Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #1

What to get next.. Body & lens.

I've been on the market for a new lens but have recently thought I'd like to upgrade my body too.

Body-
I have a K-r which I adore but could use a few of the features the k-5(regular) bring. I have also a k10d which I use at work with my 70-300 Tammy and its a work horse! So I'm really thinking of a used k-5 (or new one as the prices aren't bad). In addition to the features I'd like a weather sealed body for use whenever I want to shoot.

Lens-
If you see my sig, I don't have anything spectacular. Im looking to get some better glass. I tend to use my 17-50 f2.8 Tammy the most and is my best lens. My m lenses are for when I want to get somewhat artsy with MF.. Just got my 10-24 Tammy, so I haven't much used it except for some real state shots. I will use this very much as I love the wide angle for landscapes, architecture & automotive shooting. I rarely use the kit, 35-70 or 70-210. I would eventually like a 15 ltd but I have my eye on a DA* 50-135 f2.8. This seems to fit nicely after my 17-50.

I am skeptical about the SDM. Should I buy new to have Pentax warranty? Used? I've also looked into sigma & tamron 70-200 f2.8s but they seem bigger and no weather sealing which is a big must for me. Is the WR 18-135 even in the ball park? Opinions comments??

05-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get the K5 and you'll never look back. Lens well there is always LBA. If you can swing it get the DA 50-135 F2.8 new in case of SDM failure but Pentax said there is less a chance of failure with new lenses. For wide angle you have the Tamron 10-24 but the DA 15 ltd is a perfect choice. I have the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 which I love just wish it focused faster for sports photography and that's where the Sigma really shines. Just received the 18-135 WR yesterday so the jury is still out on that one. I just wanted a WR lens and it was on sale. This is just my opinion. My next lens will be the DA 15 ltd
05-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're thinking of DA15. Go ahead, give in.

That lens never fails to give me a smile whenever I put it on either my KX or K30.

Yes, it's a bit slow, but it's certainly usable wide open, the perspective alone will convince you that it's worth it. Give it a little sunshine and you'll know that it exceeds all expectations.

I'm even trying to learn how to use it for creative portrait shots. An addictive glass, for sure.
05-30-2013, 12:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fortunately, you have a very good budget lens selection right now.

If you really need the camera features, then go ahead and upgrade it. But the best you're going to get for your money right now is something like the DA*50-135 or the FA77. The DFA 100 WR is also very good, or something like the K200/2.5, FA/DA*200, or F/FA/DA*300. If at all possible keep the camera and get 2 lenses.

There's no perfect solution on K-mount at the wide end - especially if going ultra-wide. The Tamron 10-24 is OK. The DA15 or DA10-17 are excellent, and the Sigma 8-16 is very good and quite sharp if you put it on manual focus and leave it at infinity (it happens to be exactly on the mark on my copy - despite my general dissatisfaction with Sigma rendering I'm very impressed with this lens).

I'd say save the money and go used on anything (except the Sigma 8-16, which can sometimes be hard to find used anyway).

05-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A case could be made for hanging on to your K10D for outdoor daylight use. It is well built, weather resistant and produces beautiful images. You can also use it to hack the DA* lenses (not the 55 though) to work with screw drive AF. Wait and see what the next few months bring....

The DFA100WR would be ideal, as it gives you true macro and WR in a high quality telephoto prime. You already have zooms to cover other parts of the tele range. If your 18-55 is the WR version that would give you pretty good WR coverage. You would aslo save enough (compared to the DA*50-135) to treat yourself to the DA15 with the change
05-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaywes Quote
I have my eye on a DA* 50-135 f2.8.
I just bought one used for $610. I believe it was over 4 years old. Excellent condition and awesome. No problems with SDM. I can't say enough about this lens. Just awesome.

Is the WR 18-135 even in the ball park?
I sold off my WR 18-135 to get the DA*50-135. There is no comparison IMHO. Although at the wide end it wasn't too bad.
05-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've been on the market for a new lens but have recently thought I'd like to upgrade my body too.

Body-
I have a K-r which I adore but could use a few of the features the k-5(regular) bring. I have also a k10d which I use at work with my 70-300 Tammy and its a work horse! So I'm really thinking of a used k-5 (or new one as the prices aren't bad). In addition to the features I'd like a weather sealed body for use whenever I want to shoot.

Lens-
If you see my sig, I don't have anything spectacular. Im looking to get some better glass. I tend to use my 17-50 f2.8 Tammy the most and is my best lens. My m lenses are for when I want to get somewhat artsy with MF.. Just got my 10-24 Tammy, so I haven't much used it except for some real state shots. I will use this very much as I love the wide angle for landscapes, architecture & automotive shooting. I rarely use the kit, 35-70 or 70-210. I would eventually like a 15 ltd but I have my eye on a DA* 50-135 f2.8. This seems to fit nicely after my 17-50.

I am skeptical about the SDM. Should I buy new to have Pentax warranty? Used? I've also looked into sigma & tamron 70-200 f2.8s but they seem bigger and no weather sealing which is a big must for me. Is the WR 18-135 even in the ball park? Opinions comments??
You might not need the lenses, but here's a killer deal on a new red K30:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/226374-red-k-30-kit-2-...ard-675-a.html

The lenses could probably be sold off to recoup some cash, or you can use it to re-jig your kit a bit and swap some other lenses out.

The Tamron 17-50 is also my workhorse, but the the DA 15 Ltd has that magical "je ne sais quoi"/pixie dust quality about it. The field of view between the DA 15 and the TAmmy @ 17 isn't even all that different, yet the DA 15 wipes the floor with it.

