Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

Asahi Pentax SMC 50mm F1.2 Lens partlally machined to easily adapt to Canon EOS

Would you get one and what is a good price to you?

What are the shortcoming of it being modified for canon and also if this is usable for pentax body?

Thanks

05-31-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If its somehow grinded down to get to EOS flange distance, then forget it.
It also hints at the kind of attitude the seller/converter had w/ lenses. (Ie. Heck care)
You may have inaccurate focus at infinity too, depending on care during the grinding down (On EOS mount)
You probably can only focus near on K-mount.

Typical conversion is just to remove the lever guard (just 3 screws),
Cut off the aperture lever. (Unless one finds the lever mechanism from another spoilt lens to use)
Use a k-eos adapter.
This way, the lens is still usable on K-mount, but the aperture stops down when you change f-stop.

You need to try out the lens for sure.
05-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #3

Original Poster

This is the picture the seller send me and this is what he told me,There is only cylindrical rear lens barrel cut off not to touch the reflex mirror

Last edited by iittoo; 05-31-2013 at 04:45 AM.
05-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Looks ok.
Seems like lever guard was grind down and lever cut off.
It works just like a takumar lens.

05-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Without the aperture leaver it will even have an advantage on your Pentax. Without it, you can switch to AV mode and it will constantly calculate the appropriate shutter speed, without you having to use the green button all the time.
05-31-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Butchered! Canon fu$%ers. Hate it when I see stuff like this.
05-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Butchered! Canon fu$%ers. Hate it when I see stuff like this.
What do you hate? When Pentax fails to provide a camera format for which your lens was designed and the other brands don't? There simply is no other choice.
05-31-2013, 06:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What do you hate? When Pentax fails to provide a camera format for which your lens was designed and the other brands don't? There simply is no other choice.
It would have been far easier to simply take off the mounting flange and remove the lever. This modification is irreversible without obtaining another aperture lever, so it's unnecessary butchery. I despair at this sort of thing, rather than get angry.

05-31-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It would have been far easier to simply take off the mounting flange and remove the lever. This modification is irreversible without obtaining another aperture lever, so it's unnecessary butchery. I despair at this sort of thing, rather than get angry.
I agree it should be a crime to butcher a Pentax lens. I’d skip buying this one, there are lots of Pentax 50/1.2s for sale that are intact. I hope the seller gets stuck with it!

Phil.
05-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bollocks! The vast majority doing this are not because Pentax won't deliver a format that the lens was originally designed for but because 1: A50 f/1.2 is better optically than the equivalent EF lens and 2: because it is half the price!
As Phil says, walk away and get a properly functioning A series.
05-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks guys,I will reconsider about it but the asking price is 305usd with shipping to my country..that's why i am tempted as a normal K50 f1.2 would cost easily at least 400 plus to 500 usd?
05-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The usual solution is to grind the mirror on the Canon. This issue is long-standing (dates back to the earlier FD mount), is not limited to Pentax glass, and is well known in Canon circles. Most Canon owners who shoot non-Canon glass are sensitive to the value and heritage of the lenses they use and choose to respect the lens over the body.

Steve
05-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iittoo Quote
asking price is 305usd with shipping to my country.
Walk away. The price is too, too high for damaged goods.

Steve
06-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Not all lever mechanisms cab be removed.
Many are fixed to the aperture moving mechanism.

Looking at it objectively, the lens is functional in most ways other than no open metering and dark viewfinder for f4 and higher usage.
06-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

I'm sure the wait for a "virgin" 1.2 would be worth the price in the end, recommend the A series.