Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Indoor Lens?

What the best lens for indoor baskeball? Also the best lens for a concert indoor at the Radio City in N.Y.C.

03-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I'm usually in the first row or two somewhere between baseline and halfway between baseline and halfcourt. Best value lens for me is the FA 50/1.4. I use either manual focus or AF-S, around 160-200, about 2.8 and ISO 800/1600 and I pick a spot on the floor that I expect the player I'm interested in to be. A 28-70 and 2.8 would be nice if $ was not a concern. I throw the kit lens on for team shots. Some others will probably prefer a longer lens but 2.8 or faster will be a common theme. Try the kit lens or an old zoom and get a feel for the distances and lighting you expect. Ken.
03-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You need a fast lens! As 103 indicated, it is hard to beat the FA 50/1.4. I shoot a lot of basketball, and my lens of choice is also the FA 50 f/1.4. Here are some of my recommendations:

1) Set shutter speed to 1/250. That is a good rule of thumb for stopping basketball action without blur.
2) Get to the gym a bit early so you can use the meter and take a few test shots. Lighting in a gym is pretty consistent, so you can go to manual mode, and keep the exposure the same in each shot. In our high-school gym, my settings are typically f/1.7, ISO 800

Here is a sample: basketball game sample with FA50/1.4

For Radio City, your strategy will have to be a bit different since lighting changes during the show. Determine the best compromise shutter speed to stop motion. 1/125 may be a good first guess. Since lighting during a show constantly changes, manual will be cumbersome. Shoot in Tv mode at the shutter speed that you found to be best. You can also run auto ISO, or set it yourself.

Good luck and come back with samples!
01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
You need a fast lens! As 103 indicated, it is hard to beat the FA 50/1.4. I shoot a lot of basketball, and my lens of choice is also the FA 50 f/1.4. Here are some of my recommendations:

1) Set shutter speed to 1/250. That is a good rule of thumb for stopping basketball action without blur.
2) Get to the gym a bit early so you can use the meter and take a few test shots. Lighting in a gym is pretty consistent, so you can go to manual mode, and keep the exposure the same in each shot. In our high-school gym, my settings are typically f/1.7, ISO 800

Here is a sample: basketball game sample with FA50/1.4

For Radio City, your strategy will have to be a bit different since lighting changes during the show. Determine the best compromise shutter speed to stop motion. 1/125 may be a good first guess. Since lighting during a show constantly changes, manual will be cumbersome. Shoot in Tv mode at the shutter speed that you found to be best. You can also run auto ISO, or set it yourself.

Good luck and come back with samples!
That a good shot i love it. What about outdoor basketball in spring and summertime?