Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

pulled the trigger, Sigma 10-20 + Flash

i fell in love with the Sigma 10-20 esp at 10mm when i was messing around with my friends Canon 30D before i even purchased my pentax

i had also handeled the Sigma on a Nikon D50 body, and also greatly enjoyed the pictures that came out

(shameless plug:
http://fork.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p80287809-4.jpg
http://fork.zenfolio.com/img/v3/p196164024-4.jpg )

i have a Zenitar 16mm fisheye for really wide angle stuff, but the rectalinear distortions are for an entirely different purpose than circular distortions.

i always wanted the sigma for interior photography from an architectural view. the rectalinear distortions are perfect for photographing rectangular shapes because you dont see the distortion, it tends to stretch things out.

this lens is HORRIBLE for shooting people, unless they are in the center, anyone cought outside the center does not look appealing at all.

the sigma had to come, i just didnt feel like paying for it (so far its the most expensive of all my lenses hahaha)

so i just put the order in at B&H for 499, which is already 119 dollars better than what i would pay here in canada, plus B&H are pretty reputable.

i ALSO finaly pulled the trigger on a 540 flash, i could have probably opted for the non swivel 360 but believe me people the swivel head helps a ton, and is a useful feature if you allow yourself to use it.

now i can really take on bar photography!!

03-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on your new investment! I think that you will be very happy with the Sigma 10-20. I am happy with mine.

One of the things that I like to "take snapshots" of when I travel, is the accomodations. Only a very wide lens will take a nice picture of our small cabin on a cruise ship. Or perhaps at a bed and breakfast, it takes a wide lens to take all the antique furniture in. If you have ever been to the California Redwoods, it takes a very wide lens to get just the bottom part of the tree in the picture!
03-13-2008, 09:28 AM   #3

Nice.. This and Bigma are on my most wanted list. Cheapest I've found it in Canada is Aden Camera for $539.
03-13-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gooshin, congratulation on your new purchase.. actually I was thinking about purchasing the same two items as well. I do have the Sigma 18-50, which is pretty decent, but I want something wider. I also need to add the versatility of the AF-540FZG, in addition to my AF-360FZG which is decent but not good enough in certain situations. I still have the K100D my daugher use, so I will keep the AF360.

I was waiting for the CDN to US dollar conversion rate to go higher to pull the trigger. Like you, I would buy it from BHPhoto since it is cheaper there even with shipping charges. I would patronize our local stores such as Henrys, Aden, Downtown Camera if they can price match (or close enough), and unfortunately, they can't and the price difference is too much. I purchase most my stuff from BHPhoto and Adorama (higher shipping) in the US. I also purchased my gear from thecamerastore in Calgary to save on PST and also for the Canadian warranty - especially the body. Speaking about purchase from Canada, does anyone of you have experience buying from Prodigital2000 on ebay? Their price seems to be quite good (may be they don't have too much overhead). What about the return policy? When people return the "defective" item, do they turn around and ship it to someone else? Also, I wish their business location is in Ontario, I wish they are out of province (like Manitoba), then I am sure they will get more business from Ontario.

Gooshin, when you have a chance, can you share with us the quality of your new toy (Sigma 10-20), my friend got the same Nikon version for his D200, it looks pretty sharp?
Thanks,

03-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am actually contemplating to purchase this zoom for some time. The cost is bothering me a little in deed.

With bar photography, it would be a great lens for sure. Just not sure how many bars actually allow people to photograph these days?
03-13-2008, 03:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Keep seeing great images with the sigma 10-20, made my mind up that I'm definitely buying one very soon !!

simon
03-13-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

N00b alert - the 10-20 isn't corrected for use on film SLRs, is it?
03-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
N00b alert - the 10-20 isn't corrected for use on film SLRs, is it?
Not sure what you mean by "corrected for use on film SLRS", but it's a DC lens, which means that it produces an image circle suited to APS-C-sized sensors in Sigma parlance (i.e. same thing as a Pentax DA or Nikon DX lens).

03-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Aw nutters. 10mm on a full frame SLR would have been soooooooo nice.
03-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Aw nutters. 10mm on a full frame SLR would have been soooooooo nice.
Well, Sigma also makes a full-frame compatible 12-24mm: Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG ASPHERICAL HSM
03-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I am actually contemplating to purchase this zoom for some time. The cost is bothering me a little in deed.

With bar photography, it would be a great lens for sure. Just not sure how many bars actually allow people to photograph these days?
i have no problems... no one has ever bothered me

and ive been to high end places to boot.
03-14-2008, 06:36 AM   #12
hll

you know what, am i thinking of buying 540 and 10-20.
but i could not decide between 10-20 and 12-24 and upcoming 10-24...
your shots with 10-20 are just excellent!!!