Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the biggest point for me.,. is the 31 worth the extra money for a very small increase in IQ? unless you compared the sigma with something as brilliant as the 31, then no one would know the difference and the pocket change would come in quite handy

just my opinion

randy

05-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
the biggest point for me.,. is the 31 worth the extra money for a very small increase in IQ?
Well if you read what the owners of this lens say, its not just IQ but the overall package of the lens not limited to but including color, contrast, and that "pixie" dust or wow factor you just can't reproduce with a lesser priced lens.
For me, I wait and save my pennies for at least two or three great lenses. Sometimes buying used if need be. But I think it's worth the wait. That's why I have two fantastic lenses right now (FA 43 & the DA*50-135) and am currently saving for a DA21 or DA 15, or I might get lucky and get the "New" DA zoom lens if it comes out this Fall.
05-31-2013, 05:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Well if you read what the owners of this lens say, its not just IQ but the overall package of the lens not limited to but including color, contrast, and that "pixie" dust or wow factor you just can't reproduce with a lesser priced lens.
For me, I wait and save my pennies for at least two or three great lenses. Sometimes buying used if need be. But I think it's worth the wait. That's why I have two fantastic lenses right now (FA 43 & the DA*50-135) and am currently saving for a DA21 or DA 15, or I might get lucky and get the "New" DA zoom lens if it comes out this Fall.
which new zoom are you referring to?

thanks

randy
05-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
which new zoom are you referring to?

thanks

randy
Referring to FA 31

05-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #20

I tried the old Sigma 30 year ago and found that it was sharp in the centre but soft in the corners. I wanted a good normal and decided to wait until I could find an FA 31. Last October I found a used one hidden behind some Nikon lenses at the Henry's Exposure show and got it for about $600 which made me feel like I won the lottery. It produces stunning images. I have shot primarily with primes for the best part of 40 years and have had a lot of great glass and the FA 31 tops the list as the best of the best. It is sharp and contrasty and the only regret was that I waited so long to buy one. It is the flagship of my eight AF primes (including 4 DA Limiteds) and given it's normal FL gets a lot of use.

I am sure the new Sigma will produce good images and many will be happy with it. But given the price in Canada is over $900, what is a few hundred more. If there is a lens that requires eating Kraft Dinner for a few months, the FA 31 is it in my book.
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
If there is a lens that requires eating Kraft Dinner for a few months, the FA 31 is it in my book.
LOL my sentiments exactly!
06-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Primes4ever Quote
Last October I found a used one hidden behind some Nikon lenses at the Henry's Exposure show and got it for about $600 which made me feel like I won the lottery.
well, thats how i'd feel also I envy you sir!

06-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think if price was equal, I would still choose the FA 31. The difference in bokeh is in favor of the FA 31, sharpness probably a little bit towards the Sigma 35. Both are full frame compatible, but the FA 31 is a smaller package and has a really nice feel. Still, with the price differential, the Sigma is a real player here and I couldn't fault anyone who chose it over the limited lens.
06-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Here's a quick comparison I did of the bokeh on both the Sigma 35 f/1.4 and FA 31 Limited f/1.8. I didn't have a tripod with me, and there was some wind blowing the branches around, so the composition and perspective is not quite the same (and angle of view is different obviously), but they were taken in more or less the same spot. Metering on the Sigma with my K-5 is rather inconsistent compared to the FA (tending towards overexposure). Might be that the Sigma doesn't play nice with my Katzeye focusing screen.

In my opinion, the Sigma has very slightly more center sharpness and contrast at f/1.4 than the FA 31 at f/1.8, but it is pretty much impossible to tell except at 100% crop. The FA 31 has smoother bokeh. The bokeh on the Sigma isn't terrible though, and the problems only really become apparent in high contrast situations, and when viewed at large sizes. The Sigma also has a noticeable advantage in shallow depth of field too, of course.

Can you take a few more pictures/crops and post them without labels? it would be interesting to see which ones people think are better if they don't know the brand.
06-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #25

F1.8 Comparison would be interesting, too.
06-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Can you take a few more pictures/crops and post them without labels? it would be interesting to see which ones people think are better if they don't know the brand.
Sure I can do more tests later in the week, too busy to do any more right now.

Doing the same aperture test should be easy enough, though I think I will stick with f/2 or so. By f/2.8, it gets a bit difficult to get shallow DOF, unless I get very close, which IMO does not allow meaningful judgement of bokeh as the distance to subject/background ratio is skewed.

I'll also have to work out how exactly to do the blind comparison. At the minimum, I would have to crop the FA 31's shots to hide the difference in FOV, and I would probably have to shoot at a slightly different apertures (e.g. 35 @ f/2, 31 @ f/1.8) to mask the difference in DOF, both due to the difference in focal length.
06-02-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Sure I can do more tests later in the week, too busy to do any more right now.

Doing the same aperture test should be easy enough, though I think I will stick with f/2 or so. By f/2.8, it gets a bit difficult to get shallow DOF, unless I get very close, which IMO does not allow meaningful judgement of bokeh as the distance to subject/background ratio is skewed.

I'll also have to work out how exactly to do the blind comparison. At the minimum, I would have to crop the FA 31's shots to hide the difference in FOV, and I would probably have to shoot at a slightly different apertures (e.g. 35 @ f/2, 31 @ f/1.8) to mask the difference in DOF, both due to the difference in focal length.
Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time.

I own the 31mm LTD and it is an excellent lens. I don't think the difference that I see is worth picking up the Sigma, but I would like to see a blind test. On a FF the difference might be more pronounced, but if Pentax releases a FF then a new FA* 35mm (or 31mm) would be on the way.
06-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This comparison makes me realize that it's still a long way for me to save for a 31mm. Personally, the OOF rendering of the 31 is still ahead of this Sigma.

But a blind test will be very interesting indeed.
06-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Through this varied life of ours there're very few things one can hold onto as consistent and true.

No-one's ever going to find a better lens than the FA31.

I think that's one.
06-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Through this varied life of ours there're very few things one can hold onto as consistent and true.

No-one's ever going to find a better lens than the FA31.

I think that's one.
I've owned the FA 31 for quite some time, and it's one of my favorite lenses, but it's far from perfect. There are plenty of obvious ways it can be improved.

For instance, mechanically it would really benefit by adding Quick Shift, better AF and a better designed hood (preferably removeable, or at least retractable). Optically, it has a fair bit of purple fringing and longitudinal CA ("bokeh fringing"), which become pretty obvious when shooting wide open (necessary for shallow DOF) in high contrast conditions, even when viewed at normal sizes. In all these ways the Sigma 35 has a distinct advantage over the FA 31.

If Pentax could address these issues I mentioned, and add WR, making a DFA 31, that would make it a near-perfect lens. Oh and release a FF camera to mount it on.