Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

opinions on lenses

Thinking about picking up the new Pentax SMCP-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited or

Pentax SMCP-DA 40mm f/2.8 ED (pancake) model. Seems like the 40mm has some good reviews in the database. Any of you guys care to comment on these lenses. Thanks.

CK

03-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think anyone has got 35/2.8 macro yet. It is still "coming soon".
03-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

the da40 pancake is nice for its portability but it's missing speed, but most people consider the FA35mm and FA43mm lenses to be better

but you won't go wrong with any of these choices!
03-12-2008, 02:01 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I can't speak knowledgeably about the 35mm, but my 40mm LTD pancake lens has been great!

It's got it all: sharp, fast, and a lot of fun to use.

One *very* nice feature is that you can manually focus without having to switch the body's focus toggle to manual. That is you can use a 1/2 press to do an automatic focus, or you can simply simply turn the focus ring - while still retaining the ability for a 1/2 press auto-focus in an instant if desired.. It sounds small but it's really helpful for me. If only all lenses would do this!

The lens cap/cover is also cool. It has a center cap which turns the larger cap into a lens hood.

And it's tiny. Very Tiny. So tiny it makes your camera look like a P&S. I think the protrusion at the top of the camera sticks out further. All this really helps if you want to fit it in a large pocket or belt/hip pack.

After years of using primes in the film world, I'm now really lazy and use a zoom (or even lazier a super-zoom) lens most of the time.

That said I carry this lens with me a lot for both "low light" and indoor (sans-flash) use. Part of that's the size, but the images are also clear and sharp.

I've also used it with success as a portrait lens (I would say "some success" but it's hard to convey that the flaws were on the "back end" of the camera :-).

And of course it's great for traveling light or hiking, especially as 'specialty' lens for your lower light shots.

So... no idea about the 35mm, but the 40mm Ltd is one of the "Top 5", or more tellingly among the "5 most frequently used" lenses I own.

Hope this helps.

03-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks

hmmm. thanks for the good info. i am leaning toward the 40mm for it's size and cost. ($250) but maybe i should wait for the reviews to come in on the DA 35mm.