Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #1

"limited" lenses

Hello all

I'm wondering what "limited" means in some Pentax lens designations, since they were mostly well reviewed.

Jim177

05-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe it is pretty much a marketing term for 2 series of lenses (DA Ltd and FA Ltd). Anyone can buy one anytime :-)
05-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It means that they are primes that are made of metal with tighter tolerances than standard lenses. There are two categories of Limited Lenses the FA and DA lines. The DAs are APS-C lenses without external aperture rings and the DAs are Full Frame lenses with external aperture rings.

DA 15, 21, 35-Macro, 40, 70
FA 31, 43, 77
05-31-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The DAs are APS-C lenses without external aperture rings and the DAs are Full Frame lenses with external aperture rings.
But the DAs have quick shift and the FAs don't.

To further confuse things Pentax has occasionally released "Limited Edition" items which are just that, a small run of a product that has a special feature, often a different color but otherwise is the same as the regular production. For example the k-5 was released as a "Limited Edition" silver version.

But as for the lens designation it basically means top of the line for Pentax primes.

05-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
But the DAs have quick shift and the FAs don't.

To further confuse things Pentax has occasionally released "Limited Edition" items which are just that, a small run of a product that has a special feature, often a different color but otherwise is the same as the regular production. For example the k-5 was released as a "Limited Edition" silver version.

But as for the lens designation it basically means top of the line for Pentax primes.
Yes, I always forget about the QuickShift feature. When I'm shooting AF I don't manually focus and when I am manually focusing all lenses are quick shift
05-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jim177 Quote
Hello all

I'm wondering what "limited" means in some Pentax lens designations, since they were mostly well reviewed.

Jim177
It basically means "premium", though limited DA lenses tend to prioritize small size over speed, and they always feature a nice metal build quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2013, 09:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

What limited really means is that you want one. Once you have them, you will understand. Just wonderful to own.

05-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It means you can't be limited to just one.

I know from experience. I just wanted a DA15.

Last edited by klh; 06-01-2013 at 07:38 AM.
06-01-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

And I thought Ltd meant you were limited to only falling in love and being totally fanatical about these designated lenses.
06-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

In practical terms "Limited" means "Premium series" for Pentax lenses.

Now, for the marketing-spiel, that I heard some from a local sales rep, many years back when the three FA lenses came out, and which probably is true only in that sales-rep's own mind........

According to him, "Limited" did not refer to total production volume, as they planned to continue manufacturing them - but rather to the fact that the lenses were hand-made ("to the tightest precisions") and tested individually, and so how many they could produce was "limited by the availability of the highest-quality materials and skilled craftsmen"....

As I said, that's probably the truth only within some Pentax rep's head - in practical terms, when I see "Pentax Limited" it means "premium lens, good quality, hasn't held a bad copy yet".
06-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The exact formulation in the Pentax lenses and accessories brochure:
"DA Limited: Fixed focal length lenses built to demanding standards with metal housings and distinguished by the quality of their elements and the care taken in construction."
This also applies to FA Limited (they are not in the brochure).
06-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jim177 Quote
"limited" lenses
Just a naming convention for IMHO the Pentax top of the range product.
06-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers

Thanks to all who replied to my question on what "limited" lenses means.

Jim177
06-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
It means you can't be limited to just one.

I know from experience. I just wanted a DA15.
Uh-oh. I don't have any Limiteds, but I want a DA15. I'm in trouble, aren't I?
06-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #15
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Uh-oh. I don't have any Limiteds, but I want a DA15. I'm in trouble, aren't I?
Yes, you are in trouble. The DA15 will cost you at least $2000 by the time you've bought enough Limiteds.