a CLA on the lens isn't required? How "easy" is the process for a competent camera tech and what is the likelihood of complications?

Appreciate your thoughts! Thank you

05-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rud Quote
Is the disassembly, servicing, cleaning and reassembly
I don't know about rest of what you're looking for, but unless you have experience or deep pockets (to buy new lenses if you can't get the old ones back together) I'd suggest having a pro do it... Took apart one of my old Rikenon-P 50's a while ago.. Couldn't remember how it went back together. If you're just taking out the elements you might be okay, you can probably find a tutorial on it online, but in my experience unless the lens is complete junk or you don't mind replacing it, it's best to have someone who knows what they are doing do it for you. Just my two cents.
05-28-2013, 02:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled a takumar 28mm the other day, plus took a part everything in a M50 1,7 except for the aperture. I had no prior experience with working on lenses, but I have tinkered with stuff now and then all my life. The aperture in the 28mm was difficult and time consuming to rebuild! So stay away for that and possibly also the focus mechanism. However if all you need to do is clean the lens elements it's really simple and straight forward.