Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which 20 something Prime?

I am interested in getting a 20 something Auto Focus Lens. Basically the Pentax 20mm f2.8 or the Pentax 24mm F2. Basically I want a lens that will equal 30mm to 35mm equiv. on a Pentax APS-C body. This is for use shooting groups/events with flash, and sometimes (rarely) with out flash. I do want Autofocus. Not sure if there are choices other than Pentax made... but I am in getting into Pentax because of Pentax optics. I know Sigma has some large primes in this range, but I have always been suspect of the brand because of the reviews of the brand on any mount.

thoughts? suggestions? I have time to research before I make my purchase... Thanks as always!

06-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbmax Quote
I am interested in getting a 20 something Auto Focus Lens. Basically the Pentax 20mm f2.8 or the Pentax 24mm F2. Basically I want a lens that will equal 30mm to 35mm equiv. on a Pentax APS-C body. This is for use shooting groups/events with flash, and sometimes (rarely) with out flash. I do want Autofocus. Not sure if there are choices other than Pentax made... but I am in getting into Pentax because of Pentax optics. I know Sigma has some large primes in this range, but I have always been suspect of the brand because of the reviews of the brand on any mount.

thoughts? suggestions? I have time to research before I make my purchase... Thanks as always!
Those are both pricey lenses, but I don't think you can go wrong with them. My personal solution is the Sony NEX with a Sigma 19/2.8, which is very nice. Before that I had a DA21 Limited, which was a little better optically. Is the DA21 too slow for you?
06-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
No I could live with a F4 lens... but the DA21 is too small physically for my needs... I really want it to look like a lens... I know that sounds weird...

Maybe my best bet would be the 16-45 F4?
06-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
16-45 F4 is a good idea, offers versatility when you need it, and can probably be aquired for $200 or so used. (There's one locally going for that price, and I'm in Canada, which means 10-15% higher prices across the board generally)

06-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Check out the reviews section here on the various lenses, though if I were wanting one of the lenses you posted it would be the Pentax 24 f/2. If you're okay with a zoom look at both the Sigma and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. They both get great reviews, with the Sigma beating the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8. I have the Tamron version and I love it.
06-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well if you like big, and zooms are an option, you might also consider the Tamron 17-50/2.8.
06-01-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No I could live with a F4 lens... but the DA21 is too small physically for my needs... I really want it to look like a lens... I know that sounds weird...

Yeah, that does sound weird. Have you looked at the photos published using the DA21?

06-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That was a new one I've never heard before. Care to elaborate as I'm truly curious, not judging, just curious?

The DA* 16-50 is a lot bigger at least.
06-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
I am old enough that I used 35mm cameras... when from that era, one has gotten use to a certain "look". I like/want smaller bodies, lenses but I am also I intend to use my gear to produce income. Going into a corporate environment to photograph a party or event I don't want to stand out with a setup that looks "different". It's sort of a matter of looking the part, image if you will. It's really hard to explain in a forum... The 24mm f2 gives me a 35mm lens equiv (the focal length I am ultimately wanting) AND looks like a lens. Not sure that explains it properly.
06-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

LOL
I see where you are coming from. When I was doing a photoshoot with the 21mm of kids one kid comes up and says my dad's camera is bigger. I smiled. I asked a press photographer to take a shot with the kids and myself and the press photographer said wow nice kit.

I think if you go pentax go all the way. Use the 21mm. We have real class.
06-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You could impress them with the mighty 12-24 and its large hood :-)
06-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Zav
Pentaxian

Go for the Sigma 24mm. Not the best lens, just the big lens.
Sigma AF 24mm f/1.8 EX DG (DX) - Review / Lab Test Report
06-02-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are going to photograph an event, you might find a prime limiting. I'd get the DA*16-50/2.8 zoom. It looks like the bees knees, with its massive front element and gold trim and is also at its best at around 20mm.
06-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I do want Autofocus
I've found that due to the huge DOF on my SMC Pentax-A 20mm F2.8, focus can be preset and then almost forgotten about, leaving me more time to concentrate on composition.
06-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the FA20/2.8, the FA*24/2 and the DA*16-50/2.8, and they are all good lenses, in their own ways. None of them are cheap, but there's an old saying about getting what you pay for.

After reading the comparison on PF between the FA20/2.8 and the DA21/3.2, I decided the FA20 was the more versatile of the two, as it was slightly wider and faster but, more importantly, not limited to the APS-C sensor format. If you like bigger lenses, it's that, too, especially with the dinner-plate sized original lens hood mounted! On the aesthetic front, however, the FA*24/2 wins hands down, IMHO, even if it has a reputation as the least starred FA* lens. The 24 is probably the most versatile of the Pentax wide-angles, but sometimes you just need that extra width, especially when your legs have zoomed you as far back as possible.

That, of course, is where the DA*16-50/2.8 comes into its own. It has its fans and detractors here, for reasons that are well-stated. Suffice it to say that I like its positive aspects more than I dislike the negative ones – mine has the dreaded SDM problem, and I've just had its mount off and "unstuck" the drive motor again (about an annual task, with the usage it gets from me). However, versatility, flare control, bokeh and colour rendition are the positives that keep it with me. Come to that, the latter three are the ones that keep me with the FA20 and the FA*24, as well.