Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the insight... it helps greatly in my upcoming purchase... I know photography and what I need and what focal lengths... I just am not all that clear on the Pentax line... this info has helped me decide to hunt for the right price on either the 20 or 24... as in the end, the cost of the lens must fit my budget.

06-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I have the FA20/2.8, the FA*24/2 and the DA*16-50/2.8, and they are all good lenses, in their own ways. None of them are cheap, but there's an old saying about getting what you pay for.

After reading the comparison on PF between the FA20/2.8 and the DA21/3.2, I decided the FA20 was the more versatile of the two, as it was slightly wider and faster but, more importantly, not limited to the APS-C sensor format. If you like bigger lenses, it's that, too, especially with the dinner-plate sized original lens hood mounted! On the aesthetic front, however, the FA*24/2 wins hands down, IMHO, even if it has a reputation as the least starred FA* lens. The 24 is probably the most versatile of the Pentax wide-angles, but sometimes you just need that extra width, especially when your legs have zoomed you as far back as possible.

That, of course, is where the DA*16-50/2.8 comes into its own. It has its fans and detractors here, for reasons that are well-stated. Suffice it to say that I like its positive aspects more than I dislike the negative ones mine has the dreaded SDM problem, and I've just had its mount off and "unstuck" the drive motor again (about an annual task, with the usage it gets from me). However, versatility, flare control, bokeh and colour rendition are the positives that keep it with me. Come to that, the latter three are the ones that keep me with the FA20 and the FA*24, as well.
Interesting thoughts... I just bought a used (screwdrive hacked) DA16-50, waiting for it to arrive.
My budget is pretty limited and I sacrificed compactness for convinience. I use the DA18-55WR a lot more than Id like to (I thought I would find a way arround the DA* with some good primes I already had / new old ones but it is difficult to be changing lens in chalenging conditions). The only thing I am a bit scared is about having sucha a big glass in front of my camera... I never do nor like it
06-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Interesting thoughts... I just bought a used (screwdrive hacked) DA16-50, waiting for it to arrive.
My budget is pretty limited and I sacrificed compactness for convinience. I use the DA18-55WR a lot more than Id like to (I thought I would find a way arround the DA* with some good primes I already had / new old ones but it is difficult to be changing lens in chalenging conditions). The only thing I am a bit scared is about having sucha a big glass in front of my camera... I never do nor like it
You will probably get used to it I thought the same thing for a while and babied it with a UV filter. Eventually it stayed off after I got tired of swapping large filters when I wanted a CPL in its place, which was quite often. Good filters of that diameter are expensive, too, but much cheaper than having to replace a front element, of course. The large petal hood is sufficient protection for most circumstances, but if I am going to use the lens in adverse conditions, the filter goes back on.

Visually, the 16-50 looks OK on the K-5, I think, but you learn to appreciate a good neck strap, with the weight.