Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Picked up a LOT of stuff for real cheap -- advice?

Today I bought a Pentax SF1, K1000, F 50mm f/1.7, F 1.7x AF converter, A 50mm f/2, and an old zoom lens with some fungus in it -- all for very cheap. The F50/1.7 quality is excellent, although it sounds slightly grind-y when focusing from infinity to close range (but not the other way). Is that normal or could it be an issue? It didn't have any trouble focusing -- just the noise that bothered me.

Now I'm thinking of what to do with all this stuff. I don't really shoot film and I already have a MX. I'll probably end up selling the SF1 and K1000 and possibly the teleconverter. I do have a question, though:

Is the F50/1.7 up to par with the M50/1.7? I'm not looking at sole sharpness, but also rendering and bokeh. I adore the rendering of the M, especially in certain situations.
Also, is the A 50mm f/2 worth keeping? It has average reviews and I feel like it wouldn't bring much to the table.

05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Today I bought a Pentax SF1, K1000, F 50mm f/1.7, F 1.7x AF converter, A 50mm f/2, and an old zoom lens with some fungus in it -- all for very cheap. The F50/1.7 quality is excellent, although it sounds slightly grind-y when focusing from infinity to close range (but not the other way). Is that normal or could it be an issue? It didn't have any trouble focusing -- just the noise that bothered me.
F series lenses tend to be a little louder than newer ones since they are from the first generation AF line from Pentax. (I have 8 Feries lenses in total.)
Now I'm thinking of what to do with all this stuff. I don't really shoot film and I already have a MX. I'll probably end up selling the SF1 and K1000 and possibly the teleconverter. I do have a question, though:
You should be able to fetch at least $350 for the converter by itself depending on it's condition
Is the F50/1.7 up to par with the M50/1.7?
They have the same optical qualities the only thing that might be slightly different are the SMC coating, but I don't know for sure.
Also, is the A 50mm f/2 worth keeping?
Maybe to use as a macro lens reversed so you wont risk damaging the more expensive 50 1.7.

Last edited by Roob-N-Boots; 05-27-2013 at 09:02 PM.
05-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Roob-N-Boots Quote
F series lenses tend to be a little louder than newer ones since they are from the first generation AF line from Pentax. (I have 8 Feries lenses in total.)

You should be able to fetch at least $350 for the converter by itself depending on it's condition

Maybe to use as a macro lens reversed so you wont risk damaging the more expensive 50 1.7.
Thanks for that. The converter is actually in really good condition. I might keep it for some future A/M lens purchases.

QuoteQuote:
They have the same optical qualities the only thing that might me slightly different are the SMC coating, but I don't know for sure.
Interesting. The coating actually looks very similar to the coating on my M lens. Both exhibit dense blue and orange reflections. It looks really nice (not that that would have an effect on the photos :P ). I'd imagine they have similar coatings. I'll probably do some test shots tomorrow to determine how similar the two lenses are, but will probably end up keeping the M anyways.