Another killer lens is the DA* 50-135. It's just amazing at what it was meant to do, namely portraits and events. I've read that it's a killer landscape lens too, though I'm not too enthusiastic about hiking with it.

K30, DA15, Tamron 17-50, DA* 50-135

That's a solid setup. Looks exactly like mine actually.

05-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
A case could be made for hanging on to your K10D for outdoor daylight use. It is well built, weather resistant and produces beautiful images. You can also use it to hack the DA* lenses (not the 55 though) to work with screw drive AF. Wait and see what the next few months bring....

The DFA100WR would be ideal, as it gives you true macro and WR in a high quality telephoto prime. You already have zooms to cover other parts of the tele range. If your 18-55 is the WR version that would give you pretty good WR coverage. You would aslo save enough (compared to the DA*50-135) to treat yourself to the DA15 with the change
Even tho I am comfortable with the K10d, the image quality will be better from a k-5, plus with added features. Nope- 18-55 is the regular AL version. No WR.

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Fortunately, you have a very good budget lens selection right now.

If you really need the camera features, then go ahead and upgrade it. But the best you're going to get for your money right now is something like the DA*50-135 or the FA77. The DFA 100 WR is also very good, or something like the K200/2.5, FA/DA*200, or F/FA/DA*300. If at all possible keep the camera and get 2 lenses.

There's no perfect solution on K-mount at the wide end - especially if going ultra-wide. The Tamron 10-24 is OK. The DA15 or DA10-17 are excellent, and the Sigma 8-16 is very good and quite sharp if you put it on manual focus and leave it at infinity (it happens to be exactly on the mark on my copy - despite my general dissatisfaction with Sigma rendering I'm very impressed with this lens).

I'd say save the money and go used on anything (except the Sigma 8-16, which can sometimes be hard to find used anyway).
That's an exact definition, as I feel- Budget lens selection. Tho I do like primes I was partial to the da* 50-135 due to it's range and image quality. Both would be the best but the pockets (and wife) would have to cooperate. I have not really ventured into using the Tamron 10-24. I have heard good things. I WILL get the 15 ltd, no question about that but having just purchased the 10-24(like new /used) can't justify that right now.

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just bought one used for $610. I believe it was over 4 years old. Excellent condition and awesome. No problems with SDM. I can't say enough about this lens. Just awesome.

I sold off my WR 18-135 to get the DA*50-135. There is no comparison IMHO. Although at the wide end it wasn't too bad.
Good to know! I think I may go this same route and get it used. Can't see spending the $1k+ on a lens when this is my hobby. Wife would be appalled at $600 let alone $1k haha

I figured the 18-135 wasn't going to be up to par especially being used to my 17-50 f2.8. 18-135 WR crossed off list.

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
You might not need the lenses, but here's a killer deal on a new red K30:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/226374-red-k-30-kit-2-...ard-675-a.html

The lenses could probably be sold off to recoup some cash, or you can use it to re-jig your kit a bit and swap some other lenses out.

The Tamron 17-50 is also my workhorse, but the the DA 15 Ltd has that magical "je ne sais quoi"/pixie dust quality about it. The field of view between the DA 15 and the TAmmy @ 17 isn't even all that different, yet the DA 15 wipes the floor with it.

Another killer lens is the DA* 50-135. It's just amazing at what it was meant to do, namely portraits and events. I've read that it's a killer landscape lens too, though I'm not too enthusiastic about hiking with it.

K30, DA15, Tamron 17-50, DA* 50-135

That's a solid setup. Looks exactly like mine actually.
That is an amazing deal! I really wouldn't need either lens. Honestly, I am partial to the K-5. Not too much of the look of the k30. I looked through the dslr comparison and there aren't much on the k-5 that the k30 doesn't have. Close call. I will do some more research.

Thanks for all the responses guys!
05-31-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That is an amazing deal! I really wouldn't need either lens. Honestly, I am partial to the K-5. Not too much of the look of the k30. I looked through the dslr comparison and there aren't much on the k-5 that the k30 doesn't have. Close call. I will do some more research.

Thanks for all the responses guys!
Yep, I had the same feelings. The K-30 although a great performer just doesn't do it for me in the Looks department, so I ended up buying the K-5. No regrets
06-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K5 or k5iis with a *50-135mm f2.8 and a DA 15 for my vote. The *50-135mm has the best IQ next to a bag of primes and the 15 will fill that gap perfectly.

Randy
06-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
K5 or k5iis with a *50-135mm f2.8 and a DA 15 for my vote. The *50-135mm has the best IQ next to a bag of primes and the 15 will fill that gap perfectly.

Randy
Not the DA 21?
06-02-2013, 07:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Not the DA 21?
Sure why not I have assumed there are budget restrictions?
If money was not an issue I would get the FA 31 instead

Randy
06-04-2013, 06:27 AM   #13

Original Poster
Haha.. I wish there were no budget restrictions. When is there none!? My next lens will probably be DA* 50-135 then ill be on track to get 15 ltd.. Still not sure on body. Though I'd like a K-5, lenses are where the value comes from. I'll have the lenses for far longer.

Appreciate all the post & responses.
06-29-2013, 05:14 AM   #14

Original Poster
I see post like this and I and skeptical about 50-135

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/227909-...35-repair.html
06-29-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
Pentaxian

My 50-135 is over 4 years old and I have no problems with it. I read somewhere on this forum as long as the serial number on the lens starts with the first two numbers 92 then you should be OK.