Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Filter stuck to Sigma 24 superwide II

Hi All,

I bought a Sigma superwide II (24mm) a few months ago. For the most part I am pleased - excellent IQ (by my standards) and a 36mm field of view. The only problem that I have encountered is that it arrived with a UV filter attached, and I have been unable to detach it. I have applied a considerable amount of torque (by hand), to no avail.

I don't care about the filter, but I don't want to damage the lens... Any suggestions?

05-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stuck filter

A lot of stores carry filter wrenches. They are generally sold in pairs for a few dollars. I recently had a stuck filter on my Tamron 90mm macro an luckily I happen to have one. Works really good.
05-31-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

find a little wide rubber band put around the filter and turn. If the rubber band does not help then use a tight wrap.
05-31-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If everything looks normal on the lens thread, ie no dents or deformation, then try putting the lens filter side down on the sole of a shoe and turn the lens counter clockwise while pressing down.
This avoids any deformation of the filter that occurs when you try to remove it by hand and makes it stick.

05-31-2013, 09:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Often the harder you try the more you deform the filter thus wedging it even tighter. The metal is so thin that any pressure sideways on it actually locks it tighter. The trick is to apply even pressure all the way around with a filter wrench or rubber band. Or try something anti-slip on the front edges of the filter but not on the sides. A shoe sole as suggested above might work but a rubber kitchen jar lid remover laid flat on the counter might be more uniform.
05-31-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the quick replies..!
05-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

As several have stated the more pressure you put on it, the harder it can be to remove. I've actually found a simple solution often works, and that is to pinch only one side of the metal filter rim between your fingers instead of grabbing around the full outside. This doesn't add any pressure and often results in an easy removal assuming there are no issues with the filter or lens threads themselves. I'm sure one of the many solutions above will help too!

05-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken T Quote
find a little wide rubber band put around the filter and turn. If the rubber band does not help then use a tight wrap.

Cable ties which are ordinarily used to keep computer cabling tidy can be extremely useful for this purpose.They distribute pressure equally around the circumference of the filter frame
05-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

And (after the filter is off) I run a pencil (graphite) around the threads. Seems to help a lot, even if there is some deformation.
05-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a 2B pencil for that. The harder the pencil is the more clay they use to harden the graphite, clay tends to gum up and abrade filter threads, so using a soft pencil is the best way to go.
06-01-2013, 02:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Take a hacksaw, place it blade down so that the saw bisects the filter. Begin cutting. Stop when you're deep enough that you cannot twist the blade unless the filter twists with it. This should be just before the blade teeth touch the glass.

Now you have a hacksaw screwdriver to take that filter off.

The filter will no longer be usable.
06-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As previously suggested - Adorama Filter Wrench for 67mm-77mm Filters,Pack of 2 7206
06-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #13

I used to make filter wrenches for this until I discovered that a simple hose clamp works just as well. Get one at the auto parts store and slowly increase tension until is stops slipping. Then just twist the filter off.
06-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

If all else fails, go for the torch.

(Obviously joking!)
06-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have used a strap wrench to separate filters. The most extreme was two 116mm filters jammed together. Needed to buy a second, really big , strap wrench. Rubinar filters have really roughly machined threads that feel like plumbing fittings.

Also useful for jar lids and plumbing stuff.

That needs a little thought about the hygiene implications!